- Microsoft has declared end of support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014.
- No updates available from Microsoft, so new vulnerabilities discovered in Windows XP after its “end of life” will not be addressed by new security updates from Microsoft.
- Attackers will be more active as defenders (MS) is not watching it’s back for Win XP.
Your Known Traditional way
- User is intimated for giving laptop/desktop (called as endpoint) to IT team for OS migration.
- User takes data backup himself.
- User gives Endpoint to IT team & roams around till he/she gets the endpoint back.
- IT manually/automatically (with some imaging software) format endpoint with Windows 7 image.
- Adding to domain.
- Dumping data back into C: drive in a backup folder (Most likely IT misses to take backup of the favorites/Bookmarks).
- IT returns the Endpoint to user after 2-3 hours of activity.
- User takes some time to return back in production as he struggles to locate his files. Sometimes printer missing or his custom installed applications are missing.
In a nutshell, End user is unproductive all the time IT takes for Migration and also after that for couple of days.
Modern way with VMware
- On Mirage Server (8 Mouse Clicks)
- In Mirage Console, Click on XP to Windows 7 Migration.
- Select Base image to apply & click next.
- Select Endpoint’s you want to migrate (I can select all at same time) & click on select button & click next.
- Validated results will be shown in case of any mismatch to be fixed. Click next.
- Click on finish on final screen.
On Endpoint (1 Mouse Click)
- User continues to work. Mirage is pushing the binaries for migration in the background over network .
- Please note, files are transferred using network deduplication making sure no local files are re-transferred. Also Branch reflector enables peer-to-peer image download.
- Once all bits are downloaded on user’s endpoint, user gets a popup to reboot for migration.
- User clicks on Reboot now Option.
- Endpoint reboots and migrates from XP to Windows 7. It takes around 20-40 minutes for migration.
- One more reboot required by OS after applying the changes.
- After reboot user can login into its new Windows 7 image.
- Watch out video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfedbA552GI
- User is productive all the time.
- End user experience remains intact.
- All data, bookmarks , Wall paper etc is intact.
- If user doesn’t like windows 7, he can be reverted back to his same windows XP image.
- 1500 Endpoints can be migrated in one short.
Above migration using VMware Horizon Mirage can be done OVER WAN AS WELL and this is the uniqueness of this solution.