FROM THE EDITORS VIRTUAL DESK
Hi everyone, welcome to another edition of the VMware TAM newsletter. Last week I provided some updates on VMworld Europe and this week we will be wrapping up the event and many of the announcements. This week we will let the newsletter do the talking so please take some time to read through all of the announcements, webinars and of course new security announcements that may affect you. Consider discussing any of these items with your TAM who is always there to help.
VMware TAM Team
Twitter | Facebook | Archive
VMWARE SECURITY ADVISORIES
VMware ESXi, Workstation, and Fusion updates address uninitialized stack memory usage.
The VMware Learning Zone (VLZ), your gateway to success
Whether you are new to VMware software or working your way toward advanced level certifications, the VMware Learning Zone (VLZ) is an invaluable source for our basic and subscription level content. Here is an overview of what you will discover:
- Learning options range from short videos on the latest hot topics to full On Demand Courses
- Subscriptions for individual learners up to enterprise-level customers who need to train global teams
- Deep dive VMware Certification Exam Prep courses
Getting started on VMware Learning Zone is free with the Basic Learning Subscription.
VMWORLD EUROPE UPDATES
VMware's Intent to Acquire Heptio:
- Heptio, based in Seattle, was founded by Joe Beda and Craig McLuckie, two of the creators of Kubernetes, with a mission to support and advance the open Kubernetes ecosystem. The team has been focused on creating products and services that make it easier to manage multiple clusters across multiple clouds.
VMware Container Offerings:
- announcement of VMware® PKS - purpose-built container solution to operationalize Kubernetes for multi-cloud enterprises and service providers to significantly simplify the deployment and management of Kubernetes clusters
- announcement of VMware® Cloud PKS - enterprise Kubernetes-as-a-Service offering in the VMware Cloud Services portfolio that provides easy to use, secure by default, cost-effective SaaS-based Kubernetes clusters
- announcement of VMware Smart ClusterTM - a key feature within VMware Cloud PKS which enables scalable Kubernetes clusters that are constantly optimized to the application needs, and always up to date with the latest release versions
VMware Virtualization at the Edge:
- check out this presentation on VMware at the Edge of your data center, including the work we've been doing to run ESX on ARM processors, and ESX running on Raspberry Pi.
Project Dimension for the Edge (tech preview):
- Announced at VMworld US, Project Dimension is a new managed service which enables provisioning, deployment and ongoing operation of VMware-based SDDC infrastructure, via VMware's ability to push aaS devices to the edge (either IoT or Cloud edge).
- The two main components are, 1 - the cloud management plane using certain technologies from VMware Cloud on AWS, and 2 - integrated SDDC physical offerings purchased and deployed on-premises by customers in conjunction with OEM partners.
- The service will allow customers to provision new edge locations in a self-service fashion from a cloud interface.
- Configuration and sizing of compute, storage and networking will be done online, and the hardware will be delivered directly to a specified edge or customer premises location. Once installed, the zero-touch provisioning procedures begin automatically.
VMware Cloud Foundation 3.5:
- support for any network switch, existing network architecture, any vSAN ReadyNode
- support for external NFS storage
- support for multi-cluster workload domains
- full multi-site support (vSAN, DR, and NSX)
- NSX-T support and PKS guidance
- support for flexible workload domain licensing (use editions as needed by use cases)
VMware Cloud on AWS updates: (Oct 25th Release)
- expansion to multiple new regions - Ireland, N. California, Ohio, Tokyo, Gov Cloud US West
- unified in-product support experience
- enhanced VDI support
- connectivity and migration enhancements
- software-based data at rest encryption
- granular network flow, packet level visibility and firewall rule logging
- SOC 1&2 Type 2 compliance
- 2X Scale (1000 VM’s per SDDC)
- Hybrid Cloud DR with VxRAIL and VMware Site Recovery
- Run Citrix Virtual Desktop and Apps
- AWS Direct Connect Interconnectivity
- Interconnectivity with NSX Edge IPsec Routed VPN
- Native Connectivity between Workload and Management Infrastructure
- Elastic DRS
- Three host SDDC Cluster
- VM Affinity and Anti-Affinity rules
- Many other features announced
- Horizon 7 on VMware Cloud on AWS updated to include VDI, RDSH, Full Clones and Instant Clones; App Volumes with the upcoming release of Horizon 7.7
* this puts Horizon 7 on VMware Cloud on AWS at parity with on-premise Horizon 7 (except a few minor features we won’t be supporting. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/58539)
* Integration of Horizon 7 with Horizon Cloud Service — this brings unified visibility, health monitoring and Helpdesk services
* preview of the automated installation of Horizon 7 infrastructure
* support for bursting and DR use cases for Horizon 7 on VMC on AWS
- New capabilities to improve modern management and security across more apps and devices
* new automation connector in Workspace One to connect to any ticketing or notification system via API
* easily push out Win32 app packages from Flexera
* query any system attribute across software, firmware, BIOS in both Windows (announced at VMworld US) and Mac OS (sensors, announced at VMworld Europe) for building automated workflows
- New in-platform integrations which tie into Ecosystem Partner Solutions
- GA of Workspace One Intelligent Hub
* rebranded AirWatch Agent
* leverage Gmail through Boxer (Workspace ONE Boxer)
* visibility in to secure, containerized app performance
* leverage Blast protocol to remote into physical endpoints
* new Privacy SDK - allows in-app privacy messaging
* session collaboration with up to 10 employees at once for Linux and Windows sessions
- Expanded Partner Integrations - Partnerships with Azure, Apple, AWS, Okta, Carbon Black, Google, Nvidia, Samsung, others
- Integration with AppDefense & Carbon Black to prevent detected threats from traversing the data center (tech preview)
- NSX now available with Horizon Cloud on Azure, to tag VMs and prevent potential threats on virtual desktops
- Now able to ingest Identity Intelligence into Workspace One, to look for malicious behavior, and determine which applications are using licenses for license tracking and cost containment needs
Network Insight 4.0: (Includes on-prem and SAAS versions)
- traffic analysis and security planning for VMC on AWS workloads
- hybrid networking path visibility between on-premise and cloud
- significant underlay support for Cisco ACI to provide end to end visibility; BGP EVPN support; new Checkpoint Scenarios, S-Flow analysis; new analytic support with things like dynamic threshold detection for network metrics
- GA for Cloud Motion with Replication - this is for customers needing to do large scale, parallel live VM migrations into VMC on AWS (brings bulk migration and vMotion into a single solution)
NEWS AND DEVELOPMENTS FROM VMWARE
Open Source Blog
- A VMware Perspective on Open Source in China – Part One, Cloud Native
By Alan Ren I lead VMware’s Advanced Technology and Evangelism Center—or simply, VMware’s R&D efforts—in China and o...
- Open Source in the Era of 5G
Last week, I had the pleasure of speaking once again at All Things Open 2018. If you’re not familiar with All Things Ope...
- How to Throw an Open Source Halloween Party
All Hallows’ Eve is lurking in the shadows just around the corner, which means it’s time to start stocking up on candy, ...
- Transitioning to Embedded Linux? Check Out the Embedded Apprentice Linux Engineer (E-ALE) Program
If you’re thinking about working with Embedded Linux, you should know about the Embedded Apprentice Linux Engineer progr...
- The Future of Service Mesh, Part Two: What’s Next After Istio 1.0
By Stephen McPolin and Venil Noronha In part one of our service mesh series, we argued that service meshes are both an i...
Network Virtualization Blog
- Check Point CloudGuard now supports North-South service insertion for NSX-T Data Center
With VMworld Europe just around the corner, we are excited to announce that our valued partner Check Point’s product Clo...
- Education Service Center Region 11 Protects Student Data with VMware NSX Data Center
Rory Peacock is the Deputy Executive Director of Technology at Education Service Center Region 11, where he oversees all...
- Flexible deployment options for NSX-T Data Center Edge VM
Each datacenter is unique and is designed to serve the specific business needs. To serve these business needs, you could...
- Accelerated Data Plane Performance Using Enhanced Data Path in NUMA Architecture
Authors: Jambi Ganbar (Sr. Technical Solutions Manager, NFV), Jubin Thomas (NSX Information Experience team) Overview So...
- Inaugural 2018 Gartner Magic Quadrant for WAN Edge Infrastructure and VMware NSX SD-WAN by VeloCloud
Congratulations to the VMware NSX SD-WAN by VeloCloud team for its recognition as a Leader in the first Gartner Magic Qu...
- Announcing Project Dimension Beta
Today at the VMworld Europe Day 1 General Session, we announced the Project Dimension Beta Program. We’re really excited...
- External Platform Services Controller, A Thing of the Past
VMware is deprecating the external Platform Services Controller deployment model. In a future vSphere release (not updat...
- Announcing the vSphere 6.7 Update 1 Security Configuration Guide
Back in March I released the vSphere 6.5 Update 1 Security Configuration Guide (a.k.a “The SCG”). At that time, I went i...
- Announcing General Availability of VMware vSphere Platinum
Today, I am excited to announce the general availability of VMware vSphere Platinum, the latest edition of our industry ...
- vSphere Update Manager Enhancements in vSphere 6.7 Update 1
vSphere 6.7 Update 1 is now out, and with that the vSphere Client is now Fully Featured for your vSphere Environment. W...
Cloud management Blog
- Automating at Scale with vRO and vRA
Writing code has never been so accessible before. You can bootstrap a web application in 15 minutes with Rails and deplo...
- Easing patching of vRealize products with vRSLCM 2.0
Managing the patch installation on different products manually is a tedious job and more difficult when different produc...
- Announcing General Availability of VMware vRealize Operations for Power
VMware and IBM are very excited to announce the general availability of VMware vRealize Operations for Power, a new VMwa...
- vRealize Network Insight 4.0: Hybrid Cloud Visibility & Analytics
Announcing VMware vRealize Network Insight 4.0 Today at VMWorld Barcelona, VMware announced vRealize Network Insight 4.0...
- Introducing VMware vCloud Suite 2018 Platinum!
VMware is announcing the release of VMware vCloud Suite 2018 Platinum. The new bundle is planned to be available alongsi...
Cloud Native Blog
- Try VMware Cloud PKS (Formerly VKE) today and the first $150 is on us!
Back in June this year, we announced the public Beta of VMware Kubernetes Engine (VKE), which offers Kubernetes as a Ser...
- Looking Forward to Welcoming Heptio, and the Evolution of Multi-Cloud Infrastructure
By Paul Fazzone, SVP and GM Cloud-Native Apps Today at VMworld 2018 Europe, I am excited to share some exciting ...
- VMware PKS Introduces Support for Routable Pod Networks
By Narayan Mandaleeka, Senior Product Line Manager, and Hanlin Shi, Member of Technical Staff, Cloud-Native Apps BU, VMw...
- VMworld Europe Lands in the World of Gaudi
by Susan Wu, Senior Product Marketing Manager, Cloud-Native Apps Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia and land o...
- Securing VKE Workloads with Aporeto
by Amir Sharif, Co-Founder, Aporeto VMware Kubernetes Engine (VKE) is Kubernetes-as-a-Service offering in the gro...
- Phoenix Children’s Hospital Wins Mobie Award for Workspace ONE UEM Deployment
The Mobies, Enterprise Mobility Exchange’s awards highlighting companies for excellence in mobilization and digital tran...
- OEMConfig is Here!
Overview Since the inception of mobile device management for Android devices, management capabilities have been based so...
- Workspace ONE Boxer Expands to Support G Suite for Secure, Containerized Email
We are thrilled to announce that Workspace ONE Boxer supports Google’s G Suite! Customers using G Suite for corporate em...
- VMworld 2018 Europe: New Innovations Coming Your Way with the Intelligence-driven Digital Workspace
At VMworld US in Las Vegas, we announced game-changing updates to VMware Workspace ONE to drive employee productivity an...
- What’s New with Horizon 7 on VMware Cloud on AWS
Extending Horizon 7 on VMware Cloud on AWS with Horizon Cloud Service Several months ago, we announced the preview of Ho...
vCloud Foundation Blog
- Announcing VMware Cloud Foundation 3.5
Today at VMworld EMEA 2018, we are announcing VMware Cloud Foundation 3.5. VMware Cloud Foundation continues to provide...
- Integrated Composability with VMware Cloud Foundation and HPE Synergy
Author Bhumik Patel – Technical Alliances, VMware @bhumikp Introduction: Earlier this year we announced cer...
- VMware Validated Designs at VMworld Europe 2018
The VMware Validated Design team has something for everyone, even if you’re not able to attend, at VMworld Europe ...
- Cloud Foundation – The Power Behind VMware’s Cloud Operations
If one thing’s for certain, it’s that the cloud is massive. VMware’s cloud, specifically, combines 100,000 virtual machi...
- Announcing vSAN Stretched Cluster support on VMware Cloud Foundation 3.0
VMware Cloud Foundation has been the solution of choice for Enterprise IT administrators looking for a turn-key software...
EXTERNAL NEWS FROM 3RD PARTY BLOGGERS
- ESXi on the new 2018 Apple Mac Mini
Thanks to the Green Mini Host (Apple Mac Mini hosting and collocation provider) who were the first to publicly confirm t...
- Direct playback & download URLs for all VMworld 2018 Europe Sessions
It has been less than 24 hours since VMworld Europe 2018 has concluded and the awesome VMworld team has already publishe...
- ESXi on a Raspberry Pi
During the closing of the VMworld Europe Keynote on Tuesday, Ray O'Farrell (CTO of VMware) had one more "tiny" surprise ...
- Update on running ESXi on Intel NUC Hades Canyon (NUC8i7HNK & NUC8i7HVK)
The Intel NUC is one of the most popular and affordable hardware platform for running vSphere and vSAN Home Labs. For cu...
- Retrieving Apple hardware details (Model, Serial, Board & EFI Boot ROM & SMC Version) from ESXi
For customers who run ESXi on Apple Hardware, retrieving the Apple hardware specific information such as the Board ID, E...
- VMworld Barcelona and Vembu Software Roadmap shows Oracle support and More
During VMworld Barcelona 2018 I went to see Vembu software at their stand. This vendor isn’t located far away from Reuni...
- Cohesity Data Platform Overview
During my VMworld Barcelona 2018 last week I was invited to a Cohesity briefing and was introduced to their product. I a...
- VMworld Barcelona Again Awesome Experience
This post is a bit of recap what has happened during VMworld Barcelona 2018 and my thoughts of next year. If you follow ...
- VMware Cloud Foundation 3.5 Announced during VMworld Barcelona
VMware has announced a new version of their hybrid cloud offering called VMware Cloud Foundation 3.5. It’s a simple path...
- VMware AppDefense Released as Part of the vSphere Platinum Licensing Package
VMware released a long-awaited AppDefense platform. It is part of vSphere 6.7 U1. It is a completely new product and lic...
- New vSAN 6.7U1 Advanced Options
Most readers will be aware that vSAN version 6.7U1 was recently released. For those of you who wish to know more about t...
- My VMworld 2018 recorded sessions
At this year’s VMworld, I was very fortunate to have 3 of my submitted sessions accepted for both VMworld in Las V...
- A closer look at EBS-backed vSAN
At VMworld 2018, we announced an initiative to use EBS, Amazon Elastic Block Store, for vSAN storage. At present vSAN is...
- Change policy on a vSAN object via RVC
I had someone reach out to me recently, asking for a way to change the policy on a file that was uploaded to a vSAN data...
- What’s new in vSAN 6.7U1
Yesterday, we saw the announcement that VMware has release vSphere 6.7U1. This includes new releases of vCenter Server 6...
- Technology Short Take 106
Welcome to Technology Short Take #106! It’s been quite a while (over a month) since the last Tech Short Take, as t...
- Spousetivities at DockerCon EU 18
DockerCon EU 18 is set to kick off in early December (December 3-5, to be precise!) in Barcelona, Spain. Thanks to Docke...
- More on Setting up etcd with Kubeadm
A while ago I wrote about using kubeadm to bootstrap an etcd cluster with TLS. In that post, I talked about one way to e...
- Validating RAML Files Using Docker
Back in July of this year I introduced Polyglot, a project whose only purpose is to provide a means for me to learn more...
- Technology Short Take 105
Welcome to Technology Short Take #105! Here’s another collection of articles and blog posts about some of the comm...
- History of VMware vQuiz results and winners
Over 200 people took the vQuiz to test their knowledge on how well they know the history of VMware through a series of 2...
- Take the vQuiz and test your vKnowledge on the history of VMware
I’m starting a new feature called the vQuiz which is designed to test your knowledge on virtualization and VMware....
- Upcoming Webinar: A Farewell to LUNs – Discover how VVols forever changes storage in vSphere
I’m hosting a webinar on Tuesday October 23rd at 8:00am PST with Pete Flecha from VMware to discuss the many bene...
- Upcoming webinar this week: Towards near-zero data loss. What you need to get right
Data loss is a key concern for every business, especially in today’s hostile world where malware and ransomware ru...
- The legendary turtles at VMware HQ
If you have ever been to VMware’s campus in Palo Alto you have probably seen or heard of the legendary turtles tha...
- VMworld TV 2018 Europe - The Power of Storage Policy-Based Management with Cormac Hogan & Duncan Epping
VMworld TV 2018 Europe - The Power of Storage Policy-Based Management with Cormac Hogan & Duncan Epping ...
- VMworld TV 2018 Europe - Brian Madden, Lead Field Technologist, VMware - Is VDI Dead?
VMworld 2018 Europe - Brian Madden, Lead Field Technologist, VMware - Is VDI Dead? ...
- VMworld TV - Thursday's Daily Wrap
- VMworld 2018 Europe - Day 2 Daily Wrap
VMworld 2018 Europe - Day 2 Daily Wrap ...
- VMworld 2018 Europe - Day 3 Daily Wrap
VMworld 2018 Europe - Day 3 Daily Wrap ...
- How To Secure Erase ESXi Disks (HPE or Generic Hardware)
Since a couple of versions, vSphere comes with an erase function in the GUI. This function deletes all partitions to reu...
- VMware ESXi 6.7 Installation on Intel NUC8i7HNK and NUC8i7HVK
When you try to install VMware ESXi 6.7 on the smaller version of the 8th Gen Hades Canyon Intel NUC (NUC8i7HNK), the in...
- 7th Gen NUC Remote Management with KVM using vPro AMT
Intel's latest 7th Gen Dawson Canyon NUCs are equipped with AMT vPro Technology. Intel AMT (Active Management Technology...
- ESXi on 7th Gen Intel NUC (Kaby Lake - Dawson Canyon)
Intel launched a commercial version of their 7th Gen NUCs. The new Dawson Canyon named NUCs are available with vPro tech...
- vCenter Service Appliance 6.7 Tips and Tricks
VMware is moving their vCenter Server from Windows to the Linux based Photon OS. The following tips and tricks might com...
- Configuring a QNAP repository for Veeam
Reading Time: 6 minutes Veeam Backup & Replication does not have a native integration with “entry-level”...
- Docker Enterprise Edition 2.1
Reading Time: 2 minutes On April was released Docker Enterprise Edition 2.0 and now it’s the turn of Docker Enter...
- What’s happened during VMworld EU 2018
Reading Time: 4 minutes VMworld EU 2018 it’s now over and it’s possible shared what’s happened during this ...
- VMware ESXi on Raspberry Pi
Reading Time: 5 minutes During the VMworld US 2018, one of the announces was the VMware ESXi for ARM porting, specific ...
- VMware vCenter and PSC topologies
Reading Time: 1 minute This is an article realized for StarWind blog and focused on the design and architecture of VMwa...
- Unable to connect to endpoint. Timeout occurred while processing the request
Test Connection Request while adding an endpoint fails with an exception Unable to connect to endpoint. Timeout occurred...
- CryptographicException - Keyset does not exist
Recently stumbled upon a problem where "Last Connected " status of IaaS nodes under VAMI was way off. Ideally ...
- Reconfigure action fails with exception " An item with the same key has already been added "
Last week was debugging a problem where user was trying to reconfigure a VM which was imported into vRAVersion of vRA wa...
- Docker Containers vs Virtual Machines
Note : Docker Containers are not Virtual MachinesWhat is a Virtual Machine ?Let's explain each layer from the bottom Eve...
- Upgrade vRealize Lifecycle Manager
At the end of this blog post, you should be able t Upgrade vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager to a newer versionLocate upg...
While I do my best to publish unbiased information specifically related to VMware solutions there is always the possibility of blog posts that are unrelated, competitive or potentially conflicting that may creep into the newsletter. I apologize for this in advance if I offend anyone and do my best to ensure this does not happen. Please get in touch if you feel any inappropriate material has been published. All information in this newsletter is copyright of the original author. If you are an author and wish to no longer be used in this newsletter please get in touch.
|© 2018 VMware Inc. All rights reserved.|