FROM THE EDITORS VIRTUAL DESK
Hi everyone, this week we bring you our featured article "The Next Virtualization Administrator”.
By Joe DePasquale
There is no doubt that IT changes at a rapid pace, not only from a technology perspective, but from an organizational perspective as well. About 10 years ago the OPEX and CAPEX benefits of virtualization propelled the industry in new directions, reducing the need for segregated physical servers while increasing the need for a new breed – the virtualization administrator. These pioneers came from all types of backgrounds, but most came from server administration – no doubt creating a few silos along the way.
As you are probably also aware this week we released vSphere 6.0 for download. Along with this we also released updates to many of our other solutions. Here is a list of many of the releases from the March 12 Release cycle.
VMware vSphere 6.0n (ESXi, vCenter) 6
VMware vRealize Operations for Horizon 6.x 6.1.0
VMware vRealize Automation 6.x 6.2.1
VMware vRealize Orchestrator 6.x 6.0.1
vRealize Business Advanced\Enterprise 8.x 8.2.1
vRealize Business Standard 6.x 6.1.0
vRealize Business Standard 6.x for vSphere 6.1
vRealize Code Stream 1.x 1.1.0
vRealize Infrastructure Navigator 5.x 5.8.4
vRealize Operations Manager 5.x 5.8.5
VMware vCloud Networking and Security 5.5.4
VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager 6.x 6
VMware Virtual SAN 6.x 6
VMware vSphere Data Protection 6.x 6
VMware vSphere Replication 6.x 6
VMware Integrated Open Stack 1
VMware View 6.x 6.1
VMware Horizon Client for Windows 3.x 3.3
VMware Workspace Portal 2.x 2.1.1
VMware App Volumes 2.x 2.6
VMware vSphere PowerCLI 6.x 6
vRealize Orchestrator Active Directory plugin 2.0.0
vRealize Orchestrator vRealize Automation plugin 6.2.1
Have a great week everyone.
LOCAL TRAINING CLASSES
VMware TAM WEBCASTS
Please join our TAM Customer Webcast Series, designed exclusively for TAM customers like you.
Meet Chris Wolf, Americas CTO, VMware
Chris Wolf serves as a partner and trusted adviser to VMware's customers in the Americas, and also collaborates with the IT and business community at large on cloud, mobile, virtualization and data center modernization strategies. Chris and his peers in the Office of the CTO work closely with VMware's product teams to ensure that VMware's future innovations align with essential market needs.
He also authored "Virtualization: From the Desktop to the Enterprise," the first book that was exclusively devoted to defining all aspects of x86 virtualization as we know it today.
NEWS AND DEVELOPMENTS FROM VMWARE
- How to install vCenter Server 6.0 with an external Platform Services Controller on a Windows machine (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6463)Our second video today discusses and demonstrates how to install vCenter Server 6.0 with an external Platform Services Controller on a Windows machine. For additional information, see VMware Knowledge Base article Installing VMware vCenter Server 6.0 with an external Platform Services Controller on a Windows machine (2108802).
- How to install vCenter Server 6.0 with an embedded Platform Services Controller on a Windows machine (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6460)For our first video today we discuss and demonstrate how to install vCenter Server 6.0 with an embedded Platform Services Controller on a Windows machine. For additional information, see VMware Knowledge Base article Installing VMware vCenter Server 6.0 with an embedded Platform Services Controller on a Windows machine (2108799) for more information.
- How to upgrade to vCenter Server 6.0 with an embedded Platform Services Controller (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6451)Here is our second video for today, covering the Installation & Upgrade of VMware’s new vSphere 6 release. This video discusses and demonstrates how to upgrade vCenter Server 5.5 to vCenter Server 6.0 with an embedded Platform Services Controller using the simple install method. For additional information, see VMware Knowledge Base article upgrading VMware vCenter […]
- Upgrading vCenter Server Single Sign-on 5.5 to a vCenter Server 6.0 Platform Services Controller (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6455)Over the next couple of days we will be publishing several new videos which will provide demonstrations and overviews regarding the Installation & Upgrade of VMware’s new vSphere 6 release. Our first video discusses and demonstrates how to upgrade vCenter Server Single Sign-on 5.5 to a vCenter Server 6.0 Platform Services Controller. See VMware Knowledge Base article […]
- ALERT: Important Information Before Upgrading to vSphere 6 (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6444)Before upgrading your environment to vSphere 6.0, VMware would like everyone to read the following KB article for important information regarding: Compatibility Considerations Database Considerations Backup and Restore Considerations Please proceed to read this article: Important Information Before Upgrading to vSphere 6.0 (2110293) Any updates to this information will be made in the KB article […]
- vSphere 6.0 Lockdown Modes (https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=16641) Lockdown mode has been around in various forms for many releases. The behaviors have changed a few times since 5.1 with varying levels of usability success. For vSphere 6.0 we are trying to address some of these issues. Personally, what I’d love to see happen with all customers running V6.0 is that you run […]
- Downloading a VMware Suite with the Push of a Button using VMware Software Manager (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=16582)If you’re looking for an easy and simple way to download all of the products and features of a VMware Suite, VMware Software Manager dramatically simplifies the download process. VMware Software Manager is a free product that: Provides an easy to use interface to find, select & download the content needed to install or upgrade […]
- VMware Announces General Availability of vSphere 6 (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=16528)Today, we are excited to announce the general availability of VMware vSphere 6 along with a slew of other Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC) products including VMware Integrated OpenStack, VMware Virtual SAN 6, VMware vSphere Virtual Volumes, VMware vCloud Suite 6, and VMware vSphere with Operations Management 6. vSphere 6 is the latest release of the […]
- Protecting vCenter Server with vSphere Data Protection (VDP) 6.0 (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=16548)I often get questions around backing up and restoring vCenter Server with vSphere Data Protection (VDP). VDP includes an “emergency restore” feature, which enables the restoration of a virtual machine even if vCenter Server is offline. This makes VDP a possible option for backing up a vCenter Server virtual machine and restoring it if it […]
- vCenter Server 6 Deployment Topologies and High Availability (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=16544)Architectural changes to vSphere 6: vCenter Server 6 has some fundamental architectural changes compared to vCenter Server Server 5.5. The multitude of components that existed in vCenter Server 5.x has been consolidated in vCenter Server 6 to have only two components vCenter Management Server and Platform Services Controller, formerly vCenter Server Single Sign-On. The Platform […]
- CoreOS Now Supported on VMware vSphere 6 and VMware vCloud Air (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=16526)By Mark Lohmeyer, vice president of product management and marketing, Cloud Platform, VMware Editor’s Note: This post, initially published on March 9, 2015, was updated on March 13, 2015 to reflect that CoreOS is now supported on vSphere 6. A key driver behind vSphere’s popularity and broad adoption in the enterprise has been VMware’s commitment […]
- Why Service Owners Are Integral to IT-as-a-Service Delivery (http://blogs.vmware.com/cloudops/?p=1453)By Kai Holthaus The Service Owner Role The service owner role is central for an IT organization that is operating IT as a service (ITaaS). Why? Because the service owner is accountable for delivering services to customers and users, and accountabilities include: To act as prime customer contact for all service-related enquiries and issues To […]
- Bloomberg West: Can You have 2 E-Mail Accounts While in Government? (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3724)VMware’s EVP and GM of End-User Computing Sanjay Poonen spoke with Bloomberg West this morning to offer insight on the issues that employees (including the former U.S. Secretary of State) face when they want to merge their personal mobile device with their work email. Watch the video below to learn more about how AirWatch solutions enable […]
- At the Intersection of Mobility and Digital Transformation (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3721)At the crossroads of mobility and the digital transformation is a seemingly missed opportunity for businesses, according to a VMware-sponsored survey conducted by research firm Constellation Research. In vertical industry segments, including education, healthcare, high tech and retail, respondents said the mobile experience is only beginning to be embraced and therefore the business benefits are […]
- Celebrating International Women’s Day (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3715)International Women’s Day took place this Sunday, March 8th and Amber Schmidt, VMware’s Global Lead of the VMwomen initiative, took to the VMware Careers blog to talk a little about VMwomen and how VMware is driving systemic change when it comes to women in technology. Read more about VMwomen, why the initiative is unique and how […]
- The Next Virtualization Administrator (http://blogs.vmware.com/tam/?p=2007)By Joe DePasquale There is no doubt that IT changes at a rapid pace, not only from a technology perspective, but from an organizational perspective as well. About 10 years ago the OPEX and CAPEX benefits of virtualization propelled the industry in new directions, reducing the need for segregated physical servers while increasing the need […]
- VCE and VMware: Accelerating the Software-Defined Data Center, Simplifying Customers’ Path to the Hybrid Cloud (http://blogs.vmware.com/rethinkit/?p=502)By Loretta Brown, vice president, Federation, VMware Today, VCE announced a major expansion to its converged infrastructure portfolio to help customers accelerate their software-defined data centers and simplify their journey to the hybrid cloud. VCE’s converged solutions continue to add additional value, as well as drive time-to-value and increase agility for customers. As a longtime […]
- In Case You Missed It… The Top Posts from Last Month (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=5387)In case you missed it, here's a round up of our top posts from February.
- Are You A VCDX? You Are Now Also a vExpert! (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=5348)I posted a tweet last week regarding some work Corey Romero and I were doing to try and align some things between the VMware Certified Design Expert (VCDX) community and the vExpert community. Another thing that has also come up in the past is that VCDX is a Certification while vExpert is in fact a […]
- EMEA VCI of the Quarter Awarded to Andy Fox (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=5341)EMEA VMware Certified Instructor (VCI) of the Quarter award is a regular prize given to those VCIs that aspire to be the best of the best. The awards are our version of the “Oscars,” identifying and rewarding excellence. The award recognises outstanding VCIs from the EMEA region who share their expertise about VMware technologies with others. The award is […]
- Live VCDX Workshop Schedule (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=5334)Last week we talked about the VCDX Workshop Online Webinar but there are several opportunities to attend the workshop in person over the next few months, many in conjunction with VMUG UserCon events. We’ve arranged to deliver the workshop at these upcoming events – join us! Location Date Facility Speaker Sign up Netherlands 3/18/15 conferentiecentrum 1931 […]
- Short Extension For VCP Recertification Deadline (and a Reward for Those Who Met the Original Deadline) (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=5346)Hi Everyone, One year ago we announced that the VMware Certified Professional (VCP) program would implement a new recertification policy requirement – requiring candidates to renew their certification every two years. At the time we gave all certification holders a one-year grace period, which ends on March 10, 2015. As we have talked to customers […]
- Introducing New VCE VxBlock Systems with Integrated VMware NSX (http://blogs.vmware.com/networkvirtualization/?p=1824)Last month, we outlined VMware’s vision for helping customers achieve one cloud for any application and any device. We believe the prevailing model for cloud adoption will be the hybrid cloud, and the best architecture for achieving the hybrid cloud is through a software-defined data center architecture. The fastest path to building reliable infrastructure for the hybrid […]
- Link VMware Horizon Deployments Together with Cloud Pod Architecture (http://blogs.vmware.com/consulting/?p=2105)By Dale Carter VMware has just made life easier for VMware Horizon administrators. With the release of VMware Horizon 6.1, VMware has added a popular feature—from the Horizon 6 release—to the web interface. Using Cloud Pod Architecture you can now link a number of Horizon deployments together to create a larger global pool – and […]
- What’s New? In a word “Everything”! (http://blogs.vmware.com/consulting/?p=2101)Lots of version releases this week. Great work to all teams involved! VMware vSphere 6.0n (ESXi, vCenter) 6 12-Mar-15 Download Documentation Release Notes VMware vRealize Operations for Horizon 6.x 6.1.0 12-Mar-15 Download Documentation Release Notes VMware vRealize Automation 6.x 6.2.1 12-Mar-15 Download Documentation Release Notes VMware vRealize Orchestrator 6.x 6.0.1 12-Mar-15 Download Documentation Release Notes […]
- Capacity Management in SDDC – Part 2 (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=6111)In our previous post, we shared that capacity management in the software defined data center (SDDC) needs to be split into two different aspects: VM level infrastructure level. In this post, I will cover capacity management at VM level. I shared earlier that this aspect should be managed by the application team (which is the customer […]
- How to Build Custom Dashboards – vRealize Operations Tech Tips #12 (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=6352)Custom Dashboards are a key capability of vRealize Operations Manager and enable you to display your data the way you need to visualize it. While these dashboards have been available in previous versions of the vRealize Operations, the new Custom Dashboard Workspace (aka Wizard) makes creating new dashboards a simple task. You need to create […]
- vCNS Content Pack for Log Insight Now Available! (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=6268)I am happy to announce that a new content pack covering VMware’s vCloud Networking and Security (vCNS) product is now available. This content pack provides analysis for both vShield Manager as well as vShield Edge, and makes troubleshooting, root cause analysis, auditing and security simple and easy. In this blog post, I will discuss what […]
- VMware’s vRealize Air Compliance Beta is open (http://blogs.vmware.com/management?p=6212&preview_id=6212)Find out you can drive security and compliance by automating the detection of non-compliant infrastructure against industry best practices and hardening guidelines – without manual effort or custom scripting. VMware® vRealize™Air™ Compliance enables organizations to continuously monitor their virtual infrastructure for critical compliance and security issues. Its real-time, event driven assessments of non-compliant configuration changes, […]
- Customizable Dashboards, Views and Reports – vRealize Operations Tech Tips #11 (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=6261)We are back with our Tech Tips series and in this blog post, we will go through another new big enhancement in vRealize Operations Manager 6 – easy to build Customizable Dashboards, Views and Reports. Customizable Dashboards built from powerful widgets are still a mainstay of vRealize Operations 6 and give you the ability to […]
- Capacity Management in SDDC – Part 1 (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=6119)Capacity management changes drastically with virtualization. In this series of posts, we will explain why it is one of the areas that is greatly impacted by virtualization. We will cover the following: Why capacity management is split into 2 distinct areas How you should perform capacity management at the VM level How you should perform […]
- Create a Pipeline in vRealize Code Stream (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=6245)In a typical release delivery process, after Dev checks in their enhancements or new features, often several additional groups need to test, stage, and accept the release prior to putting it into production. Not only does the process to deploy and test at each stage often take a long time, groups typically run into issues with coordination and […]
- Looking to Ease Cloud Migration? Go With What You Know. (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=5051)This is a guest post from iland, a member of the vCloud Air Network. Running out of data center space? Are short-term projects popping up more frequently? Just need more agility than physical hardware can provide? There’s a slew of reasons to move to the cloud, but, many times, teams can become overwhelmed by or stuck […]
- Another VMware Cloud in Action – Carisbrooke Shipping Sails Beyond Physical Limitations and into the Cloud (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=5036)Headquartered in the Isle of Wight, Carisbrooke Shipping is one of the largest shipping companies in UK operating a fleet of over 50 modern dry cargo and multi-purpose vessels. In the forty years since it was founded, the company has had to combat rising fuel costs and increasing competition in the shipping industry. In order […]
- vCloud Air OnDemand. No Credit Card? No Problem! (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=5039)Need instant access to a production ready public cloud that you can use to seamlessly extend your VMware vSphere® environment? With VMware vCloud® Air™ Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand, you can easily provision the resources you need, while only paying for what you use. Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand is offered as a pay-as-you-go service, designed to meet […]
- Sanjay Poonen discusses email security for government professionals on “Bloomberg West” (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=35092)Recent news has put a spotlight on email security on mobile devices. Today on Bloomberg West, Corey Johnson hosted Sanjay Poonen to learn more about email security for government officials. They discussed AirWatch government solutions that allow employees to use one phone for personal and work emails, device management and the BYOD trend. Watch the […]
- Award winning law firm provides convincing case for MDM (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=35065)In a field full of confidential information where security and trust are critical, the legal industry presents a convincing case for MDM security. Last month, Frost and Sullivan awarded Darin Adcock, CIO of Dowling Aaron Inc. the C!O Impact Mobility Award. The C!O Impact Mobility awards are given to CIOs with innovative mobility uses. Based […]
- Apple Watch presents opportunities for interoperability and IoT connectivity (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=34993)Yesterday at Apple’s Spring Forward event, CEO Tim Cook presented on the Apple Watch, a highly anticipated wearable arriving on the market April 24. The keynote touched on the ways in which enterprise use cases will be integrated into the wearable. The smartwatch touts advanced features like its ability to host enterprise apps. At the […]
- AirWatch Connect at Mobile World Congress – It’s a wrap! (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=7390)By Lanier Norville, AirWatch by VMware Last year at Mobile World Congress, we saw enterprise mobility emerge as a central theme, and it’s clear the enterprise space is only picking up steam. Many of this year’s biggest headline-makers, from device launches to educational sessions, demonstrated that enterprise demand is now driving the mobile market. As Forrester […]
- VMware Horizon 6 with GRID vGPU Powers Scalable High-Performance Desktops (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=7353)By Will Wade, director, NVIDIA GRID, NVIDIA Support for NVIDIA GRID™ vGPU™ technology is among the many new features of the recently announced VMware Horizon 6. VMware Horizon 6 is the latest release of VMware’s well-known VDI platform that delivers virtualized and remote desktops and applications through a single platform. Using GRID vGPU technology on […]
- Introducing A New Release of VMware Horizon 6! (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=7360)By Shankar Iyer, VP of Product Management, Desktop Solutions, End-User Computing, VMware I am excited to announce today the newest release of VMware Horizon 6 featuring advanced capabilities for application publishing, 3D application support through high-performance virtual desktops, enhanced Chromebook support, software-defined data center optimizations including network virtualization benefits from VMware NSX, and new features […]
- Securing Virtual Desktops Against East-West Threats in the Data Center (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=7363)By Tony Paikeday, senior product line manager, End-User Computing, VMware This blog is first in a series where we’ll explore the considerations for building a more holistic approach to securing desktops in the data center. If you’re in an industry that’s got a mandate around regulatory compliancy and risk mitigation, then the ongoing headlines around […]
- Join VMware at GPU Technology Conference 2015: Delivering High Performance Workstations from the Cloud (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=7337)By Tony Paikeday, Product Marketing, End-User Computing, VMware Next week is GTC 15 – where end users and the graphics technology ecosystem converge to learn how to tap into the growing power of the GPU. Each year promises major steps forward in ground-breaking innovation, and this year is no different! GTC15 will feature front and […]
- Reminder to Join Us Next Week at the HP Global Partner Conference (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1657)We will be in Vegas, March 16-18th for HP’s Global Partner Conference. Don’t miss this golden opportunity to get key sales plays and marketing materials on joint VMware and HP solutions such as the the HP ConvergedSystem HC-200 for EVO:RAIL. Start building your schedule now.
- One Cloud, Any Application – Download the New VMware Corporate Story (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1655)At Partner Exchange we presented our new corporate story – “One Cloud, Any Application, Any Device.” The Story describes how VMware is uniquely capable of enabling a brave new model of IT that is fluid, instant, and secure through our “one cloud, any application, any device” architecture. The overview, along with this infographic, will help […]
- VMware vSphere Data Protection Advanced has reached End of Availability (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1653)On March 1, 2015, the standalone vDPA SKUs became End of Availability and the vDPA capabilities were consolidated into vSphere.
- Subscription Purchasing Program (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1651)The Subscription Purchasing Program (SPP) is a new, simpler and flexible channel transaction model for VMware vCloud Air Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand and VMware Horizon Air, and an alternative to credit card billing for customers. SPP provides partners a way to seed accounts with OnDemand and preserve the billing relationship with customers.
- Solution Provider Program – VCP Expansion (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1649)Effective March 1, 2015, partners can fulfill VMware Solution Provider Program requirements with all versions of the VMware Certified Professional (VCP) accreditation. Until now, only VCP-DCV (Data Center Virtualization) counted towards the program tier requirements.
- vSphere Virtual Volumes for Horizon 6 & NetApp All-Flash FAS (http://blogs.vmware.com/tap/?p=1016)Earlier this week, we announced a new release of Horizon 6 here highlighting several new key features, one of which is support of Virtual Volumes. As mentioned in the announcement, NetApp is the first partner to successfully validate VVOls with Horizon 6. Let’s elaborate more on this integration via this guest post from Abhinav Joshi – Sr. Product Manager […]
- Simplify Cloud Sales with the VMware Subscription Purchasing Program (http://blogs.vmware.com/partner/?p=2404)You have three options when it comes to purchasing that much needed Starbucks coffee – buying it with cash, swiping your credit card, or purchasing with your Starbucks prepaid card… which do you choose? Using your Starbucks prepaid card provides these benefits: Helps you budget accordingly for your future coffee purchases […]
MORE NEWS AND DEVELOPMENTS FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A Big Day in Converged Infrastructure! (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2015/03/a-big-day-in-converged-infrastructure.html)Today, VCE made several big announcements: Major updates to VCE VBlocks Expansion of the CI portfolio to include VCE VxBlocks – a broader spectrum of technology choices, starting with VMware NSX, but will be applied more generally. VCE Technology Extensions...
- Is the dress white and gold – or blue and black? SDS + Server, or Appliance? (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2015/03/is-the-dress-white-and-gold-or-blue-and-black-sds-server-or-appliance.html)Chad – what the hell are you talking about with that title? Last week I was with an partner in Japan, and had a lengthy discussion over SDS data plane stacks – and what we were doing, and thoughts on...
- Happy XX day! (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2015/03/happy-xx-day.html)Those that know me know that I’m a proud father of two girls. They are the light of my life, the apple of my eye. They are smart, funny, insightful, and beautiful. I want them to be afforded every opportunity...
- EVO:RAIL – Under The Covers – Networking (Part1) (http://www.mikelaverick.com/?p=6003)This is a topic I’ve written about previously in a blogpost called “Getting the RTFM In place”. Typically enterprise products are generally easy to setup so long as you have got your pre-requisites in place – fail to do that and your mileage will vary significantly. You’d be surprised (or perhaps not!) how frequently things […]
- VSAN 6.0 Part 1 – New quorum mechanism (http://cormachogan.com/?p=4703)vSphere 6.0 released yesterday. It included the new version of Virtual SAN – 6.0. I now wish to start sharing some of the new features and functionality with you. One of things we always enforced with version 5.5 was the Continue reading →
- Virtual Volumes – A new way of doing snapshots (http://cormachogan.com/?p=4669)I learnt something interesting about Virtual Volumes (VVols) last week. It relates to the way in which snapshots have been implemented in VVols. Historically, VM snapshots have left a lot to be desired. So much so, that GSS best practices Continue reading →
- Horizon Mirage joins the PowerCLI club (http://www.virtu-al.net/?p=3330)VMware Horizon Mirage is a product in VMware’s EUC range of products that manage images across physical desktops and point of service devices. It uses something called layers to simplify OS and application rollouts.... Horizon Mirage joins the PowerCLI club is a post from: Virtu-Al . Virtu-Al is one of the authors of VMware vSphere PowerCLI Reference: Automating vSphere Administration" Buy it now from: Amazon USA Amazon UK Sybex
- When To Use Multiple Subnet iSCSI Network Design (http://wahlnetwork.com/?p=12586)Did you know that some iSCSI design scenarios can benefit from multiple subnets? Read further to find out how this affects your iSCSI architecture. The post When To Use Multiple Subnet iSCSI Network Design appeared first on Wahl Network . Related posts: Exercise Caution Using Dynamic Discovery for Multi-Homed iSCSI Targets Avoid LACP with iSCSI Port Binding or Multi-NIC vMotion Storage Network Design on the Packet Pushers Podcast Breaking Silos: An Open Chat on Networking and Virtualization Building…
- Get your download engines running, vSphere 6.0 is here! (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=16017)Advertise here with BSA Yes the day is finally there, vSphere 6.0 / SRM / VSAN (and more) finally available. So where do you find it? Well that is simple… here: ESXi 6.0 vCenter Server 6.0 vSphere Data Protection 6.0 vSphere Replication 6.0 vRealize Orchestrator Appliance 6.0.1 VMware vCenter Operations Manager Foundation 5.8.5 vCenter Site Recovery Manager 6.0 VMware […] " Get your download engines running, vSphere 6.0 is here! " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on…
- All Flash VSAN – One versus multiple disk groups (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=16010)Advertise here with BSA A while ago I wrote this article on the topic of “one versus multiple disk groups“. The summary was that you can start with a single disk group, but that from a failure domain perspective having multiple disk groups is definitely preferred. Also from a performance stance there could be a benefit. So the question now […] " All Flash VSAN – One versus multiple disk groups " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my…
- Virtual Volumes primer (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15989)Advertise here with BSA I was digging through my blog for a link to a virtual volumes primer article and I realized I never wrote one. I did an article which described what Virtual Volumes (VVol) is in 2012 but that is it. I am certain that Virtual Volumes is a feature that will be heavily used with vSphere 6.0 and […] " Virtual Volumes primer " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via Pearson today!
- Deploying a Node.js WebApp with MongoDB to Cloud Foundry (http://kendrickcoleman.com/index.php/Tech-Blog/deploying-a-node-js-webapp-with-mongodb-to-cloud-foundry.html)I recently created a new project to help me get a better understanding of Node.js webapps using Express.js and using MongoDB on the backend. It took me a little over 2 hours to get this app properly deployed to CF and run in development at the same time. Documentation is sparse, so I'll spare you the details and just show you how it's done. package.json: The only thing you need here is that if you are using express.js then the "npm start" needs to be setup correctly. If you…
- vSphere release cycle bounces back to the old VI3 days (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=5543)Back in 2013 I did a post comparing number of days between major vSphere releases that highlighted VMware’s fast pace of delivering new vSphere versions. That fast pace has now slowed down considerably with vSphere 6.0 as VMware wasn’t able to keep up with the zippy one year cycle they had fallen into. Now with the … Continue reading » [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
- Only 4 vendors support VVOLs on Day 1 of vSphere 6 GA (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=5530)VMware has added a new category to their Hardware Compatibility Guide specifically to show vendor support for Virtual Volumes (VVOLs) called vSphere APIs for Virtual Volumes (VVols). On Day 1 of the vSphere 6 launch just 4 partners showed up as supporting VVOLs on their storage arrays, those partners & supported models are shown below: … Continue reading » [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
- Maximum Virtual CPU support cut in half in vSphere 6.0 (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=5520)I was reviewing the Configuration Maximums document for vSphere 6.0 which was released today and comparing it to vSphere 5.5 to see what has changed and noticed that the maximum Virtual CPU support (vCPU) was reduced by half from 4,096 in vSphere 5.5 to 2,048 in vSphere 6.0. Not sure if this is a typo … Continue reading » [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
- vSphere 6.0 is now available! (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=5512)You can download it here. Also check out the documentation here, the first doc that I always go to is the Configuration Maximums to see how things have grown. And be sure to read through my Summary of What’s New in vSphere 6.0 post and check out my huge vSphere 6.0 Link-O-Rama. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
- New white paper and webinar on management of hyper-converged environments (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=5508)I recently wrote a white paper for SolarWinds on the impact of management in hyper-converged environments and will also be presenting a webinar along with fellow vExpert Kong Yang from SolarWinds on that topic next week. If you’re interested give it a read and I look forward to seeing you next week. Webinar: Hyper-convergence: Is it … Continue reading » [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
- History of the Top vBlog Part II (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=5498)This years top blog voting is already in progress and while we wait to see the results I thought I’d refresh a post I did that provides a retrospect on how the top blog voting started and also comparing the voting results over the years. 2008 – The beginning Many years ago I used to do … Continue reading » [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
- Voting now open for the 2015 top VMware & virtualization blogs (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=5489)The number of blogs devoted to VMware and virtualization continues to grow, this year there are more than 400 of them on the ballot. Here’s your chance to show your appreciation to the bloggers for all their hard work by picking your favorites which will determine the top blogs for 2015. Last year over 1,400 people … Continue reading » [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
- Rock the vote! Top vBlog voting now open! (http://blog.mwpreston.net/?p=4350)It’s that special time of year again – a time for the virtualization community to come together and vote for their favorite virtualization blogs. Yes – the Top vBlog Voting for 2015 is underway over at vSphere-land.com. As much as this is just simply a ranking of blogs I’m not going to lie – it
- vRealize Automation 6.2.1 released (http://vcdx56.com/?p=5312)A new version of the vRealize Automation (vRA) formerly known as vCloud Automation Center (vCAC) software was released yesterday, actually the same day as when vSphere 6.0 was released. Based on that and the fact that is just a minor release i can unedrstand it didn’t got that much attention. However, there are one really … Continue reading »
- Two years as a blogger (http://vcdx56.com/?p=5305)Today, March 13 2015, i have been a blogger for two years. During my first year as a blogger i posted 113 blog posts and the last year i followed up with 116 blog posts meaning a total of 229 blog posts. As i mention in my one year as a blogger summary, which you … Continue reading »
- vRealize Automation monitoring (http://vcdx56.com/?p=5233)Since i started to work as a consultant back in 2007 monitoring has been part of pretty much all design, implementations and heath checks i have done. Every now and then i receive questions about how to implement monitoring for certain software and this week i received a question about monitoring the vRealize Automation (vRA) formerly … Continue reading »
- Top vBlog 2015 voting is now open (http://vcdx56.com/?p=5279)As usual, Eric Siebert, has made an awesome job putting together the annual top vBlog voting for the best virtualization blogs and i just wanted to let you know that the 2015 voting is now open unless you haven’t seen that already. There are more than 400 blog to select from so you got plenty of … Continue reading »
- VMware vSphere Update Manager service fails (http://vcdx56.com/?p=4930)So a few days back i had some problem with the VMware Windows based vSphere Update Manager (VUM) Server that didn’t start after rebooting the virtual machine (VM) where the service runs. All other VMware related services running on the VM started without any problem. vCenter Server (and VUM) version running was 5.5.U1b was running … Continue reading »
- vSphere 6.0 Install Pt. 4: vCenter Upgrade Best Practices (http://www.derekseaman.com/?p=2505)Advertise here with BSA Upgrades can be scary times with any enterprise product. The more your critical infrastructure relies on a particular solution, or set of solutions, the more imperative it is you fully understand and test the new product. Prior vSphere releases has taught us that thorough testing cannot be skipped and you should not rush a new product into production. No product […] The post vSphere 6.0 Install Pt. 4: vCenter Upgrade Best Practices appeared first on Derek Seaman's Blog . …
- Ready, set, go! Download vSphere 6.0 NOW (http://www.derekseaman.com/?p=2627)Advertise here with BSA After some teasing at VMworld 2014, and a few more sessions at PEX 2015, vSphere 6.0 is finally available for download! If you are in a big hurry to download, here are some useful links. vSphere 6.0 release notes can be found here. As always, TEST TEST TEST before putting this into production. Also remember […] The post Ready, set, go! Download vSphere 6.0 NOW appeared first on Derek Seaman's Blog . Related Stories vSphere 6.0 Install Pt. 4:…
- Top Blogger Voting in Full Swing! (http://www.derekseaman.com/?p=2621)Advertise here with BSA Each year Eric Siebert over at vSphere-land.com spends an enormous amount of time setting up the top blogger voting. This recognizes the very hard work that the top bloggers do, and the support they give to the community. Recognition is always fun, but shouldn’t be the primary purpose to blog. So this year you, again, […] The post Top Blogger Voting in Full Swing! appeared first on Derek Seaman's Blog .
- Application Virtualization Smackdown – Matrix Style Infographic (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=10663)Application Virtualization is changing rapidly and there are a lot of different options on the market. The idea is you can package up the applications separate to the underlying OS and then run the anywhere, and so they aren’t going to be impacted as much by OS upgrades and patches. This is the sort of […]
- VMware vRealize Operations Manager 6.0.1 & Dell Storage Speed Run (http://www.boche.net/blog/?p=5060)For the most part – 12:38 was my time. There are a few spots where I could improve but what you see here is what you get – a quick video I threw together outlining a simple VMware vRealize Operations Manager 6.0.1 appliance deployment, including: vCenter adapter configuration Active Directory role integration Dell Storage Solutions […] Post from: boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist Copyright (c) 2010 Jason Boche. The contents of this post may not be reproduced or republished on another web…
- #72 VMware vSphere 6 Launch with Duncan Epping (http://datacenterdude.com/?p=2471)Duncan Epping of VMware joins us for a deep-dive on the hot new features of VMware's latest offering, vSphere 6. We discuss HA/DRS, VASA & Policies, Long-Distance vMotion, and beer from South Africa!
- NetApp cDOT, RDB, & Epsilon (http://datacenterdude.com/?p=2439)NetApp clustered Data ONTAP is designed to provide a solution that eliminates downtime and offers feature-rich scale-out, cloud-ready storage. This is done by taking a series of HA pairs and connecting them via a cluster network backend to provide a single namespace, single point of management and "pay as you grow" functionality.
- NetApp All-Flash FAS and VMware Horizon View 6 with VVOLs (http://datacenterdude.com/?p=2460)NetApp has emerged as the first partner to successfully validate their All-Flash FAS unified storage array with VMware Horizon View 6 and VMware vSphere Virtual Volumes
- #71 NetApp MetroCluster for Clustered Data ONTAP (http://datacenterdude.com/?p=2447)http://media.blubrry.com/netapp/content.blubrry.com/netapp/71-MCC.mp3 We bring in the one and only Charlotte Brooks to give us a deep-dive on NetApp MetroCluster on Clustered Data ONTAP.
- #vBrownBag DevOps Follow-Up Continuous Integration for Networking with Matt Oswalt (@Mierdin) (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=5342)Matt Oswalt explains how Continuous Integration can be used beyond traditional development purposes, to support changes in configurations for network equipment leveraging tools like Ansible. Continuous Integration for Networking Video You can find Matt on Twitter @Mierdin and his blog http://keepingitclassless.net. Examples and presentation materials from this episode can be found on GitHub at https://github.com/Mierdin/ci-networks […]
- It’s time for the annual vBlog voting – Only 2 days left (http://www.viktorious.nl/?p=5198)The post It’s time for the annual vBlog voting – Only 2 days left appeared first on viktorious.nl - Virtualization & Cloud Management . It's time for the 2015 Top vBlog Voting. Take a minute or 2 to let Eric Siebert know what your favorite blog is! Last year over 1400 people voted on the 320 different blogs, all devoted to VMware & virtualization. For an overview of all the blogs, take a look at the vLaunchpad .All blogs that are included in the vLaunchpad are participating in the voting.…
- Project VRC ‘State of the VDI and SBC union 2015′ – Sneak preview (http://www.viktorious.nl/?p=5235)The post Project VRC ‘State of the VDI and SBC union 2015′ – Sneak preview appeared first on viktorious.nl - Virtualization & Cloud Management . A couple of weeks ago I've asked you to participate in the Project VRC "State of the VDI and SBC union 2015" survey. This survey ran until February 15th, the full report including all the results will be published in a couple of weeks. I hoped you participated in this survey. Let's take a look at what Project VRC and the State of the…
- Internet facing vRA: Some considerations (http://www.viktorious.nl/?p=4672)The post Internet facing vRA: Some considerations appeared first on viktorious.nl - Virtualization & Cloud Management . This article discusses important considerations if you want to connect vRealize Automation (vRA) directly to the internet. The article doesn't discuss if you should do or want to do this, this all depends on your specific requirements. Let's first take a look at the different components vRA consists of: Identity appliance - Responsible for authentication/authorization…
- Are you ready for the NLVMUG Usercon 2015? (http://www.viktorious.nl/?p=5192)The post Are you ready for the NLVMUG Usercon 2015? appeared first on viktorious.nl - Virtualization & Cloud Management . It's almost time for the 2015 edition of the NLVMUG Usercon. The NLVMUG Usercon is successor of the very successful Dutch VMUG Event, the annual meeting of the Netherlands VMware Usergroup. Mark your agenda and head to 's-Hertogenbosch (or call it Den Bosch if it's easier for you) on March 19th for some good keynotes, breakout sessions and an NSX bootcamp. Mister Joe…
- VMware Horizon news: Desktop transformation solution for every type of user (http://vinfrastructure.it/?p=15528)End User Computing (EUC) scenario has change in the last year… not one single killer application for all cases, but multiple Technologies for different user cases or customers needs. Does not make sense say that this could be the year of VDI… VDI is growing but will never been a killer application… just one solution with its market segment. But there are also Apps and RemoteApps, DaaS, FLEX, Mobile, Managed desktop/laptop, and lot of other solutions! VMware still consider the EUC a main pillar, but…
- VMware vCloud Suite 6.0 is now available (http://vinfrastructure.it/?p=15755)Finally, after the official announce of one month ago (and after 2,5 year after the VMware vCloud Suite 5.5 GA), the new vCloud Suite 6.0 (but also the single products like vSphere 6.0) it’s in GA and available on the download site (so the rumors about the 12th March as possible release date were true). Also the offical documention site has been update to the new products: VMware vCloud Suite 6.0 – Download – Documentation VMware vSphere 6.0 – Download – Documentation VMware vSphere Hypervisor…
- X-IO launches all flash array storage solution (http://vinfrastructure.it/?p=15726)Seems the all flash (or full flash) storage momentum: most of the storage vendor are announcing a full flash solution, in the past months. For sure means more attention (and probably more demand) of this kind of storage, considering that some years ago there were only few solutions available. X-IO is a storage vendor with a really long term (over two decades with different names) of expertise to deliver unmatched price/performance for enterprise applications. I’ve already wrote about their history, their…
- Scale Computing make virtualization simple (and different) (http://vinfrastructure.it/?p=15505)Scale Computing has an interesting storage hyperconverged solution: its HC3® platform can be used for small- and medium-sized businesses but also in some enterprise departments with a simple (and different) approach to virtualization and storage. As data requirements at organizations of every size continue to require more storage assets and additional compute power, virtualization becomes a more-attractive option. For IT staffs at smaller organizations, the introduction of a virtualization layer can add…
- More thoughts about the cross vCenter vMotion (http://vinfrastructure.it/?p=15688)As written in a previous post, the new VMware vSphere 6.0 introduce several enhancements in the vMotion by adding more VM mobility. If the long distance vMotion seems the big news, in my opinion the best and most amazing news is the cross vCenter vMotion (that could also be a long distance vMotion, but not necessary). Moving a VM across vCenters seems a big challenge and bring new level of freedom in the VM… like the vMotion 1.0 it can liberate a VM from its boundaries: in vMotion 1.0 the boundary was the…