Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=84638d120599c4461b514e1a0&id=28287de149&e=[UNIQID]
FROM THE EDITORS VIRTUAL DESK
Hi everyone, well it’s the final newsletter of 2014. I can’t believe how quickly the year has gone. It seems like just yesterday I was packing my bags and heading for San Francisco to start my new life. It has been an amazing year for me personally. I am so proud to be part of an organization such as VMware that is dedicated to creating the best software products it possibly can.
I wanted to share with you something even more important that VMware has done for the past 2 years now. As an employee of VMware we are all given access to a fairly generous amount of time that we are able to use for the benefit of charitable work. This is something that many organizations do and I think it is fantastic as it really allows us to give back to our communities and in the process we learn so much doing this. VMware however goes one step further and gives each of us a donation on Global Giving (www.globalgiving.org) that we are free to use as we see fit on any of the worthwhile charities that are available. This is a very simple gesture but for me it is so important as it reminds me every year as I go through the list of charities how fortunate we are to have what we do, and how rewarding giving rather than receiving can be.
I hope that you have enjoyed another year of VMware newsletters. I have certainly enjoyed doing them and going into our 7th year is going to be even better.
I wish all of you and your friends and family a safe, healthy and happy holidays and I look forward to speaking to all of you again in 2015.
Staff Technical Account Manager
VMware San Francisco
nisserow @ vmware . com
NEWS AND DEVELOPMENTS FROM VMWARE
- Upgrading from Workstation 10 to 11 (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6367)This video tutorial demonstrates how to upgrade from Workstation 10 to Workstation 11. Before upgrading to VMware Workstation 11, ensure that your physical machine meets the system requirements. For more information, see Introduction and System Requirements in the Getting Started with VMware Workstation 11.x guide. You will also need to shutdown any virtual machines that you […]
- Making IT Go Faster – Forrester Research Sheds Light on How (http://blogs.vmware.com/cloudops/?p=1319)By Kurt Milne Today’s IT managers face increasing pressure to be more responsive and move faster. However, most IT organizations have built their IT organization to promote control and safety. People, process, and tools have traditionally been deployed to strictly limit change in order to optimize service quality and efficiency. In fact many of the […]
- VMware Weekly News Recap, Dec. 19, 2014 (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3485)VMware News This week in VMware news, VMware announced that Apollo Education Group, one of the world’s largest private education providers, has implemented a private cloud based on VMware vCloud Suite and VCE Vblock Systems to power online courses at its open access institutions of higher education. Read the press release to learn more. One […]
- Realizing a Simpler Path to OpenStack (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3481)The impact that the application development community is having on current approaches to IT is astounding, and one thing is apparent – developers don’t want to deal with the data center infrastructure directly. OpenStack has emerged as a framework that provides application development teams with API-based, programmatic access to the infrastructure. But organizations have found […]
- An Award-Winning Holiday Gift for the Technophile in your Life (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3472)Are you looking for the perfect holiday gift for the techie in your life? Well look no further. The VMware Fusion team recently received an Editors’ Choice award from PCMag.com for VMware Fusion 7! What better way to celebrate the holidays than to give the gift of Windows on Mac? VMware Fusion has always had a loyal […]
- SaaS, PaaS and IaaS: The Basics (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3466)A recently released Gartner survey revealed that “software as a service (SaaS) deployments are now ‘mission critical,’ meaning that the most commonly cited reasons the survey found for deploying SaaS were for development and testing production/mission-critical workloads.” The survey was conducted “across 10 countries in four regions to examine organizations’ adoption and deployment of cloud […]
- Get a Sneak Peek at On Demand Training (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=5096)Have you considered On Demand Courses but aren’t sure if they’re right for you? Now there’s an easy way to see what it’s all about. Our Sneak Peeks, available for many of our courses, let you try a course for free before you register. You’ll get access to full course modules and overview the hands-on labs […]
- New Courses from VMware (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=5089)VMware Education Services has released several new courses to help you get the most out of your VMware solutions. On Demand VMware NSX Install, Configure, Manage [V6.0] VMware Horizon (with View): Install, Configure, Manage [V6.0] VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V5.5] Classroom VMware Mirage [V5.0] and Horizon with View [V6.0]: Fast Track VMware vRealize Operations Manager: […]
- VMware Virtual SAN and ScaleIO : Fundamentally Two different approaches to Software-Defined Storage (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=15912)There’ s a lot of buzz and excitement around Software-Defined Storage (SDS) and hyper-converged storage solutions. Particularly around VMware’s recently introduced product: VMware Virtual SAN. VMware Virtual SAN is seeing tremendous traction in the market since its release. After only two full quarters of availability, we already have many hundreds of customers happily running a variety of […]
- Gartner Predictions: Storage Integration Leading the Way in 2015 (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=15950)Rowing crews move in sync to keep their craft moving at a steady pace – but that synchronous movement would not exist without an investment in the right hardware and the right training. For businesses, that means not only investing in the right rowers, but also in the right tools to enable athletes. And for […]
- VMware’s vSphere Big Data Extensions (BDE) achieves Hortonworks Operations Ready Certification (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=15923) Hortonworks announced on the 17th December 2014 that VMware’s Big Data Extensions tool for Hadoop on virtual machines is now both HDP Certified and Operations Ready. HDP is the Hortonworks Data Platform – an open Hadoop platform that is centered on YARN. The Operations Ready designation is a new certification introduced by Hortonworks to […]
- vSphere Data Protection (VDP) – Removing an External Proxy (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=15877)It is not particularly clear how to remove a vSphere Data Protection (VDP) external proxy in the vSphere Data Protection (VDP) 5.8 Administration Guide. Before I get into that specifically, I should probably start with what a VDP external proxy is and how it is deployed. The external proxy functionality is currently only available with […]
- Operationalizing VMware Virtual SAN: Automating vCenter Alarm Configuration Using PowerCLI (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=15599)Welcome to the next installment in our Operationalizing VMware Virtual SAN series. In our previous article we detailed “How to configure vCenter alarms for Virtual SAN”. In today’s article we will demonstrate how to automate that configuration workflow leveraging PowerCLI. (Many thanks to VMware genius Alan Renouf (@alanrenouf) for his contributions to this topic) [Joe […]
- VMware Storage Survey (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=15915)The VMware Storage and Availability team is looking for customer and community feedback with regarding some storage technologies and use cases. Please take a few minutes to fill out the brief survey listed in the link below. Storage Technology & Use case Thank you for your help and support. For future updates on Virtual SAN […]
- 5 Things to Look for in a Cloud Partner Program (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4673)This is a repost from Talkin’ Cloud. You can find the original post here. By: Melissa Ross According to Gartner, the use of cloud computing is growing. By 2016 this growth will increase to become the bulk of new IT spend, and by the end of 2017 nearly half of large enterprises will have hybrid […]
- vCloud Air Command Line Interface (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4667)By: Paco Gomez, vCloud Air Senior Solutions Architect This is a repost from Paco’s personal blog. As a cloud provider, VMware vCloud Air has a rich set of functionality available to users through the Portal and the API. With the release of the vCloud Air Command Line Interface (vca-cli), users now have another method to access the service and leverage the benefits of scripting […]
- Automating Your vCloud Air Disaster Recovery Environment with RaaSCLI (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4641)By: Massimo Re Ferrè VMware vCloud® Air™ Disaster Recovery has been a very popular offering since it became available. Disaster recovery to the cloud is a killer use case because it’s ideal for: Customers that want to start using the cloud but want to start with low risk and low impact to production workloads. Customers that […]
- Save the Day with VMware vCloud Air Disaster Recovery (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4633)Superheroes come in all shapes and sizes and reveal themselves in the most trying of times. For businesses, those trying times often involve blackouts, power surges, natural disasters and other conditions that can cause severe data loss. But the power of one person can help save any organization from the ultimate disaster. That person: the […]
- VMware vCloud Air Supported Operating Systems (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4616)By David Hill This is a repost from David Hill’s blog, davidhill.co. Andy Steven who is a colleague of mine working in the EMEA vCloud Air team asked me what Operating Systems are supported in VMware vCloud® Air™? This isn’t the first time I have been asked this question, so I thought I would quickly publish the list, […]
- 10 Advantages of vCloud Air Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4612)Last month, we announced the launch of the VMware vCloud® AirTM Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand Early Access Program – a program that will enable customers to provision VMware vCloud Air technology in minutes, with no up front resource or cost commitments. In fact, if you sign up for early access, you can receive up to […]
- Announcing vRealize Operations Management pack for NSX vSphere and NSX Multi Hypervisor (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5721)The SDDC (Software Defined Data Center) value proposition is ubiquitously acknowledged and now it’s just a question of when organizations will adopt the SDDC model and not if organizations will adopt it. People have realized the benefits of having the flexibility and agility provided by SDDC. SDDC has just crossed the chasm and we are […]
- Open and Extensible: Community Content on VMware Solution Exchange (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5680)VMware’s vRealize products have been designed with flexible, extensible architectures that allow them to be easily adapted and extended to meet the unique needs of our customers. This includes support for new multi-vendor virtual, physical and public cloud infrastructures and management tools. In addition it also includes the ability to customize our automated process to […]
- vRealize Operations Tech Tips #8 – Understanding Allocation vs Demand Based Capacity Modeling (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5717)Understanding capacity and having the ability to quickly assess capacity and capacity risk in any environment is critical in today’s software defined data center. vRealize Operations Manager helps you apply demand & allocation capacity planning principles while managing the capacity of your virtual and cloud environments across any object type. The great thing is vRealize […]
- vRealize Operations Tech Tips #7 – Filtering the vRealize Operations Manager UI based on Adapter (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5415)Today’s #TechTip is the answer to the question: “Why is it in certain areas of the vRealize Operations Manager UI do I only see a small subset of the data and relationships, that I know are there?” I recently had this question come up, so here is a short video on how to get what […]
- The NSX Content Pack for Log Insight is Now Available (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5632)I am pleased to announce that we have just released the VMware NSX for vSphere Log Insight Content Pack in the VMware Solution Exchange . The content pack optimizes implementation, management and troubleshooting of VMware NSX in vSphere environments. This content pack is available for download by any customer who has installed Log Insight, and VMware NSX […]
- App Volumes AppStacks vs. Writable Volumes (http://blogs.vmware.com/consulting/?p=1875)By Dale Carter, Senior Solutions Architect, End-User Computing With the release of VMware App Volumes I wanted to take the time to explain the difference between AppStacks and Writable Volumes, and how the two need to be designed as you start to deploy App Volumes. The graphic below shows the traditional way to manage your […]
- Enterprise mobility news recap Dec 15 – 19 (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=33706)‘Tis the season for tech-optimized packaging and shipping, new devices and apps and MDM predictions for 2015. This holiday season, Amazon hired its own fleet of elves named Kiva robots. In an effort to meet online ordering demand, Amazon purchased 15,0000 programmed robots to help optimize parcel shipping. For most U.S. states, the shipping deadline […]
- The top technologies security managers plan to use in 2015 (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=33685)A recent report highlights the continued importance of mobile device management (MDM) for enterprise security managers they prepare for the year ahead. According to 451 Research’s “Reference Technology Roadmap – Information Security Wave 17,” MDM and network firewalls will be responsible for the most significant spending increases in 2015, with 31 percent of security managers […]
- Why EMM Is the Future of Mac Management (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=33661)In the keynote session at WWDC 2014, Apple’s Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi called iOS “a huge hit in the enterprise,” noting the breadth of iOS-tailored enterprise apps, as well as enterprise manageability features Apple has added to the operating system over the years. Federighi also noted the new productivity features that […]
- Video: F5 Networks provides access policy management from the AirWatch console (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=33652)F5 is well known for its load balancing solution, but you may not know about its VPN client, which administrators can provision from the AirWatch console. Using the F5 Access Policy Manager (APM), administrators can connect any user in their environment to applications through a secure tunnel. Administrators can provision profiles that specify how users […]
- Enhanced Windows Media Redirection in VMware Horizon with View (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6814)By Tony Huynh, Product Line Manager, End-User Computing, VMware It has been a great year for the VMware Horizon team, and we are closing out the year strong! You may have seen the recent blog post announcing the Horizon 6.0.2 with View release and the Horizon Client 3.2 release. There were many exciting features announced […]
- VMware Horizon FLEX and View Local Mode: Similar Features, But Definitely Not the Same (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6802)By Gina Daly, Technical Writer for Technical Marketing, End-User Computing, VMware VMware View Client with Local Mode has been removed from Horizon 6 with View. But did you know that VMware Horizon FLEX offers a similar offline desktop solution? In this blog, we compare and contrast Horizon FLEX and View Local Mode features. Contrasting Features […]
- VMware Development Labs Sneak Peek: Serial Redirection in Horizon with View (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6797)By Peter Brown, Senior R&D Manager, VMware, London, UK With this blog, we introduce a new series of occasional End-User-Computing blogs called Sneak Peeks, where we discuss features and functionality we are working on in the Development labs. This gives us a chance to share the kinds of things we are thinking about and, […]
- VMware Fusion 7 Wins Editor’s Choice Award! (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6784)By Nannette Vilushis, Senior Product Marketing Manager, End-User Computing, VMware Although Christmas doesn’t arrive for another two weeks, the VMware Fusion team received an early holiday delight from PCMag.com – an Editors’ Choice award for VMware Fusion 7! VMware Fusion has always had a loyal following and the product team has put a lot of […]
- Build Your Partner Exchange 2015 Agenda with Schedule Builder (http://blogs.vmware.com/partner/?p=2273)Are you ready to maximize your partner experience at Partner Exchange 2015? If so, now is the time to take advantage of the live Schedule Builder to help organize and keep track of the sessions that matter to you most. Schedule Builder will also help you stay up to date with session additions, cancellations and […]
- Riverbed Creates VMware Plug-in for Workflow Automation (http://blogs.vmware.com/tap/?p=935)The VMware Technology Alliances Partner (TAP) Program provides many benefits to technology partners that enroll, including product licenses, marketing opportunities, training, roadmap reviews and VMware Ready certification for solutions that undergo the VMware Ready certification process. One valuable benefit to the TAP program is being able to post solutions to our marketplace, VMware Solutions Exchange […]
- HP Discover 2014: VMware and HP Simplify Virtualization (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1522)VMware and HP are working together to provide businesses with simple, scalable virtualization solutions. Check out these videos to find out how our joint virtualization solutions can make it easier for businesses to streamline their IT operations and reduce their IT operating costs.
- Global Expansion of vCloud Air Continues (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1520)On the heels of unveiling our plans for a new vCloud Air data center in Germany at VMworld Europe and making vCloud Air generally available in Japan, we recently announced our plans to extend the service to Australia in the first half of 2015. Together, these three new sites will help to accelerate vCloud Air […]
- Increased Incentives to Drive Profitability Through End of Year (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1516)Leverage VMware Power Plays…When you sell vSphere with Operations Management, Virtual SAN, or Horizon ENT & ADV you can earn an additional 10% on approved registrations through Advantage+ until Dec. 31, 2014. Learn more about our rewards.
- Dare to Thrive at Partner Exchange 2015 (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1514)This year VMware Partner Exchange 2015 has a Business/Technical focus and a goal of engaging with partners across the entire ecosystem, so don’t be surprised if it feels like it was created just for you. This event is an excellent opportunity to renew your VMware certification or validate new skills with significant discounts offered on […]
MORE NEWS AND DEVELOPMENTS FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Happy Holidays Part 3: Federation Treat “B” (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/12/happy-holidays-part-3-federation-treat-b.html)Yesterday, I did a post on ESA here - which is an example of tight integration and packaging of vRealize Operations Management and the EMC storage portfolio. Today's Federation Treat cuts right to the core of the federation principle of...
- Happy Holidays Part 2: Federation Treat “A” (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/12/happy-holidays-part-2-federation-treat-a.html)As you might imagine, I get a lot of questions from analysts these days about "this Federation thing - what's the material benefit?" While people in equity markets thrive off speculation (and this becomes a self-fulfilling thing - speculation begets...
- Happy Holidays Part 1: A New Tool (and a lesson) (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/12/happy-holidays-part-1-a-new-tool-and-a-lesson.html)Happy Holidays to all my dear friends and readers! In the Sakac household - the tree is up, the elf on the shelf magically moves every night (man I hate the panicked late night "magic" almost every night). Sure, I'm...
- SIOControlFlag2 what is it? (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15721)I had a question this week what Misc SIOControlFlag2 was. Some refer to it as SIOControlFlag2 and I’ve also seen Misc.SIOControlFlag2. In the end it is the same thing. It is something that sometimes pops up in the log files, or some may stumble in to the setting in the “advanced settings” on a host level. The question […] " SIOControlFlag2 what is it? " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via…
- Virtualization networking strategies… (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15714)I was asked a question on LinkedIn about the different virtualization networking strategies from a host point of view. The question came from someone who recently had 10GbE infrastructure introduced in to his data center and the way the network originally was architected was with 6 x 1 Gbps carved up in three bundles of 2 x […] " Virtualization networking strategies… " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual…
- Geek Whisperers episode: Marketing, Blogging & Community (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15711)I had the honor a couple of weeks ago to be on the Geek Whisperers podcast. It was very entertaining with John, Amy and Matt. The podcast deals about how I got started with blogging and communities and many other random topics. There are a couple things which I wanted to share. First and foremost, […] " Geek Whisperers episode: Marketing, Blogging & Community " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via…
- Blog Migration in the Works (http://blog.scottlowe.org/?p=3566)If you've noticed that new content has been sparse recently, it's because I've been busy preparing for a site migration. This site will soon migrate to a new platform and new layout. This article was originally posted on blog.scottlowe.org . Visit the site for more information on virtualization, servers, storage, and other enterprise technologies. Blog Migration in the Works
- CrashPlan – Backup Adoption is the Killer App (http://www.penguinpunk.net/blog/?p=2413)I’ve been happily using CrashPlan for about a year now, after publicly breaking up with MozyHome, and sleeping around on Backblaze. I’ve signed up for another 3 years or so, so I’m fairly committed at this point. I’m a big fan of the Aussie DC presence and ability to use a local seed drive. The […]
- #vBrownBag DevOps Follow-Up VMware AppVolumes with Chris Halstead (@chrisdhalstead) (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=5222)Chris Halstead demos the just released VMware AppVolumes (via the CloudVolumes acquisition). VMware AppVolumes Video You can follow Chris on Twitter @chrisdhalstead Originally published at http://ProfessionalVMware.com – Sign up for the live #vBrownBag broadcast at http://professionalvmware.com/brownbags/ where you can also get updates and view our past series such as the Automate All The Things series […]
- #vBrownBag VCP-NV Follow-Up Objective 8 with Lawrence Kohan (@lawrencekohan) (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=5220)Lawrence Kohan covers objective 8 of the VMware VCP-NV exam. Objectives include 8.1 – Configure Roles, Permissions, and Scopes 8.2 – Describe NSX Automation 8.3 – Monitor a VMware NSX Implementation 8.4 – Perform Auditing and Compliance 8.5 – Administer Logging 8.6 – Backup and Recover Configurations VCP-NV Objective 8 Video You can follow Lawrence […]
- ICND2 (CCNA) Study Guide (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=5214)Sorry for the post delay on this. But, here it is.. the 2nd part of the ICND series Study Guide. As with the 1st post, the core purpose behind these network exams is to help you better understand the concepts involved to achieve your VCP-NV (NSX). This exam (ICND2) is needed to complete the requirements […]
While I do my best to publish unbiased information specifically related to VMware solutions there is always the possibility of blog posts that are unrelated, competitive or potentially conflicting that may creep into the newsletter. I apologise for this in advance if I offend anyone and do my best to ensure this does not happen. Please get in touch if you feel any inappropriate material has been published. All information in this newsletter is copyright of the original author. If you are an author and wish to no longer be used in this newsletter please get in touch.