Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=84638d120599c4461b514e1a0&id=55fea0cf93&e=[UNIQID]
From the editors virtual desk
Hi everyone, it has been a very good and very busy week. Firstly we launched updates to our Cloud Operations Management Suite. See below for more information. I also decided to update my VCP and completed the VCP-550D exam online. I have written more about this here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/vmware-vcp-550d-exam-neil-isserow
I hope you all have a fantastic week, next week will be the last newsletter of the year as we head towards the festive season so I look forward to speaking to you all then.
Staff Technical Account Manager
VMware Inc - San Francisco, CA
nisserow @ vmware . com
A number of new and updated VMware solutions have been released in this past week in our vRealize Cloud Management Solution. Further details can be found in our press release: http://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/vmw-newsfeed/VMware-Announces-General-Availability-of-New-vRealize-Cloud-Management-Solutions/1907805
vRealize Code Stream 1.0
VMware vRealize™ Code Stream™ provides continuous delivery to enable frequent, reliable software releases, reduce operational risks and increase business agility.
vRealize Business 6.0 (formerly IT Business Management Suite)
VMware vRealize™ Business™ provides transparency and control over the costs and quality of IT services enabling the CIO to align IT with the business and to accelerate IT transformation.
vRealize Automation 6.2 (formerly vCloud Automation Center)
VMware vRealize™ Automation™ drives business agility by automating the delivery of personalized IT services.
vRealize Log Insight 2.5 (formerly vCenter Log Insight)
VMware vRealize™ Log Insight™ delivers real-time log management for VMware environments, with machine learning-based Intelligent Grouping, high performance search and better troubleshooting across physical, virtual, and cloud environments.
vRealize Operations Manager 6.0 (formerly vCops)
Automate IT operations management, manage performance and gain visibility across physical and virtual infrastructure with VMware vRealize Operations (vROps, formerly vCOps).
The long anticipated release of vRealize Operations Manager 6.0 is now GA and live on www.vmware.com.
Blog post with additional details on features: http://blogs.vmware.com/management/2014/10/introducing-vrealize-operations-6-0-delivering-intelligent-operations-from-apps-to-storage.html
· New resilient architecture
· Unified user interface
· Smart Alerts
· Enhanced reporting
· Flexible capacity models
· Custom policies
· Unified storage visibility
LOCAL TRAINING CLASSES
Upcoming Classes (Details: http://tinyurl.com/m4wmen5)
NEWS AND DEVELOPMENTS FROM VMWARE
- VMware Weekly News Recap, Dec. 12, 2014 (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3463)VMware News This week in VMware news, VMware’s Donna Wittmann has been named to the Computer Dealer News Women of the IT Channel Ecosystem 2014: Channel Chiefs list! Congratulations, Donna! Learn more about the distinction here. VMware announced that Digitalrep, experts in the retail shelf space domain, product database management, and manual process automation, has deployed VMware […]
- Administrators With Their Head in the vCloud – Luigi (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3438)The vCloud Suite has made it so easy to manage his company’s private cloud that Luigi now has time to contribute value in entirely new ways.
- Celebrating Computer Science Education Week (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3455)By Geoff Murase, group product marketing manager, End-User Computing, VMware This week marks the first Computer Science Education Week targeted at U.S. K-12 students, with the goal of having more students explore computer programming. The initiative is backed by Code.org and many Silicon Valley companies. At VMware, we want the next generation workforce to be […]
- Now Available: Cloud Management Platform and DevOps Solutions (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3448)By Sajai Krishnan, vice president of product marketing, Cloud Management Business Unit 2014 has been a momentous year for the VMware Cloud Management business unit. Today marks another milestone with the general availability of a significant update of vRealize Suite 6, featuring the major new release of vRealize Operations, and a new DevOps solution in […]
- How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love App Volumes (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3441)While most VMware shops enjoy the flexibility of provisioning virtual resources with the click of a button, it’s been somewhat of a trickier hurdle to bring that same level of agility to desktop application delivery. Spinning up a new virtual machine with enough power to smoothly run Adobe Creative Suite is easy, but actually getting […]
- #VMchat Recap: Networking is a Software Industry – and Here’s Why. (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3424)Last week, Guido Appenzeller, VMware’s Chief Technology Strategy Officer for networking and security, joined communications head Oliver Roll for the second in a series of #VMchat discussions. (You can view the first #VMchat in the series here, featuring an interview with VMware End-User Computing chief Sanjay Poonen.) During this month’s chat, Guido and Oliver explored the revolution that […]
- Top 20 VMware Fusion issues (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6363)Here’s a list of the top 20 KB issues our VMware Fusion customers are encountering in the past 30 days. Take a look over the list, maybe you’ll see something you or a friend could use. VMware Fusion 7.0 sales, licensing and compatibility FAQs (2081968) Downloading and Installing VMware Fusion (2014097) Troubleshooting Fusion virtual machine […]
- Transforming Operations and Perception of the IT Organization (http://blogs.vmware.com/cloudops/?p=1308)By David Crane A recent engagement with a long-established telecommunications firm presented a huge challenge—the solution for which is a great example of how operations transformation can drive technical transformation. The firm’s customer base spans various global regions, each of which presented a different customer experience. The IT organization functioned in extremely siloed environments, having […]
- Question of the Week (SDDC) (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=5078)This week’s question comes from the Software-Defined Data Center video series. A. As L4-L7 services B. As an L0 service C. As L1-L3 services D. As L8-L9 services Click through to the comments for the answer. Follow @VMwareEducation on Instagram to see more #TechTrivia every Friday and visual updates from the VMware Education and Certification community.
- You Asked & It’s Back – VCP5-DCV Delta Exam Returns (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=5069)Over the last few months the VMware Certified Professional 5 – Data Center Virtualization (VCP5-DCV) Delta exam has proven to be a very popular route to certification for many in our certified community. While we thought most people would take advantage of this opportunity to recertify before the end of the year, we have received […]
- Why Do You Want To Get Your VCDX? (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=5061)I ask people all the time, “What makes you want to get your VCDX?”, and the answers certainly vary. In some cases I get a blank stare back at me as if nobody asked the question before. I think asking the question “Why” is not only important in the defense process as it relates to […]
- Redefining the Role of Persistence Media Within the Software IO Stack (http://blogs.vmware.com/cto/?p=3150)Traditionally, persistence media has been a synonym for rotating disks — devices that are relatively naïve, providing basic read and write functionality with block-level atomicity. Rotating disks expose Logical Block Addresses (LBAs) that are statically mapped by the disk firmware to Physical Block Address (PBAs). The role of traditional disks has been limited to primarily providing power-safe durability, while the OS/hypervisor stack does the heavy lifting with regard to functionality for performance,…
- Open Standards and Open Source in the Mobile-Cloud Era (http://blogs.vmware.com/cto/?p=3134)Having been a part of industry standards for over 20 years, I am able to see the changing landscape of Open Standards and Open Source in the new Mobile-Cloud era. The shifts in the role standards and open source are playing today are much different from what it was 20 years ago. They have been evolving to accelerate innovation and interoperability in this time of our ever increasing dependence on information technology. In 1994 (20 years ago) during the Client-Server era, AOL, Prodigy and CompuServe were…
- VMware NSX: What we learned in 2014; what to look for in 2015 (http://blogs.vmware.com/cto/?p=3132)Before I launch into some predictions for 2015, I want to take a quick look back at the post I wrote a year ago , predicting how the network virtualization landscape would shape up in 2014. This is not just to pat myself on the back for getting a few things right (my predictions weren’t that bold in any case) but to see what the previous year can tell us about what’s coming next. For starters, I predicted that we’d see more adoption of NSX both numerically and in terms of a broader range of…
- Software-Defined Telco – NFV in Production with VMware (http://blogs.vmware.com/cto/?p=3114)Software-Defined Telco – NFV in Production with VMware Bjoern Brundert ( blog , twitter ) is a Sr. Technical Account Manager in Hamburg, Germany. As part of VMware’s Professional Services Organization he works with large enterprises to support and guide them on their journey to the Software-Defined Enterprise. One of his focus areas since early 2013 has been Network Functions Virtualization (NFV). General Introduction to Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) It is a very exciting time for the Telco…
- MySQL VM Backup with vSphere Data Protection (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=15848)I often get questions regarding backup of a MySQL database server (VM) using vSphere Data Protection (VDP). VDP does not have an agent for MySQL, but you can of course perform an image-level (entire-VM) backup of a VM running MySQL. With VDP and many other backup solutions that use the vSphere APIs for Data Protection […]
- vCenter Server 5.5 Availability guide (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=15852)It brings me great pleasure to announce the vCenter Server 5.5 Availability Guide is now available. With the End of Availability of vCenter Server Heartbeat we had many questions around what our recommendations are for protecting vCenter Server. With the help of Anil Kapur and Justin King we’ve got a pretty solid paper that discusses […]
- 3 Ways To Get Started With VMware NSX (http://blogs.vmware.com/networkvirtualization/?p=1787)Over the past 12 months, VMware NSX momentum has continued to grow, as we’ve added new platform capabilities, expanded our partner ecosystem, and of course, had more than 250+ customers purchase NSX for deployment. And as interest in VMware NSX has grown with both customers and IT professionals looking to evolve their careers by adding […]
- App Volumes AppStack Creation (http://blogs.vmware.com/consulting/?p=1867)By Dale Carter, Senior Solutions Architect, End-User Computing VMware App Volumes provide just-in-time application delivery to virtualized desktop environments. With this real-time application delivery system, applications are delivered to virtual desktops through VMDK virtual disks, without modifying the VM or applications themselves. Applications can be scaled out with superior performance, at lower costs, and without compromising end-user […]
- Get More Out of Your Cloud with the VMware vCloud Air Network (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4618)‘Tis the season for productivity! This holiday season, get more out of your cloud strategy with the VMware vCloud Air Network and enjoy greater flexibility, control and compliance with any of our 4,000 service providers located globally. Access to more of the cloud capabilities you need means you can sit back, relax, and enjoy more […]
- Another VMware Cloud In Action – Creative Solutions in Healthcare Reduces IT Costs by 30% Running Its Hybrid Cloud on VMware (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4509)Creative Solutions in Healthcare, the largest owner and operator of skilled nursing facilities in the state of Texas, had a problem: IT was driving up costs with little to show for it. The company decided to move their infrastructure to the cloud with VMware vCloud® Air™, and the shift was transformative. Since moving to the […]
- Why Today’s Cloud Foundry Foundation Launch Matters (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4588)By Jay Marshall Today’s announcement of the Cloud Foundry Foundation is a significant milestone for the industry’s leading open platform as a service project. The Cloud Foundry Foundation is made up of more than 40 member companies and will be managed as a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project, a leader in managing and operating open source […]
- Top Five Reasons Why Your Organization Should Consider Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4581)Few organizations can afford the downtime caused by a disaster. Those capable of weathering such events usually have the datacenters, internal expertise and budget to do so — options that aren’t available for most mid-market organizations. However the tides are changing, as many organizations look away from traditional disaster recovery solutions and to the cloud. […]
- New VMware Security Advisory VMSA-2014-0014 (http://blogs.vmware.com/security/?p=1298)Today VMware has released the following new security advisory: VMSA-2014-0014 The advisory documents CVE-2014-8372, an information disclosure vulnerability in AirWatch by VMware. AirWatch Cloud has been patched to resolve this issue, On-Premise deployments must be updated. Customers should review the security advisory and direct any questions to VMware Support. Please sign up to the Security-Announce mailing […]
- New VMware Security Advisory VMSA-2014-0013 (http://blogs.vmware.com/security/?p=1295)Today VMware has released the following new security advisory: VMSA-2014-0013 The advisory documents CVE-2014-8373, a critical remote privilege escalation vulnerability in vCloud Automation Center (vCAC). It is important to note that the provided patches will temporarily disable the vCAC “Connect (by) Using VMRC” functionality for directly connecting to vCenter Server. Customers should review the security […]
- vRealize Operations Tech Tips #6 – Understanding Capacity Planning Terminology (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5691)vRealize Operations Manager continues lead the industry with its capacity planning functionality by enhancing its capacity algorithms, providing even more flexibility, better out of the box default options and initial configuration wizards to help you set up your capacity policies. Build a capacity “What-if-scenario” to determine your future needs and hardware purchases and commit them […]
- The Power of VMware vRealize Suite at Choice Hotels (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5643)by Rich Bourdeau I came across this video: Choice Hotels Slashes IT Provisioning Times and Improves Performance with vRealize Suite. I’ve summarized their story below, but if you have 3 minutes I highly recommend you watch the video to learn first-hand about how VMware vRealize Suite cloud management platform improved IT service delivery times and […]
- vRealize Suite 6 downloads now available (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5667)vRealize Suite is a cloud management platform purpose-built for the hybrid cloud. Today’s release includes powerful new features that enhance unified management across physical, virtual including vSphere® and Hyper-V, and hybrid cloud including Amazon Web Services, VMware vCloud Air and those based on OpenStack. Both Advanced and Enterprise editions include the latest updates of […]
- Announcing Availability of vRealize Code Stream (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5652)by Rich Bourdeau VMware announces the availability of vRealize™ Code Stream™ release automation and continuous delivery software Code Stream is a new VMware product targeted at organizations that use agile development approaches and that want to automate a manual release process. It allows developers and operations teams to release software more frequently, more efficiently, and at lower […]
- Available to Download Now: vRealize Operations 6.0, vRealize Log Insight 2.5, and vRealize Operations Insight 6.0 (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5611)At VMware, we focus on helping customers simplify their IT Operations Management, and have a strong set of solution offerings to that objective. We’re excited to share that today the following VMware products have reached General Availability: vRealize Operations 6.0 (Free Trial; Download; Documentation) vRealize Log Insight 2.5 (Free Trial; Download; Documentation) vRealize Operations Insight […]
- vRealize Operations Tech Tips #5 – The New and Improved UI (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5624)vRealize Operations Manager provides a new “merged” UI that combines the best of the previous vSphere and Custom UIs. Whereas before you were confronted with two different looking and feeling interfaces you now see a clean and simple, easy-to-use UI which includes daily recommendations, dashboards, quick links, help features, workspaces (aka wizards), alerts, heatmaps, etc. […]
- VMware App Volumes Deployment Guide Is Now Available (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6776)By Tristan Todd, VMware End-User-Computing Architect Many years ago, I led a desktop support team at a small supply chain management company. The office was located in one of the many amazing food districts in Portland, Oregon. My team always scheduled a fantastic lunch outing on Fridays. Being the last one to leave my desk, […]
- VMware Mirage 5.2 Now Generally Available! (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6770)By Sachin Sharma, Product Marketing, End-User Computing, VMware Following on to our desktop innovation blog yesterday, I’m pleased to expand on the details of VMware Mirage 5.2 which is now generally available! A big part of what we have been working on is actually now available as a part of VMware Horizon FLEX. Horizon FLEX […]
- The Desktop Innovation Train Continues Forward (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6758)By Shankar Iyer, VP of Product Management, Desktop Solutions, End-User Computing, VMware It’s been exactly a quarter since my last blog on our product releases and I’m thrilled to be talking about our next set of releases now available. We’ve continued the rapid pace we set earlier this year and are excited to be delivering […]
- App Volumes Is Here – Next Generation Application Delivery! (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6763)By Harry Labana, Vice President of Products, End-User Computing, VMware VMware App Volumes (formerly CloudVolumes) is now shipping! App Volumes is a real-time application delivery system that enables IT to instantly deliver applications with complete application lifecycle management. App Volumes provides seamless end-user experience while reducing infrastructure and management costs. Unlike traditional application management solutions, […]
- Enterprise mobility news recap: Dec. 8 – 12 (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=33610)It’s a numbers game this week. In the past few days, we have learned about a website and app that has helped contractors rake in $1.5 trillion and an upcoming deployment of 23,000 iOS 6 Pluses. United Airlines announced this week plans to deploy 23,000 devices to flight operations staff. Flight attendants will use iPhone […]
- WireLurker “heralds a new era in malware” (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=33583)Lurking in the shadows within the unsuspecting user’s operating system, a new breed of malicious software has made a rude announcement that it can inhabit not only users’ computers, but also their mobile devices. And in today’s interconnected world, we know all too well how far leaked information can spread. From routing numbers tied into […]
- How AirWatch helps federal aviation organizations go mobile (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=33571)Three lessons learned from commercial aviation
- The PC is far from extinct, but you should start preparing for the post-PC era anyway. Here’s how. (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=33547)Microsoft’s Frank Shaw may have been onto something when he coined the term PC-plus back in 2011. In a company blog post, Shaw wrote, “Most of the time, new objects enhance and complement the things we’ve already got. They don’t replace them.” Three years later, his sentiment rings true. Many businesses are still reliant on […]
- Video: Retail technology past, present and future (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=33517)Mobility in the retail space is continuing to expand. Within the last year, AirWatch retail customers have taken advantage of EMM solutions and further incorporated mobile technology into the shopping experience. In the below video, AirWatch retail mobility solutions expert Ed Durbin reflects on retailers’ rapid mobile adoption over the past year and discusses the […]
- SDDC Portfolio Service Offering Updates (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1512)The Cloud Automation Solution now includes vRealize Automation 6.1 and updates have been made to: Design and Deploy Service Accelerator Service, vCloud Automation Center 6.1 Knowledge Transfer Plus Virtualization now includes vSphere Upgrade Service and vCloud Air includes Knowledge Transfer.
- Can You Spare 60 Seconds on Virtual SAN? (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1509)VMware Virtual SAN is simple to deploy, it offers elastic scalability and high performance, and lowers the storage TCO by 50%. Watch this 60-second video to understand why and how to execute this highly customizable campaign through the Demand Center and start generate leads today.
- Customer Promotions to Close Deals Prior to Year-End (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1507)Remember that the 25%-off upgrade-promotion from vSphere to vSphere with Operations Management ends Dec. 29th and the vCenter Operations Management Add-on with promotional CPU-based pricing ends on Dec. 15th. This is a great opportunity to remind your customers to place their orders soon, so that you can benefit from the associated partner incentives as well. […]
- New Key EUC Products are Available to Sell (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1505)Download the End User Computing (EUC) launch playbook for more detail on these key EUC products: VMware Horizon FLEX , VMware Workstation, and VMware Player Pro. With all of these products and solutions now generally available, visit the Quarterly Partner Briefing portal to learn more.
- Dare to Thrive at Partner Exchange 2015 (http://blogs.vmware.com/partner/?p=2263)This year VMware Partner Exchange 2015 will include some exciting changes, making it better than ever. With a Business/Technical focus and a goal of engaging with partners across the entire ecosystem, don’t be surprised if Partner Exchange 2015 feels like it was created just for you. If you have yet to register, do so soon. […]
- Could an IT Scrinch ruin your holidays with data center downtime? (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=3186)Could an “IT Scrinch” be living in your virtualized infrastructure? And could it be wreaking havoc on your business continuity and disaster recovery (BC/DR) plans in your IT environment? These questions are probed in a new decked-for-the-holidays infographic that shows how VMware BC/DR solutions help you combat the IT Scrinch and save the day for […]
- Four Ways BC/DR Can Help Your SMB – Part 1: Backup (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=3181)By: vExpert Gregg Robertson Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (BC/DR) is something every business, no matter how big or small, should be thinking about and planning for. Whilst preparing for my VCAP-DCD and even for my VCDX attempt, BC/DR was a very important topic, as two of the infrastructure qualities (AMPRS) that all designs show impact on […]
- Ready to take to the stage at VMUG? (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1639)Have you ever thought taking to the stage at one … Read More
- Sweet success at HP Discover 2014 (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1632)“The numbers speak for themselves. Software-Defined Enterprises are 37% more … Read More
- UK VMUG User Conference 2014 Highlights (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1623)Now in its fourth year, last month’s UK VMUG User … Read More
- Guest blog: Bluefin Solutions (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1149)Following the the success of VMware vCloud Air since its … Read More
- VMware vCloud Air Customer Success Stories (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1615)It’s nearly a year since we launched VMware vCloud® Air™. … Read More
MORE NEWS AND DEVELOPMENTS FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Must read post on Cloud Native Apps (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15703)I don’t do this too often but I wanted to share an excellent blog post by one of my colleagues. I was writing something along the same lines as it seems there is a lot of confusion around what cloud native apps are and what they bring. Even when it comes to containers there still seems to be […] " Must read post on Cloud Native Apps " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via Pearson today!
- Operational Efficiency (You’re not Facebook/Google/Netflix) (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15683)In previous roles, also before I joined VMware, I was a system administrator and a consultant. The tweets below reminded me of the kind of work I did in the past and triggered a train of thought that I wanted to share… @jtmcarthur56 That's only achievable when you have 50,000 servers running one application — […] " Operational Efficiency (You’re not Facebook/Google/Netflix) " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book…
- Stardate: 5977.497.471 (Aka “VMAX3 has a big day”) (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/12/stardate-5977497471-aka-vmax3-has-a-big-day.html)Congrats to the VMAX engineering team - for getting the Q4 VMAX3 Service Release out last week as committed! The specific release is 5977.497.471, which there was an internal thread where Jeremy Burton noticed it looked like something from. "Captains...
- The Trouble Connecting vCenter Virtual Appliance to Active Directory (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=10555)One of my colleagues ran into some trouble with connecting a vCenter Virtual Appliance to Active Directory for authentication. He was getting a weird error saying that the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) was wrong. The actual error message was as follows: Failed to execute ‘/usr/sbin/vpxd_servicecfg ‘ad’ ‘write’ ‘administrator@’ CENSORED ‘’ VC_CFG_RESULT=302(Error: Enabling Active Directory […]
While I do my best to publish unbiased information specifically related to VMware solutions there is always the possibility of blog posts that are unrelated, competitive or potentially conflicting that may creep into the newsletter. I apologise for this in advance if I offend anyone and do my best to ensure this does not happen. Please get in touch if you feel any inappropriate material has been published. All information in this newsletter is copyright of the original author. If you are an author and wish to no longer be used in this newsletter please get in touch.