From the editors virtual desk
Hi everyone, I hope your week was as good as mine. I got to spend the day at Dreamforce, the annual Salesforce convention in San Francisco. It was absolutely awesome. I attended a number of excellent presentations and took a look around the exhibition areas as well. It was really a great event to attend and for me it was my first introduction to San Francisco events since I arrived.
Of course there was another notable event on this past week, VMworld Europe, an event I would love to attend one day. I have received much feedback on this event and that it was a huge success, if you attended I hope you enjoyed it, watch for many of the announcements from the week in the newsletter.
A number of items worth noting this week. There was a new VMware KB article with guidance on Transparent Page Sharing (TPS) and the upcoming changes that are taking place so please take a look at that, the article can be found here https://blogs.vmware.com/security/2014/10/transparent-page-sharing-additional-management-capabilities-new-default-settings.html.
Have a fantastic week, enjoy the newsletter and please don't forget to check the latest KB articles each week to ensure they do not affect your environment.
Staff Technical Account Manager
VMware Inc - San Francisco, CA
nisserow @ vmware . com
LOCAL TRAINING CLASSES
- Downgrading the hardware version of a VMware Fusion virtual machine (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6326)In this new video tutorial we demonstrate how to downgrade the virtual hardware version of a VMware Fusion virtual machine. This process would be needed if you were evaluating VMware Fusion 7.x and after the evaluation period expired you wanted to downgrade to VMware Fusion 6. For additional information see VMware Knowledge Base article Downgrading […]
- PCoIP issues with Horizon View Desktops (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6316)
There are various reasons a user might experience a blank (black) screen when using the PCoIP protocol with Horizon View and our Support Engineers get calls on this every day. These include, but are not limited to: Misconfiguration of connection server settings. vRAM shortage on the View virtual machine. Incorrect video driver version installed on […]
- CMO Perspectives from #VMworld 2014 Europe – Day 2 (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3231)On the second day of keynotes at VMworld 2014 Europe, Tribal Knowledge caught up with Robin Matlock, Chief Marketing Office at VMware. Watch the video below to hear her perspectives from the showroom floor. (Did you miss our video interview with Robin after Day One? If so, check it out here.)
- Weekly News Roundup, #VMworld Europe 2014 Edition (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3222)Thanks to everyone who came out to VMworld Europe 2014. What a show! We wish everyone safe travels home from Barcelona. With more than 9,000 attendees, the energy and excitement from this conference was palpable, whether you were on the showroom floor or tuning in digitally. Here’s a recap of news and buzz from the show: […]
- VMware Joins Industrial Internet Consortium to Accelerate Internet of Things in the Enterprise (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3218)By Sanjay Poonen, EVP/GM of VMware’s end-user computing business Today, as AirWatch® by VMware chairman Alan Dabbiere gives a keynote at the Cisco Internet of Things World Forum, I am thrilled to announce that VMware, as part of the EMC Federation, has joined the Industrial Internet Consortium (IIC) to further advance and support enterprise Internet […]
- CMO Perspectives from #VMworld 2014 Europe – Day 1 (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3216)Not able to make it to VMworld 2014 Europe in Barcelona? Don’t worry! Tribal Knowledge caught up with Robin Matlock, Chief Marketing Office at VMware after the Day One general session. Watch the video below to hear her perspectives from the showroom floor.
- Daily Dispatches @ VMworld Europe 2014: Day 2 (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3202)By Oliver Roll @oliverroll Day 2 of VMworld Europe 2014 is officially underway with nearly 9,000 people in attendance, and if you thought Tuesday was action-packed, wait until you see what Wednesday has in store. Be sure to join us for the Hall Crawl in the Solutions Exchange at 5 p.m. Day 1 Recap From […]
- VMware Welcomes HP and Hitachi Data Systems to EVO: RAIL Partner Program (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3151)
By Mornay Van Der Walt, vice president, Emerging Solutions Group, SDDC Division It seems that the time between VMworld 2014 San Francisco and this week’s VMworld 2014 Barcelona has flown by. In reality, the VMware EVO: RAIL team has remained hard at work during the last seven weeks. In that time, we launched EVO: RAIL, […]
- #VIDEO: Unboxing EVO:RAIL (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=3195)EVO:RAIL was announced to great fanfare at VMworld 2014 U.S. in San Francisco, and the excitement didn’t end there. One engineer has been waiting for his EVO:RAIL ever since the announcement in August. He’s unable to contain his enthusiasm when his EVO:RAIL arrives in the mail. So what does he do? Film the unboxing of […]
- Question of the Week (vCOPs) (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4902)This week’s question comes from the vCenter Operations video series. A) The Efficiency badge B) The Health badge C) The Capacity Remaining badge D) The Density badge Click through to the comments for the answer. Follow @VMwareEducation on Instagram to see more #TechTrivia every Friday and visual updates from the VMware Education and Certification community.
- Calling all Firefighters! Build your vMuscle with advanced training in VMware’s vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [5.5] (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4809)There’s a reason firefighters stay fit. When a building is in flames and the red lights are flashing, firefighters rely on their strength, smarts and skills to pull through a crisis. Before disaster hits they train, they test equipment, they learn from each other. Our instructors and students are a lot like firefighters running virtual […]
- Talking VCDX at VeeamON With vBrownBag (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4878)This week I was at the VeeamON conference for a few days and the vBrown Bag folks asked me to spend a few minutes talking about VCDX. Emad Younis and I set it up as an interview which was interesting because he’s thinking about going for his VCDX. I figured it would give him the […]
- New Network Virtualization Certification Available – VCIX-NV (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4863)The new VMware Certified Implementation Expert – Network Virtualization (VCIX-NV) certification validates your ability to install, configure, and administer NSX virtual networking implementations in a demanding hands-on lab environment. Successful candidates will demonstrate core networking abilities, as well as Enterprise-class NSX networking implementation skills. Watch the video to learn more about this new program, or download […]
- VMware Virtual SAN Operations: Disk Group Management (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=15068)This new blog series will focus on Virtual SAN day-to-day operations related tasks and their recommended operating procedures. I will start the series by covering one of the key and most important aspects of Virtual SAN, which is the management of disk groups. Managing Disk Groups Disk groups are logical management constructs designed to aggregate […]
- A Window into the VMware IT Transformation Journey (http://blogs.vmware.com/cio/?p=93)
By Tony Scott, CIO, VMware Just like many of our customers, we’re on a journey to transform our business by transforming how we approach people, process and technology. We’re redefining the role, expectations, and capabilities of IT. After implementing our own internal SDDC in 2013, we have built upon it with VMware cloud infrastructure, hybrid […]
- Integration & Innovation: Announcing Horizon FLEX (http://blogs.vmware.com/cto/?p=2995)Today I’m at VMworld Europe where we made some exciting new announcements in End-User Computing. For this blog, I wanted to focus on a new product we announced called Horizon FLEX . FLEX is interesting because it’s both an integration and an innovation. Integration update First, let’s start off with what we’ve been up to with integrations. As you know, I’ve written a couple of blogs on our integration plans for EUC. We laid out seven specific integration points that we felt could drive…
- EUC Datacenter Design Series — EVO:RAIL VDI Scalability Reference (http://blogs.vmware.com/consulting/?p=1680)By TJ Vatsa with Fred Schimscheimer and Todd Dayton End User Computing (EUC) has come of age and is continuing to mature by leaps and bounds. Customers are no longer considering virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) as a tactical project but are looking at EUC holistically as an enterprise solution that accelerates EUC transformation. You can refer […]
- Introducing VMware’s vRealize Air Compliance (vRAC) (http://blogs.vmware.com/security/?p=1247)Hola Peeps, It is with great pleasure that I introduce our latest and greatest Compliance solution from VMware, vRealize Air Compliance! vRAC gives you event driven compliance checks of your virtual infrastructure and tells you WHO made a non compliant change and when it occurred in near realtime! (As fast as the Seahawk’s defense making […]
- Transparent Page Sharing – additional management capabilities and new default settings (http://blogs.vmware.com/security/?p=1240)Today VMware introduced additional capabilities to manage Transparent Page Sharing (TPS). This addition was prompted by recent academic research that leveraged TPS to gain unauthorized access to data under certain highly controlled conditions. We also announced that starting in December with the next ESXi Update release, TPS among virtual machines will no longer be enabled […]
- NSX-v 6.1 security hardening guide released for community feedback! (http://blogs.vmware.com/security/?p=1223)Hi All, It is pleasing to announce the release of much awaited NSX-v 6.1 security hardening guide to the community for feedback and comments. Now, you can securely deploy NSX-v using the prescriptive guidelines mentioned in the guide. Take your copy here. If you have something to say about it please write to firstname.lastname@example.org and […]
- TPS (Transparent Page Sharing) and vCloud Air (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4422)Transparent Page Sharing (TPS) is a memory oversubscription technique that reduces physical memory usage by sharing identical memory pages between virtual machines (VMs) – e.g., when two VMs are running the same operating system. Academic security researchers have recently shown that TPS may be used to gain unauthorized access to data running in VMs on […]
- Announcing the Expansion of vCloud Air in Europe (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4395)VMworld Europe 2014 is officially underway, and we’ve kicked off the show with a lot of exciting news for VMware vCloud® Air™! In his keynote, our own Pat Gelsinger announced plans to bring vCloud Air to all VMware customers in Germany, an important first step to introducing an easy, fast path to an efficient and […]
- Direct Connect: Now Available at a vCloud Air Location Near You (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4390)By popular demand, we are excited to announce the worldwide rollout of the VMware vCloud® Air™ Direct Connect™ service introduced last year to all existing VMware vCloud® Air™ locations. By providing a dedicated and secure connection with a streamlined deployment process, VMware is enabling customers around the world to seamlessly integrate vCloud Air into their […]
- Video: How to Upgrade from vCloud Automation Center 6.0 to 6.1 (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5097)By Rich Bourdeau Thinking about Upgrading from vCloud Automation Center 6.0 to 6.1 we have a video available to help you understand the process. The video covers how to upgrade: The virtual appliance The IaaS database The IaaS machine The SSO appliance (vCenter Server Appliance) Verify Update Watch: vCloud Automation Center 6.0 to 6.1 Upgrade […]
- Researching ITFM Vendors? Check out the latest Gartner Report! (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=5087)If you’re a CIO, lead IT Finance, or the head of Infrastructure and/or Operations in an enterprise that is pressured from stakeholders to justify IT costs or needs data to help the lines-of-business (LOB) make fact-based investment decisions, chances are very good that you are seeking ways to get better at IT Financial Management (ITFM). […]
- vRealize Suite Delivers Enhanced Resource Reclamation (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4947)by Rich Bourdeau Do you have a VM sprawl problem? Customers tell me all the time that somewhere between 5% and 15% of their resources are likely to be inactive and no longer needed. Lease policies address transient applications like development, test, modeling, simulation, but what about all those applications that are supposed to be […]
- Log Insight 2.5 Release Announced (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4901)Today, we’re happy to announce the pending availability of VMware® vRealize™ Log Insight™ 2.5. It will be generally available in late 2014. To be notified with the product is available for evaluation and download, sign up here: http://eepurl.com/3FUsr . Key features in this release include: Role Based Access Control Inventory Data Integration with vCenter Operations […]
- Introducing VMware vRealize Business (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4988)Empowering Infrastructure and Operations teams with intuitive cloud business management capabilities VMware is unveiling the new VMware vRealize Business (formerly VMware IT Business Management Suite), including vRealize Business 6.0 Standard and vRealize Business 8.2 Advanced/Enterprise. As IT organizations begin to rely more on cloud services – whether internally delivered or externally sourced – to deliver […]
- Introducing vRealize Operations 6.0 – Delivering Intelligent Operations From Apps to Storage (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4977)
Folks, today at VMworld Barcelona, we announced VMware vRealize Operations 6.0 (formerly vCenter Operations Management Suite). You can read more about today’s announcements in this press release, as well as in this blog post by Ramin Sayar. In this post, I’d like to give you an overview of what’s new and exciting in vRealize Operations 6.0. For complete details on […]
- VMware vRealize™ Code Stream™: Enabling Continuous Delivery for DevOps teams (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4959)We are excited to announce VMware vRealize Code Stream, our new solution for Continuous Delivery of software. vRealize Code Stream will enable customers to rapidly release software from development to production environments, while reducing operational risk. Over the last few years, organizations have incorporated agile development approaches into their release process. Instead of bundling large […]
- Disabling TPS in vSphere – Impact on Critical Applications (http://blogs.vmware.com/apps/?p=1097)Starting with update releases in December, 2014, VMware vSphere will default to a new configuration for the Transparent Page Sharing (TPS) feature. Unlike in prior versions of vSphere up to that point, TPS will be DISABLED by default. TPS will continued to be disabled for all future versions of vSphere. In the interim, VMware has […]
- Disaster Recovery for Virtualized Business Critical Applications (Part 3 of 3) (http://blogs.vmware.com/apps/?p=1074)Planned Migration: One of the relatively newer use cases for SRM is planned migration. With this use case, customers can migrate their business critical workloads to the recovery or cloud provider sites in a planned manner. This could be in planning for an upcoming threat such as a hurricane or other disaster or an actual […]
- Disaster Recovery for Virtualized Business Critical Applications (Part 2 of 3) (http://blogs.vmware.com/apps/?p=1070)Protection Groups: A protection group is a group of virtual machines that fail over together to the recovery site. Protection groups contain virtual machines whose data has been replicated by array-based replication or by VR. Typically contains virtual machines that are related in some way such as: A three-tier application (application server, database server, Web […]
- Disaster Recovery for Virtualized Business Critical Applications (Part 1 of 3) (http://blogs.vmware.com/apps/?p=1035)The purpose of the exercise was to demonstrate use cases for disaster recovery of real business critical applications (BCA) leveraging VMware solutions such as VMWare Site Recovery Manager (SRM). Techniques to protect against disaster for common business critical applications such as Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, SAP and Oracle Databases are discussed. Some Background on […]
- Docker Containers Performance in VMware vSphere (http://blogs.vmware.com/performance/?p=2061)By Qasim Ali, Banit Agrawal, and Davide Bergamasco “Containers without compromise” – This was one of the key messages at VMworld 2014 USA in San Francisco. It was presented in the opening keynote, and then the advantages of running Docker containers inside of virtual machines were discussed in detail in several breakout sessions. These […]
- DESKTOPMonster Performance with SQL Server VMs on vSphere 5.5 (http://blogs.vmware.com/performance/?p=2053)
VMware vSphere provides an ideal platform for customers to virtualize their business-critical applications, including databases, ERP systems, email servers, and even newly emerging technologies such as Hadoop. I’ve been focusing on the first one (databases), specifically Microsoft SQL Server, one of the most widely deployed database platforms in the world. Many organizations have dozens or […]
- Introducing VMware Horizon FLEX (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6617)By Gina Daly, Technical Writer for Technical Marketing, End-User Computing, VMware Do your employees want to use Macs in the workplace? Do you want to say ‘Yes’ to a BYO program? Perhaps you are hiring more temporary and contract staff? However, you struggle with balancing corporate access and corporate compliance… VMware Horizon FLEX is an […]
- VMware Horizon Client for Mac Is Ready for OS X 10.10 (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6613)By Kristina De Nike, Product Line Manager, End-User Computing, VMware No need to be alarmed. Apple has announced that Mac OS X 10.10 is available. But if you are running the latest Horizon Client for Mac, version 3.1, you do not need to change anything. The current client works beautifully with Yosemite and looks beautiful […]
- VMware Fast Track 2.0 Program: New Proven Storage Solutions to Accelerate Your Horizon Deployment (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6545)By Mason Uyeda, Senior Director, Industry Solutions and Technical Enablement, End-User Computing, VMware Horizon has long been recognized for its ease of deployment, manageability, and predictability…all critical factors in the world of IT. These attributes have helped make Horizon with View the market-leading VDI product that it is. But the importance of these same factors […]
- VMware Horizon FLEX Makes VMware the Vendor With the Most Comprehensive Virtual Desktop and App Portfolio (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6536)By Sumit Dhawan, SVP and GM, Desktop Products, End-User Computing Coming off of the tremendous momentum of VMworld U.S., here we are at VMworld Europe 2014! I have been to Barcelona about half a dozen times and it is always great to spend time here – great vibe with interesting architecture, delicious tapas, beautiful flamenco […]
- VMware Horizon Air Adds New Cloud Service for End-Users (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6539)By Erik Frieberg, VP of Marketing, End-User Computing, VMware Hola from Barcelona! It’s about 70 degrees and a bit humid here in the city… and it feels like I haven’t left Palo Alto. Regardless of how similar the weather might be, Barcelona is one of a kind when it comes to its food and hospitality. […]
- Real-Time Application Delivery and Lifecycle Management with VMware App Volumes (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6542)By Harry Labana, vice president of products, End-User Computing, VMware Tectonic shifts are taking place globally that require businesses to quickly adapt to change and shift cost to activities that increase productivity. Traditional approaches to application delivery and lifecycle management, designed for the distributed computing era will not scale for modern enterprises. This is placing […]
- Alarms in Mirage 5.0 (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6553)By Sachin Sharma, Product Marketing Manager, End-User Computing, VMware It has been a few months since we released Horizon 6, yet it feels like it was just yesterday! With all the activities since the release (webinars, workshops, road shows, and so on), I have had little time to blog about one of my favorite aspects […]
- AirWatch by VMware signs on to enable IoT in the enterprise (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=32612)Cisco’s Internet of Things World Forum, which took place this week in Chicago, demonstrated that the Internet of Things has become a reality for many businesses. In an opening address Tuesday, Cisco chief globalization officer Wim Elfrink said that more than 3 billion objects have been network connected in the last year alone, and that […]
- Enterprise mobility news recap: Oct. 13 – 17 (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=32597)
We saw big reveals from Apple and Android this week, VMworld Europe came to a close, and conversations at Cisco’s IoT World Forum and DreamForce focused on mobile. VMWorld Europe took place this week in Barcelona, where VMware made several end user-computing announcements, such as a new partnership with IoT services provider Jasper and additional VMWare […]
- Android Lollipop: Sugar-coated in enterprise features (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=32567)Google’s latest Android OS update continues to support the company’s goal of offering an open mobile platform for developers. In a blog post, Google described Lollipop as the “most ambitious” Android release yet. This release is sharing more than 5,000 new APIs. It is also targeted at enterprise users. “We wanted to make sure that […]
- AirWatch offers instant support for new management features in OS X Yosemite (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=32552)With its latest Mac OS release, Apple is giving enterprises even finer control over Mac desktops and laptops. AirWatch has integrated with new configuration profiles in OS X Yosemite to enable administrators to begin using additional management features today. Last month, AirWatch introduced additional Mac Management controls, such as application management, a streamlined staging process, […]
- VMworld Europe 2014: VMware End-User Computing Continues Momentum (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=32525)By Sanjay Poonen, EVP and GM, End-User Computing, VMware
- AirWatch Secure Content Locker named a “Leader” in Aragon Research Globe for MCM (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=32513)According to this year’s Aragon Research Globe for Mobile Content Management, “content management is at a crossroads.”* Most organizations now need a way to secure and manage content outside of traditional enterprise file sync and share repositories, Aragon reports, as more and more content is accessed and shared on mobile devices. Unlike traditional file sync […]
- Watch the video: Chris Moyer discusses the HP-VMware partnership (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=32477)Today at VMworld Europe, VMware announced that HP Mobile Enterprise Services will now support AirWatch by VMware solutions. Customers can choose from two HP Managed Mobility Services packages to help them deploy the AirWatch platform: Management Essentials to quickly deploy full-featured enterprise mobile device and application management without infrastructure or capital investment Trusted App Access […]
- The Future Belongs to the Fast, the Flexible and the Brave (http://blogs.vmware.com/partner/?p=2191)In a world that’s rapidly being re-shaped by technology, the most successful business and IT leaders are acting bravely and decisively to create change rather than wait for them. Yesterday, VMware announced exciting new additions to its portfolio—from managing your software-defined data center in the hybrid cloud more effectively to delivering a secure virtual workspace— […]
- VMworld Europe Partner Recognition Awards (http://blogs.vmware.com/partner/?p=2184)Congratulations to the winners of the VMworld Europe Partner Recognition Awards. Our Partner recognition awards took place during Partner Day, and were hosted by Benjamin Caller and Juergen Kuehlewein, with executive attendance from Dave O’Callaghan, Maurizio Carli, and Carl Eschenbach. With 13 awards up for grabs this year, and strong finalists in each category, it […]
- Take 5 to Learn how HP SDN Federates with VMware NSX (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1407)This 5-minute video showcases how the HP Converged Control SDN Application federates with VMware NSX to dynamically extend overlay tunnels to physical servers.
- Q3 Product Launches Now Available to Sell (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1405)These products – announced at VMworld 2014 in San Francisco – are now available to sell. Download the SDDC and EUC Partner Launch Playbooks to learn more about the following solutions. VMware vCloud Suite 5.8 VMware vRealize Cloud Management Platform 6.0 VMware vSphere Operations Management 5.5 VMware EVO:RAIL VMware vRealize Operations Insight VMware vSphere Data […]
- NORAM Partners – Q4 Velocity to Millions is Nov. 3-7, 2014 (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1401)
Register to access resources and pre-schedule phone appointments for your prospecting day. Gift card awards can be earned throughout November as you build pipeline and drive revenue for the Power Plays. Register and review the details along with new tools.
- HP and VMware Partner to Deliver HP ConvergedSystem 200-HC EVO: RAIL (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1399)
At VMworld 2014 in Barcelona, we announced our partnership with HP to simplify and accelerate the delivery of software-defined infrastructure services with EVO:RAIL. This partnership with provide midmarket and enterprises a more simplified approach to purchasing, deploying, scaling, and securing support for their software-defined IT infrastructure. Customers will now be able to enjoy quick deployments […]
- Annual Partner (& Customer) Surveys Deploying This Month (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1393)Watch for your invitation from Dave O’Callaghan to participate in the Annual Partner Relationship Survey starting Oct. 17th. Our customers will receive the VMware survey starting Oct. 10th from Pat Gelsinger. Please encourage them to participate as well.
- Watch the Keynotes From VMworld 2014 in Barcelona… (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1389)
Register now to watch the live stream replay of today’s (Oct. 14th) keynotes from VMworld 2014 in Barcelona. You registration will get you access to tomorrow’s (Oct. 15th) keynotes as well – live stream or replay (posted a few hours after each session). Discover how software is already making IT more capable, more accessible, […]
- OTHERVMware|Fujitsu Redefine the Role of the Data Center (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1387)
VMware and Fujitsu are working together to deliver innovative products, services, and solutions to help businesses transform their data centers. Replay this webinar to hear all of the details on how we are redefining the role of the data center.
- Pat Gelsinger On What’s Next For VMware Bulgaria and The Future of IT (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1394)This week we launched our new Cloud Management solutions, and … Read More
- vCloud Air at VMworld – Storify (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1388)VMworld might be a lot of fun, but there’s no … Read More
- VMworld Europe Day 2 Keynote Highlights (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1385)If yesterday’s keynote was focused on all the latest VMware … Read More
- Day 2 KeyNote at VMworld Europe 2014 (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1377)It’s our second day at VMworld and we are not … Read More
- What a day at VMworld Europe 2014! (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1369)After a fantastic start with our general session in the … Read More
- Maximise your time at VMworld Europe 2014! (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1351)
With over 500 sessions to choose from and just three … Read More
- 3rd Party Evaluation of Hybrid Cloud M&O integration (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/10/3rd-party-evaluation-of-hybrid-cloud-mo-integration.html)Just as I’m about to board a plane to Barcelona for VMworld 2014 there – this crosses my path. Tres apropos! http://wikibon.org/wiki/v/Evaluation_Hybrid_Cloud_Strategic_Options_for_Enterprise_VMware_Installations The gang at Wikibon have done a deep dive of VMware integration with the ecosystem – but not...
- Cloudera/Isilon Hadoop Starter Kit 3.0 is out! (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/10/clouderaisilon-hadoop-starter-kit-30-is-out.html)I saw from a great colleague (vSpecialist Ed Walsh in the EMC Office of the CTO) that the latest Hadoop Starter Kit 3.0 has been released (a great HOWTO for using Cloudera, the vSphere Big Data Extensions, and Isilon together)....
- Learning NSX, Part 16: Routing to Multiple External VLANs (http://blog.scottlowe.org/?p=3544)Part 16 of the Learning NSX series tackles how to configure NSX with OpenStack Neutron to support routing to multiple external networks (VLANs). This article was originally posted on blog.scottlowe.org . Visit the site for more information on virtualization, servers, storage, and other enterprise technologies. Learning NSX, Part 16: Routing to Multiple External VLANs
- Nutanix and vCloud Automation Center (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=7811)My colleague Magnus Andresson (VCDX-56 and Double VCDX DCV/Cloud) has put together some short videos showing some example solutions with Nutanix and vCloud Automation Center working together. vCloud Automation Center has recently been renamed vRealize Automation also known as vRA (vee Raa! – intentionally not used in the title). I hope you enjoy these videos […]
- How Nutanix Works – Simple Educational Videos from @NutanixEDU (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=7802)It’s not just the core platform and engineering team coming up with some great stuff at Nutanix. Our Education team is also always pushing the boundaries. They’ve recently published some great videos that explain how certain aspects of the Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform work. This article includes the videos, which cover four key areas – […]
- Additional capabilities to manage Transparent Page Sharing (http://www.vmguru.com/?p=14703)Transparent Page Sharing (TPS) is the ability for virtual machines to share identical memory pages. This allows hosts to most efficiently use memory, particularly when those hosts have many almost identical virtual machines running on them. The net benefit is better memory usage, potentially leading to greater consolidation ratios. TPS is one of the memory management techniques which has given VMware an advantage over the competition for years. Today VMware introduced additional capabilities to manage…
- VMworld Europe 2014 Day 3 Highlights (http://www.vmguru.com/?p=14672) Today was the last day of VMworld. Time to look back at the VMworld highlights of day 3, wrap up and see you next year. Espero verte en Barcelona! The post VMworld Europe 2014 Day 3 Highlights appeared first on VMGuru .
- VMware EVO:Rail – Datacenter deployment EVOlution style and what you should know about it (http://www.vmguru.com/?p=14646) At VMworld 2014 US VMware’s EVO:Rail was introduced. EVO:Rail is the next step in converged infrastructures, it’s the world’s first hyperconverged infrastructure appliance, fully run on VMware. A number of hardware vendors are on board with EVO:Rail. Dell, Fujitsu and Supermicro are on board. Recently, at VMworld 2014 Europe, HP stepped up to the plate as well. It will be a single SKU, one single product that will include all hardware, software and licenses you need to deploy and run a software…
- VMworld Europe 2014 Day 2 Highlights (http://www.vmguru.com/?p=14626) My second day started with attending the general session. This session mostly focused on some use cases told by SAP and Vodafone. Also demos that give a somewhat more in-dept view of the products that where announced on day 1 where shown. I think the demos give a nice impression on the products, but they weren’t really new, most of it was already shown at VMworld USA. They also told us that the vSphere beta contains two new features: Fault Tolerance for Scale-up applications up to 4 [ … ] The…
- Diablo Memory Channel Storage: The new Flash storage standard? (http://www.vmguru.com/?p=14515) During VMworld we had the opportunity to sit down with Ricky Trigalo en Kevin Wagner from Diablo technologies to talk about their storage solution called “Memory Channel Storage” (MCS). Basically this means that you insert NAND flash memory into a memory bank instead of your standard memory DIMM’s. Is this the way of the future or the way of the dodo? Diablo Technologies is a long standing company that is specialized in developing high speed memory systems. A little over 3 years ago they…
- HP announced as EVO:RAIL partner (http://www.vmguru.com/?p=14588) Today I visited the HP booth for more information on EVO:RAIL, since they were announced as EVO:RAIL partner during the General Session on Monday. HP now is one of the partners that deliver a complete solution. Other EVO:RAIL partners are Dell, EMC, Fujitsu, Hitachi Data Systems, SuperMicro and for China APJ InSpur and NetOne. Unfortunately my experience was somewhat disappointing. Although HP had a solution it didn’t feel like they had much interest in it. It was not easy to find someone that was…
- Introduction of vRealize Operations 6.0 (http://www.vmguru.com/?p=14688) At VMworld Europe 2014 VMware announced a completely new version of the product we all know as vCOPS. The new version goes by its new name vRealize Operations 6.0. This is not simply a slightly improved minor release it’s a complete rebuild of vCOPS as we know it. It is now based on a scale-out architecture, so you place new vRealize Operations nodes as you grow, instead of the scale-up architecture of the original product. vRealize Operations 6.0 features a completely re-platformed architecture…
- vRealize Log Insight 2.5 available soon (http://www.vmguru.com/?p=14679) VMware announced version 2.5 of their log management product vRealize Log Insight. Formerly VMware vCenter Log Insight, vRealize Log Insight provides real-time log management across physical, virtual and cloud environments. The new release offers better integration with vRealize Operations and analyzes both structured and unstructured data for end-to-end operations management. There are more than 20 Log Insight content packs are available on VMware Solution Exchange, supporting leading IT providers…
- What’s new in vRealize Automation 6.2 (http://www.vmguru.com/?p=14675) VMware vRealize Automation 6.2 is the latest version of VMware’s cloud automation solution, formerly known as vCloud Automation Center, and now part of the new vRealize suite. It is not just a rename, it includes some interesting improvements and enhancements. vRealize Automation 6.2 provides infrastructure and application service delivery with a self-service portal and policy-based governance. The latest release offers greater vRealize Operations integration and can now display service health…
- VMworld Europe 2014 General Session Live (day 2) (http://www.vmguru.com/?p=14528) In the general session today VMware customers will share their real-world success in a session with President Carl Eschenbach, transforming their businesses with software-defined architectures and solutions. VMware’s CTO Ben Fathi and other VMware technology evangelists will show just how today’s software-defined architectures can be deployed to transform your business. You’ll see innovative uses of VMware technologies across a wide range of use cases – from the data center (from Raghu…
- All Nutanix 4.1 Features Overview in One Page (Beyond Marketing) (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=6685)Nutanix announced recently NOS 4.1. This release is mostly focused on enhancements for the areas of resiliency, security, disaster recovery, analytics, supportability and management. However, even being a ‘dot’ release, NOS 4.1 delivers very important features, and in my option this version has enough meat to actually even be considered a major release. It’s been only … Continue reading »
- How to Size Nutanix Capacity… the Unofficial Calculator! (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=6679)
A frequent question I get is related to Nutanix capacity sizing. Sizing Nutanix is not complicated and Steven Poitras did an excellent job explaining the process at The Nutanix Bible (here). However, as the Nutanix cluster grows overtime and different HDD/SSD capacities are introduced, the calculation starts to get a little bit trickier; specially when … Continue reading »
- CloudVolumes, Just-in-Times-Desktops and Some Secret Sauce in Between (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=37080)I went to see Garry Owen during VMworld Barcelona 2014. Garry who is a EMEA Senior Product Marketing Manager, based at Frimley, to ask him about the latest and hottest VMware technology in the End User Computing (EUC). We were talking about CloudVolumes, Just-in-Times-Desktops, forking and some secred sauce in between all this. He showed me [...] Read the full post CloudVolumes, Just-in-Times-Desktops and Some Secret Sauce in Between at ESX Virtualization .
- Atlantis USX – A truly Software Hyper Converged Solution (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=37057)Atlantis Computing continues impress me with their solution which is currently unique in the industry as you can use your own hardware to create your own hyper converged solution. What Atlantis USX needs is to use your server’s local disk resources (or shared storage) to create an acceleration layer composed of Memory, SSD and HDD. [...] Read the full post Atlantis USX – A truly Software Hyper Converged Solution at ESX Virtualization .
- Nutanix Software on Dell PowerEdge Servers And Future Roadmap (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=37053)Hyperconverged Infrastructures are the way to go. Nutanix was one of the first players in this field. First by specializing by providing this hyper-converged platform for VDI workloads, few years back. But if VDI is a good use case for Nutanix, it was just a matter of time to realize that what’s very good at [...] Read the full post Nutanix Software on Dell PowerEdge Servers And Future Roadmap at ESX Virtualization .
- VMworld 2014 Community, Friends and Party (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=37032)Every year I come to VMworld I meet old friends and make new ones. Additionally it’s a pleasure too to get thumbs up for the good woork I’m doing on my blog. What a great place to meet new people and new friends. With 9000 attendees this year, VMworld Barcelona 2014 is great success. As [...] Read the full post VMworld 2014 Community, Friends and Party at ESX Virtualization .
- VMTurbo 4.7 Details and Features (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=37047)VMturbo is present during VMworld Barcelona 2014 and presenting their flagship software VMturbo Operations Manager which grows up with every release. The latest release is major upgrade of their software where the base idea behind is still the same – keep the infrastructure running in desired state. Quote: VMTurbo teaches your VMs and other data [...] Read the full post VMTurbo 4.7 Details and Features at ESX Virtualization .
- Veeam Availability Suite 8 and Veeam Endpoint Backup – Further Details (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=37020)This is an interview from VMworld 2014 with Rick Vanover from Veeam Software. I have asked a couple of questions concerning upcoming Veeam availability suite 8 (which and also some further details about Veeam Endpoint backup product. The upcoming Veeam availability suite will feature vloud connector which will allow to backup into the cloud. Any cloud. [...] Read the full post Veeam Availability Suite 8 and Veeam Endpoint Backup – Further Details at ESX Virtualization .
- vRealize Code Stream – upcoming product for continuous delivery of software products (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36914)vRealize Code Stream is new product that has been announced by VMware here in Barcelona. The product allows shorter release cycles and more agile development processes. In fact it streamline and automate the software delivery process with visibility across the entire release process. What to retain from the announces is also vRealize Operations Management Suite [...] Read the full post vRealize Code Stream – upcoming product for continuous delivery of software products at ESX Virtualization .
- vRealize Automation Center 6.2 (Previously VCAC) Announced (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36895)VMware has announced vRealize Automation Center 6.2 (vRAC). A product previously named vCloud automation center, but with the name changing scheme recently introduced – vRealize – the product’s name has also changed into vRealize automation Center. In Q3 2014 a vCloud Automation Center 6.1 introduced new consumer API with multiple interfaces as well as enhanced [...] Read the full post vRealize Automation Center 6.2 (Previously VCAC) Announced at ESX Virtualization .
- vRealize Operations Management Packs – Deeper information on Every Part of The Infrastructure (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36866)vRealize Operations Management Suite 6.0 that has been detailed in the previous post, allows adding on the top of that, management packs. Those vRealize Operations Management Packs are add-ons which works similar way as the management packs for Log Insight, and are built by VMware and also by VMware partners. Bu implementing management packs for storage devices [...] Read the full post vRealize Operations Management Packs – Deeper information on Every Part of The Infrastructure at ESX Virtualization .…
- vRealize Operation Management Suite 6.0 Announced (vROPS) (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36845)vRealize Operation Management 6.0 announced today pushes a step further the integration with vSphere. The product is completely integrated into vSphere web client (single UI with access to all object types) and not as a separate management product. vRealize Air announced in San Francisco was just a preparation on what’s really coming in Q4 and [...] Read the full post vRealize Operation Management Suite 6.0 Announced (vROPS) at ESX Virtualization .
- ICND1 (CCENT) Study Guide (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=5003)So, this has been quite a journey for me. If any of you are like me, you’ve avoided anything related to Networking, & especially Networking certifications like the plague. At work, if any issue networking related surfaced, I gladly pawned it off to the “networking guy”. With the boundaries between layers of the infrastructure stack […]
- VMworld Barcelona Underway! (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4980)VMware’s annual VMworld EMEA event is underway in Barcelona and the energy is amazing. Sessions are packed, the hang space is flowing with continuous traffic and chance meetings, and the vBrownBag crew is on-site producing more great content. VMware provided a great setup that has made it comfortable for the attendees, the presenters, and both […]
- #vBrownBag DevOps Follow-Up Git with Matthew Brender (@mjbrender) (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4976)Matthew Brender joins us for part 3 of the ProfessionalVMware.com DevOps series to talk about Git/GitHub and source code management. Video Homework You can follow Matthew on Twitter @mjbrender and his blog http://mjbrender.com/ and http://neckbeardinfluence.com/ Originally published at http://ProfessionalVMware.com – Sign up for the live #vBrownBag broadcast at http://professionalvmware.com/brownbags/ where you can also get updates […]
- It is All About Resource Abstraction #VMworld (tag:blogger.com,1999:blog-5819640694385843490.post-6185648261220523080)
I am here sitting here at the blogger table on Day-0 (Partner Day) of VMworld in Barcelona, and it is time to close some technical debt (well not really technical but it would be better to call it blogging debt). If there is one thing that VMware... This is a content summary only. Please visit my website for the full article, other content, and more...
While I do my best to publish unbiased information specifically related to VMware solutions there is always the possibility of blog posts that are unrelated, competitive or potentially conflicting that may creep into the newsletter. I apologise for this in advance if I offend anyone and do my best to ensure this does not happen. Please get in touch if you feel any inappropriate material has been published. All information in this newsletter is copyright of the original author. If you are an author and wish to no longer be used in this newsletter please get in touch.