Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=84638d120599c4461b514e1a0&id=7bb4919603&e=[UNIQID]
From the editors virtual desk
Hi everyone, well as the titles says this is my last VMware newsletter that I will be producing from my current hometown of Brisbane, Australia. I have lived in this beautiful city for the past 8+ years and it has been really amazing. I am now heading off to the USA to live and work in San Francisco. I am incredibly excited to have this opportunity given to me by my fantastic employer, VMware. The newsletter will continue as usual, there will be no major interruptions except possibly while I get myself setup when I arrive in my new City.
I want to thank all of my customers and colleagues for all of their support over the past 5 and a half years at VMware in Brisbane. It has been an outstanding time for me personally and I have enjoyed working with each of you.
I hope that you will choose to continue to receive the newsletter from San Francisco. Of course you are always able to unsubscribe by using the personal link at the end of each edition, but I really hope you will stay as a subscriber, and I promise to continue to bring you the latest VMware news direct from San Francisco each week.
My latest blog posting for those that have been following is titled "Why do we still build Virtual Machines like their Physical Counterparts” and can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/on2kdj5
Take care everyone, have a fantastic and productive week and I look forward to chatting to you again next week from my new home in San Francisco.
Staff Technical Account Manager
nisserow @ vmware . com
- Top 20 Articles for August 2014 (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6254)Here is our Top 20 KB list for August 2014. This list is ranked by the number of times a VMware Support Request was resolved by following the steps in a published Knowledge Base article. 1. VMware ESXi 5.x host experiences a purple diagnostic screen mentioning E1000PollRxRing and E1000DevRx (2059053) 2. Installing async drivers on […]
- Weekly News Recap, Sept. 5, 2014 (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=2993)The Weekly News Recap has returned! We took a short break during VMworld US, but we’re back with the latest VMware and industry updates. You may have noticed that we’ve changed the name of the VMware Company Blog – to Tribal Knowledge! Read more about Tribal Knowledge and the team here and be sure to […]
- VMware continues EUC momentum at AirWatch Connect (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=2981)On the heels of a successful VMworld, VMware’s EUC division is keeping the momentum going with an enterprise mobility conference beginning next Monday. AirWatch Connect Atlanta brings together the brightest minds in mobility, Sept. 8–11 for four days of education, product updates, networking and more. Follow along on the AirWatch Blog for the latest EUC […]
- VMware’s Office of the CTO Announces Third Annual Fling Contest (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=2975)Grab your thinking cap and get those creative juices flowing, because VMware’s Third Annual Fling Contest has just kicked off! This annual tradition has been running (with some name changes along the way) for two years now, and we are excited to bring it back for 2014. Flings are free apps and tools that are […]
- VMware’s Call to IT Professionals: Be Brave (http://blogs.vmware.com/cloudops/?p=1127)At VMworld last week, VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger laid it out: IT is no place for the timid. In a world where business has become not only lightning fast, but also increasingly fluid, he said, “…the biggest risk is perpetuating the status quo.” Success depends on willingness to move fast, be decisive, and take calculated […]
- VMware Feature Walkthrough: Step-by-Step VMware How-to’s (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13768)If you are like me, VMworld 2014 in San Francisco left my brain on overload. With so many new product and services announcements, plus breakout sessions filled with technical information and demos in the expo floor booths, it’s hard not to feel like you are drinking from the proverbial fire hose. Throw in a party […]
- VMware Virtual SAN Network Design Guide (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13783)Virtual SAN is a scale-out hypervisor-converged software-defined storage solution that can scale up to 32 nodes in a cluster. The network serves as the backbone of a Virtual SAN cluster by providing the interconnects between nodes via an Ethernet network topology. There are many design options when creating a vSphere network design that includes VMware […]
- VMware Hands-on Labs VMworld 2014 US online (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13760)VMware Hands-on Labs at VMworld 2014 US marked a number of firsts: Over 10,000 labs were taken Over 100,000 VMs were used for labs during the week VSAN and EVO:RACK were used to host a portion of the infrastructure vCloud Air and Horizon 6 were in the top 5 labs I am pleased to announce […]
- Virtual SAN 5.5 Validation Guide (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13737)Enabling Virtual SAN, if the environment is configured and ready, is an easy click of the mouse. If the environment is not ready however, the task of troubleshooting a new product, can easily become quite daunting. As we track the issues that have arisen during Virtual SAN deployments, we see that the majority of issues […]
- VMware Virtual SAN: Performance with Microsoft SQL Server (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13731)As we continue to showcase the value and capabilities of Virtual SAN, I believe it is crucial to provide access to the information VMware’s performance engineering team has gathered around business critical applications and their respective performance benchmarks. This new white paper focuses on Microsoft SQL Server workload performance on VMware Virtual SAN. The study was […]
- VCDX / vExpert Party Celebrates Programs, Honors Award Winners (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4642)It was the beginning of a new certification era and the end of an old one at the annual VMworld VCDX / vExpert party last week. Pat Gelsinger presented John Arrasjid, VCDX 001 with the John Newman Award, and Ray Budavari with the first ever VCIX-NV certification. Ray paved the way for recognition in installing, […]
- Upcoming Webinar on VMware vCloud Automation Center (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4662)When properly understood, the vCloud Automation Center moves the task of delivering personalized IT services from a manual process to an automatic one. In our webinar on September 10th at 9am PDT, VCI and Senior Technical Instructor Jerry Davis will instruct participants on mastering: The use case for the vCloud Automation Center architecture within today’s […]
- Save 50% on Two BETA Training Classes in the USA (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4632)We are offering two special beta delivery classes in the coming weeks. VMware offers BETA courses to anyone wanting to participate in finalizing the near complete course. You save 50% off the course price and get the same valuable VMware training. VMware NSX for Internetworking Experts Fast Track [V6.0] Reston, VA, USA 22-26 September This […]
- Using Differentiated Services to Tame Elephants (http://blogs.vmware.com/networkvirtualization/?p=1507)This post was co-authored by Justin Pettit, Staff Engineer, Networking & Security Business Unit at VMware, and Ravi Shekhar, Distinguished Engineer, S3BU at Juniper Networks. ******************** As discussed in other blog posts and presentations, long-lived, high-bandwidth flows (elephants) can negatively affect short-lived flows (mice). Elephant flows send more data, which can lead to queuing delays for latency-sensitive mice. VMware […]
- Running Microsoft SharePoint FAST Search on vSphere (http://blogs.vmware.com/consulting/?p=1542)By Girish Manmadkar I recently worked with an enterprise customer to resolve end user reports of performance issues related to Microsoft SharePoint 2010 and FAST Search deployed on vSphere 5.1. The end users were reporting problems with initial page response and file upload and download. The customer requested architecture guidance, including a performance health check […]
- Calling all DevOps, resources are here for integrations (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4549)VMware provides a rich set of APIs and extensibility surfaces through which developers, devops engineers can rapidly develop cloud management solutions that integrate seamlessly with the latest VMware technologies for cloud automation and cloud operations. VMware Developer Center’s new Cloud Management and Automation zone gives you a single starting point for accessing the information and […]
- There’s More to SaaS Than Meets the Eye (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4229)This is a guest post from iland, a member of the vCloud Air Network. SaaS companies are really hot. Everyone is offering everything as a service – from applications to IT management itself, and everything in between. While we love to talk about the model in terms of Salesforce.com’s success, the growth of ServiceNow, or […]
- The Case for SAP Central Services and VMware Fault Tolerance (http://blogs.vmware.com/apps/?p=1020)What’s the CPU Utilization Of Standalone SAP Central Services in a Virtual Machine? Since VMware came out with VMware Fault Tolerance (FT) we have considered the deployment option of installing SAP Central Services in a 1 x vCPU virtual machine protected by VMware FT. FT creates a live shadow instance of a virtual machine that […]
- Options for Application Delivery in VMware Horizon 6 (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6362)By Cindy Heyer, Technical Writer, Technical Marketing, End-User Computing at VMware When it comes to application delivery, VMware Horizon 6.0 has something for everyone. VMware just published Application-Delivery Options in VMware Horizon 6.0, a white paper that describes the unique combination of application-delivery options supported in VMware Horizon 6.0. Today’s workforce is extremely fluid. Employees […]
- Finalists announced for AirWatch Enterprise Mobility Excellence Awards (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31637)Drumroll please… The following organizations have been named finalists for the AirWatch Enterprise Mobility Excellence Awards in North America. Operational Excellence (ROI) Awards, Non-profit/Education Coachella Valley Unified School District Indiana University of Pennsylvania Saint Francis High School Operational Excellence (ROI) Awards, Business Athenahealth Monsanto Ontario Tire Stewardship Mobile Innovation Award, Customers News America Marketing QuickPass (a division […]
- Enterprise mobility news recap: Sept. 1 – 5 (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31625)Mobile technology is changing by the minute; sometimes you just can’t catch it all. Here’s what you might have missed this week: AirWatch Connect is next week! Find out all you need to know before the leading event in enterprise mobility at http://air-watch.com/connect/. Virtual reality is making strides. Oculus Rift has teamed up with Samsung […]
- Dolce Hotels: Modernizing through mobility (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31460)Guests staying at any of the 24 Dolce Hotels and Resorts will notice a common theme: quality. The characteristic is ingrained into each location and every aspect of operation. Even those behind the scenes are committed to quality. For VP of IT John Edwards, quality is defined by innovation through technology. The IT staff at […]
- New VMware | HP Video Highlighting Strategy for an Open SDDC (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1323)This new, 3-minute video, describes the VMware | HP strategy, co-development activities, and joint go-to-market plans for VMware vCenter and HP OneView integration. The collaboration will enable your customers to take their SDDC to the next level, by abstracting compute, storage, and networking and managing it all from a single console.
- EMC Forum… 39 Cities Left to Redefine (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1321)We are the diamond sponsor of the EMC Forum 2014 road show. Bring your customers to your city to learn more about the joint VMware | EMC value propositions.
- VMware Fusion 7 Pro Now Available (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1319)Fusion 7 Pro is now available to sell or upgrade. This product lets advanced users and developers run Windows on Macs and opens the door to Macs in business. It also connects to and runs VMs hosted on vSphere.
- Just 2 Months Left to Comply with New Competency Requirements (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1317)Solution Provider and Service Provider program changes – requiring 2 individuals trained in Solution Competency-specific VSP and VTSP accreditations – are now in effect and these new requirements must be met by November 3, 2014. Get started with the online Solution Competency training now.
- EUC Series: Trend to Watch and Ways VMware Partners are Changing IT History (http://blogs.vmware.com/partner/?p=2143)Sixty to seventy years ago it was the mainframe. Twenty to thirty years ago: client-server. In present day, mobile and cloud are the hot topics in every IT department. In fact, mobile and cloud are growing four times faster than the rest of the IT sector, according to a report from Gartner. With more and […]
- Learn How to Make the Most Important Data Center Decisions at VMware SMB September Webcasts (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=3008)This September, join VMware for our free, upcoming live and on-demand webcasts to learn how to make important IT decisions for your SMB. Learn how to deliver the best IT performance with the least manual effort during our virtual infrastructure webcast. Discover why VMware Virtual SAN is the industry leader in hyper-converged, software-defined storage for […]
- Three Keys to Fast, Affordable IT in an Always-On World (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=3004)In today’s data centers, three trends drive the need for new approaches to the management of IT systems: the expectation for always-on IT services, rapidly growing infrastructure, and limited IT budgets. While any one of these trends creates challenges for your IT team, the combination of them makes it clear that the status quo is […]
- Re: Re: The Rack Endgame: A New Storage Architecture For the Data Center (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15368)I was reading Frank Denneman’s article with regards to new datacenter architectures. This in its turn was a response to Stephen Fosket’s article about how the physical architecture of datacenter hardware should change. I recommend reading both articles as that will give a bit more background, plus they are excellent reads by itself. (gotta love […] " Re: Re: The Rack Endgame: A New Storage Architecture For the Data Center " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter -…
- VMware EVO:RAIL demo (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15359)I just wanted to share the VMware EVO:RAIL demo with my readers. I shared it on twitter / linkedin but figured it made sense as well to have it here. The demo shows both the configuration and the management interface. Note that it takes less than 15 minutes normally to complete the configuration, but of […] " VMware EVO:RAIL demo " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via Pearson today!
- VMware EVO:RAIL FAQ (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15332)Over the last couple of days the same VMware EVO:RAIL questions keep popping up over and over again. I figured I would do a quick VMware EVO:RAIL Q&A post so that I can point people to that instead of constantly answering them on twitter. Can you explain what EVO:RAIL is? EVO:RAIL is the next evolution […] " VMware EVO:RAIL FAQ " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via Pearson today!
- VMware / ecosystem / industry news flash… part 2 (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15268)There we go, part two of the VMware / ecosystem / industry news flash. I expected a lot of news around VMworld as traditionally is always the case. I hope the below is a good summary, these are the articles / announcements I read and found interesting. It is the Monday after VMworld and I […] " VMware / ecosystem / industry news flash… part 2 " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via Pearson today!
- Liking the VMware EVO:RAIL look? How about a desktop / phone wallpaper? (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15254)Dave Shanley (lead engineer for VMware EVO:RAIL) dropped me an email with an awesome looking wallpaper for desktops and smart phones. I asked him if I could share with the world and I guess it is needless to say what the answer was. Grab ‘em below while they are still hot :). Thanks Dave! Note, […] " Liking the VMware EVO:RAIL look? How about a desktop / phone wallpaper? " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual…
- Infinio now supports block storage (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=4895)While at VMworld I had the opportunity to meet the folks from Infinio and have dinner with them. One of their big announcements at VMworld was around something that I had always thought was really holding them back from growing their business. Their original Infinio Accelerator 1.0 product which was released last year only supported … Continue reading »
- Introducing vSphere-land 2.0! (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=4884)I’ve been wanting to upgrade both my WordPress version and theme for a long time now but have been hesitant because I have a lot of plug-ins, custom css and theme hacking that I’ve done and I didn’t want to break anything. Well this weekend GoDaddy gave me a reason to. I’ve hosted my sites … Continue reading »
- Commodity off the Shelf… Cheaper? (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/09/commodity-of-the-shelf-cheaper.html)It’s an interesting thing that I’ve been seeing more and more – customers looking to leverage commodity off the shelf hardware and opensource software stacks. Personally, I LOVE this idea. I think that “Software Defined” means that whenever you CAN...
- Technology Short Take #44 (http://blog.scottlowe.org/?p=3509)This is Technology Short Take #44, the latest in my irregularly-published series of content links and thoughts on various data center-related technologies. This article was originally posted on blog.scottlowe.org . Visit the site for more information on virtualization, servers, storage, and other enterprise technologies. Technology Short Take #44
- VMworld 2014 Orchestration, Automation & Optimization Panel (http://www.virtu-al.net/?p=3221)One of the highlights for VMworld 2014 in San Francisco this year for me was on the first day, I was asked by the vBrownbag team to sit on the “Opening Acts 2014 Orchestration,... VMworld 2014 Orchestration, Automation & Optimization Panel is a post from: Virtu-Al . Virtu-Al is one of the authors of VMware vSphere PowerCLI Reference: Automating vSphere Administration" Buy it now from: Amazon USA Amazon UK Sybex
- WebCommander goes Open Source (http://www.virtu-al.net/?p=3212)You may have heard me talk about Webcommander before at VMworld or during a vBrownbag, if you haven’t and you don’t know about this project then you have been missing out! WebCommander was designed... WebCommander goes Open Source is a post from: Virtu-Al . Virtu-Al is one of the authors of VMware vSphere PowerCLI Reference: Automating vSphere Administration" Buy it now from: Amazon USA Amazon UK Sybex
- EMC – RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines (http://www.penguinpunk.net/blog/?p=2242)EMC announced RecoverPoint for VMs last week, and I thought I’d do a quick summary post / highlights for those who missed it. Firstly, an overview from EMC can be found here. You can get the datasheet here. And you can watch an overview video of the features here. Audience Secondly, it’s important to understand […]
- VMware – EVO:RAIL – Link-o-rama (http://www.penguinpunk.net/blog/?p=2238)The past week is a bit of a blur. While I re-adjust to GMT +10, I thought I’d put out a quick post with links to various useful resources on VMware’s EVO:RAIL. Firstly, here’s some from VMware that provide a nice overview of the product. EVO:RAIL Datasheet Introductory Whitepaper Duncan has a typically comprehensive post on […]
- VMware Fling – View Auditing Portal (http://www.vmguru.nl/?p=13600)Today VMware Labs released a new fling, the View Auditing Portal which is a new web portal that serves as an extension to Horizon View Administrator. View Auditing Portal features: Show parent virtual machines of linked clone desktop pools and descendant snapshots in a tree view. The snapshots not in use by linked clone pools are marked in grey, so that View administrator can remove the snapshots not in use. Show statistics for operation systems and versions of View clients in different types of view…
- VMware Fusion 7 released (http://www.vmguru.nl/?p=13583)Just moments ago VMware has released VMware Fusion 7, their personal desktop virtualization software for the Mac. VMware Fusion 7 is optimized for the latest Macs and ready for OS X Yosemite and Windows 8.1. Designed for OSX Yosemite With Fusion 7 you will be able to get a Mac-like experience when running Windows applications on a Mac. The Fusion 7 updated Yosemite look and feel makes working with your Windows applications feel cleaner and more refined. Adopting Yosemite’s key design cues such as…
- Who runs Horizon 6 more efficiently? Nutanix or VSAN? (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=6586)One great aspect of working for a cutting edge storage vendor such as Nutanix is that for all of the competitive sniping in the marketplace, the technology really does speak for itself. A question that was asked of me recently by an individual new to SDS had me thinking about the traits that make solutions … Continue reading »
- Secure Content Sharing And Messaging with End to End Security – Places from Reunion Island (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36513)I was quite surprised by discovering this new startup from Reunion Island – an Island where I live, trying to solve quite painful problem these days – privacy and security for individuals. What if the way to go to the personal security and privacy lead through our own protection, without letting the others spy at our data [...] Read the full post Secure Content Sharing And Messaging with End to End Security – Places from Reunion Island at ESX Virtualization .
- VMware Virtual SAN 5.5 Validation Guide (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36500)This guide helps to do a check of VSAN requirements before and after deployment. VMware engineers used this document internally first in order to validate the VSAN requirements before hitting the “enable VSAN” checkbox. It allows some head scratching on “why am I getting this error?”. If you go through and successfully validate all the [...] Read the full post VMware Virtual SAN 5.5 Validation Guide at ESX Virtualization .
- VMware Fusion 7 and Fusion 7 Pro released – ready for Yosemite (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36493)New version of VMware Fusion 7 and Fusion 7 Pro version has been released yesterday bringing more efficiency (up to 46% compared to Fusion 6), more performance and more features. Fusion Pro version can run a greater range of operating systems (over 200) and has a supports for iSight cameras in VMs. It can also connect [...] Read the full post VMware Fusion 7 and Fusion 7 Pro released – ready for Yosemite at ESX Virtualization .
- Free Tool for Nested ESXi Labs – ESXi Mac Learning dvFilter (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36477)There is a free utility called ESXi MAC learning dvFilter released by VMware Labs last week. This utility is provided as a VIB and installs on the physical ESXi host, not on the virtual ESXi hosts. I learned about it by reading posts from William Lam and Andreas Peetz. ESXi Mac Learning dvFilter is kind of [...] Read the full post Free Tool for Nested ESXi Labs – ESXi Mac Learning dvFilter at ESX Virtualization .
- Backup and Restore ESXi Configuration with PowerCLI (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36430)In some situations you might need to backup or restore configuration of your ESXi host. This can be done with several tools with GUI front end or you can use tools diretly built-in ESXi and vSphere. And that’s what we will explore today. There might be a situation where the only choice is what you already have [...] Read the full post Backup and Restore ESXi Configuration with PowerCLI at ESX Virtualization .
- EVO: RAIL Demo Video – VMware Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36463)Before VMworld I have assisted to VMware EVO: RAIL presentation. VMware Hyper-Converged infrastructure presentation video wasn’t available to the public until today, when Duncan Epping has published the video done by Dave Shanley. So here is EVO: RAIL Demo Video. VMware EVO:RAIL has been demoed during VMworld and I have also published a details, together with [...] Read the full post EVO: RAIL Demo Video – VMware Hyper-Converged Infrastructure at ESX Virtualization .
- New #vBrownBag OpenStack series – help us shape it! (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4819)Hey #vBrownBag listeners and readers. Eric Wright is working to launch a new OpenStack series and we wanted to get your input so we shape an interesting, useful series. If you have a minute, can you fill out the form below please to help us get an idea of what you would like to see […]
- #vBrownBag TechTalks at VMworld EMEA (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4817)Now that the dust has settled from VMworld USA you can check out all the great TechTalk videos, either as the YouTube Playlist here or on the schedule page each session is now a link to it’s video. By the way the Opening Acts videos are in this playlist. Naturally we are going to make […]
- #vBrownBag Follow-Up Virtualizing Microsoft SQL w David Klee (@kleegeek) (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4814)David Klee talks about best practices and considerations for virtualizing Microsoft SQL. Video You can follow David on Twitter @kleegeek and his blog http://www.davidklee.net/ Originally published at http://ProfessionalVMware.com – Sign up for the live #vBrownBag broadcast at http://professionalvmware.com/brownbags/ where you can also get updates and view our past series such as the Automate All The […]20+ VMworld Sessions available on YouTube (http://kendrickcoleman.com/index.php/Tech-Blog/20-vmworld-sessions-available-on-youtube.html)I'm sure many people have seen this but for those of you who didn't make it to VMworld (me included), there are 23 (as of right now) VMworld videos available on YouTube. Thanks to Eric Sloof for getting these uploaded. Check out the VMworld 2014 Keynotes & Sessions Playlist