From the editors virtual desk
Hi everyone, well I had a really great week even though it was slightly interrupted by a local public holiday on Wednesday which I had completely forgotten about. It was a bit of a surprise as I had been booking meetings and wondering why I wasn't getting any accepts.
I had a really good conversation and organised a technical session for one of my customers on vSphere Networking, specifically geared towards the latest features and functionality of the Distributed Switch as well as our NSX network virtualisation solution. I found the session really informative and a good reminder of how the basics need to always be revisited to ensure we are getting optimal use of our solutions.
I have continued to discuss this on my LinkedIn blog at http://tinyurl.com/pjduwtm.
VMworld is just 1 week away and it is getting really exciting. I know a number of colleagues and customers who will be traveling over for the event and I must admit I would love to be going this year with all of the awesome announcements that will be made. It is such an awesome conference and if you are going then you will be in for such a treat.
I hope you have a great week and look forward to chatting to you all again next week. Please feel free to get in touch with me anytime.
Senior Technical Account Manager
nisserow @ vmware . com
Women of Purpose at VMworld - http://www.vmworld.com/blogs/vmworld/2014/08/15/women-of-purpose-at-vmworld
Women of Purpose is a community that promotes, elevates and connects women within VMware, customers, partners and employees. We were founded in 2010 and are thrilled to host our 5th annual Women of Purpose at VMworld 2014.
Local Training Classes
VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.5] Various
VMware vCloud Automation Center: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.0] 15-19 Sept
VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V5.5] 29-03 Oct
- ALERT: Storage Controllers for Virtual SAN that are no longer supported (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6243)As part of VMware’s ongoing testing and certification efforts on Virtual SAN compatible hardware, VMware has decided to remove some controllers from the Virtual SAN compatibility list. While fully functional, these controllers offer IO throughput that is too low to sustain the performance requirements of most VMware environments. For more information, see KB article: Storage […]
- VMware Certified Instructor of the Quarter Award for EMEA Region Announced (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4547)The EMEA VMware Certified Instructor (VCI) of the quarter award is a regular prize given to those VCIs that aspire to be the best of the best. The awards are our version of the “Oscars,” identifying and rewarding excellence. The award recognises outstanding VMware Certified Instructors from the EMEA region who share their expertise about […]
- New Course: vCenter Configuration Manager: Install, Configure, Manage (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4549)We’ve released a new course, vCenter Configuration Manager: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.7], that focuses on installing, configuring, and managing VMware vCenter Configuration Manager™ 5.7. This hands-on course for Virtual infrastructure administrators and managers provides you with the knowledge and skills to install and configure vCenter Configuration Manager, navigate the user interface, manage compliance, and perform administrative and configuration […]
- Keeping Skills Current by Recertifying (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4510) “I was surprised how much things had changed, much more than I thought they would between two versions,” Byron Schaller notes of the VCP exam he took last year. (He was certified as a VCP3 years ago and recently got recertified and moved up to VCP5-DCV.) “I was kind of shocked by how much […]
- Get your hands on VMware NSX with this new course (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4539)Our new course, VMware NSX Technical Overview with Labs [V6.0] introduces you to VMware NSX™ and gives you a solid understanding of the fundamentals of NSX and network virtualization. After completing these six technical eLearning modules combined with hands-on lab activities, you will be able to: Explain and understand core NSX features Understand the following NSX […]
- New Course Available: Horizon (with View): Install, Configure, Manage [V6.0] (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4531)A new course based on the Horizon 6 release is now available: Horizon (with View): Install, Configure, Manage [V6.0]. This hands-on training course builds your skills in installing, configuring, and managing the Horizon View component of VMware Horizon. Designed for system administrators and system integrators responsible for deploying the VMware virtual desktop infrastructure, this course will […]
- VMworld 2014 Guide for TAM Services Customers (http://blogs.vmware.com/tam/?p=1766)VMworld 2014 in San Francisco is just around the corner and we here in TAM Services want to ensure that you are empowered for the best possible experience through the entire conference and all of the week’s events. So without further adom we present you with the our “VMworld 2014 - A Guide for TAM […]
- VMware Inspired by Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing (http://blogs.vmware.com/vmware/?p=2729)By Betsy Sutter, Corporate Senior Vice President, People at VMware This year, VMware is proud to be a part of the 2014 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing conference on October 8-10 in Phoenix, Arizona. Presented by the Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology and the Association for Computing Machinery, the conference is the largest […]
- VMware Continues to Strengthen End User Computing Leadership Team – Noah Wasmer Returns to VMware (http://blogs.vmware.com/vmware/?p=2722)
By Sanjay Poonen, Executive Vice President and General Manager, End-User Computing This week is my one year anniversary of being at VMware! What an exciting year it’s been hereat the company, as we are hard at work turbo-charging our End-User Computing (EUC) strategy. I’ve enjoyed working with some of the most innovative and customer focused colleagues here at […]
- How to Drive Tighter Alignment Between Business and IT (http://blogs.vmware.com/cloudops/?p=1094)Many IT stakeholders have limited trust in the IT organization as a result of the way it has operated in the past. In this short video, Kevin Lees shares tips on how IT can deal with this real-world problem that is almost always overlooked. Kevin Lees is principal architect of the VMware Global Operations Transformation […]
- Operations Transformation at VMworld: What’s in it for you? (http://blogs.vmware.com/cloudops/?p=1090)
Your CIO expects great things, and you deliver by understanding and implementing great technology. But now it’s time to take it up a notch – show that you understand how technology change affects the entire organization. Bring forward ideas for people, process and technology evolution. This year at VMworld, the Operations Transformation track gives you […]
- VMware + Containers = Containers without Compromise (http://cto.vmware.com/?p=2821)For this post, I’m temporarily taking off my VMware End User Computing hat and putting back on my Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC) one. (As many of you may know, I was part the VMware SDDC team for 9+ years, so every now and then I still need my SDDC fix!) Today I’m at Gartner Catalyst participating in a panel session entitled “Virtual Machines: Forever Glory or Dying Breed?” The session is motivated out of interest in Docker and Linux containers , and the question as to whether containers might…
- Big Data Design Considerations: Hadoop and Storage Choices (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13581)
When deploying Hadoop on vSphere, an important choice to make is the storage architecture for your data. There are several approaches to addressing this subject. We explore two important and contrasting approaches in this blog in order to help Hadoop architects understand their choices better. The different storage approaches described here are the direct-attached storage (DAS) […]
- Big Data Sessions, Demos and Labs at VMworld 2014 (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13573)
There are some really very interesting and useful virtualized Big Data-related talks and demos at VMworld 2014 during the week of the 24th-27th August. Among them is a customer panel at 4-5pm on Monday discussing vSphere, vCAC and Big Data Extensions for managing your virtualized Hadoop workloads as well as a talk from a VMware customer on providing Hadoop-as-a-Service (1-2pm […]
- VMworld 2014 Networking and Security Session Guide (http://blogs.vmware.com/networkvirtualization/?p=1509)At last year’s show, we introduced you to VMware NSX, and presented a vision for how network virtualization will fundamentally change data center networking. We focused a lot on what NSX is, what it does, and why you should start planning to virtualize your network. This year, we’re still focused on the basics. We have […]
- VMware NSX Customer Story: Colt Decreases Data Center Networking Complexity (http://blogs.vmware.com/networkvirtualization/?p=1494)Adoption of network virtualization and SDN technologies from VMware and Arista Networks simplifies cloud infrastructure and enables automation to reduce timescales of cloud and network service provisioning Offering the largest enterprise-class cloud footprint in Europe, Colt, an established leader in delivering integrated network, data center, voice and IT services, has implemented software- defined networking [SDN] […]
- vCenter Operations Tech Tips: Tip #39 – Capacity Planning for your Infrastructure (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4289)
Have you ever wondered what is going on in your virtual infrastructure? Have you ever struggled to see when do you need to scale up or scale down your host infrastructure that runs your VMs? Have you ever thought how do you properly do the capacity planning of your virtualised infrastructure? If your answer to […]
- Ensure DISA Certificate Compliance using VCM (http://blogs.vmware.com/security/?p=1147)
Today, I show you how you can ensure you comply to DISA mandates to have DoD certificates on each Microsoft Windows machine using VMware vCenter Configuration Manager (VCM), a key component in the VMware vCenter Operations Suite (vC Ops). For this example, DISA STIG for Windows 8 / 8.1 Version: 1 Release: 6 released on 25 […]
- Deciding Between VMware Horizon 6 and Citrix XenDesktop? (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6210)By Cyndie Zikmund, End-User Computing Product Line Marketing Manager, VMware, and Scott Edstrom, End-User Computing Senior Consultant, VMware You have heard about Horizon 6 by now, but are you curious about how it compares to Citrix XenDesktop? The VMware Horizon 6 family of solutions offers a choice of new features and capabilities for desktop and […]
- VMworld Sessions for Customers Looking for a Safe Passage From Citrix and MDM Vendors to VMware (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6203)By Ben Goodman, Lead Evangelist, End-User Computing In my previous blog post I included ten not-to-be-missed EUC breakout sessions at VMworld. Since then we’ve added a few new sessions to the agenda that I want to make sure you consider adding to your schedule. Recently VMware launched Safe Passage, a new program designed to help desktop, application […]
- What Is the Best Server Virtualization Platform for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure? (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6198)By Cyndie Zikmund, EUC Product Line Marketing Manager, VMware Have you ever asked yourself: What is the best server virtualization platform for virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI)? VMware vSphere is the answer. More and more organizations are moving towards virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) as the solution to reducing administrative overhead, increasing productivity, and improving security. VDI […]
- Enterprise mobility news recap: August 11 – 15 (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31031)Mobile technology is changing by the minute; sometimes you just can’t catch it all. Here’s what you might have missed this week: The internet of things (IoT) keeps growing and Samsung has taken notice. The South Korean tech giant announced its decision to acquire the connected company SmartThings, the maker of a $99 hub that […]
- AirWatch Connect Industry Day: Aviation (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31022)
AirWatch Connect Atlanta is rapidly approaching, and this year’s event is going to be bigger than ever. It’s also going to be more customized. As part of our commitment to provide an interactive and industry-driven experience, we’re launching Industry Tracks on Monday, September 8. Industry Tracks will help attendees connect with their peers and participate […]
- Six questions answered: Why digital watermarking matters (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31001)Last week, AirWatch announced that it had earned multiple watermarking patents. Today, we had the chance to speak with Suja Ramachandran, Product Manager for AirWatch Secure Content Locker, to learn more about the technology. What’s exciting about AirWatch digital watermarking technology? The capability behind our watermarking technology is extremely exciting. The watermarks are dynamic in […]
- Watch the video: Microsoft in Education (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=30959)Last month, we had a chance to catch up with Lydia Smyers, Microsoft’s head of education marketing and the Microsoft educator network, to discuss the latest developments for Microsoft in education. AirWatch and Microsoft work together to provide safe-for-school mobility solutions to students all around the world. Microsoft made several announcements during the International Society […]
- Australian Signals Directorate authorizes AirWatch Secure Content Locker for government use (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=30914)AirWatch Secure Content Locker has reached another significant milestone. The secure file sync and share solution, which has gained significant momentum in recent months, is now certified for use in Australian and New Zealand government agencies. The Australian Signals Directorate (ASD), which certifies IT solutions for specific purposes and security levels, has granted AirWatch Secure Content Locker […]
- Join AirWatch at the International Legal Technology Association (ILTA) Conference (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=30896)ILTA, the International Legal Technology Association, is hosting its 37th annual educational conference at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center in Nashville, Tenn. The conference offers legal IT professionals the chance to gather with like-minded colleagues to learn about new technologies, discuss best practices and learn from legal and technology innovators. From Aug. 18 […]
- Heading to VMworld 2014 in San Francisco? (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1274)
If so, then consider what our strategic alliance partners have in store for you at this year’s conference and reserve your spot for the following sessions via Schedule Builder today. Check out these popular HP sessions and stop by the HP Booth (#1005) to get an update on the latest from VMware|HP and see how […]
- ATTN Solution Providers/Corp Resellers – We Have New Product Incentives (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1272)
As of August 1, 2014, eligible partners can qualify for an additional 10% discount on eligible Horizon Ent/Adv, vSphere with Operations Management, and Virtual SAN products closed through Advantage+. Eligible partners can also earn a 10% rebate in Solution Rewards on Horizon and vSphere with Operations Management Sales. Learn more.
- Access the Quarterly Partner Briefing Portal Now (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1269)
The Q3 Partner Briefing features product launch news and update videos around SDDC, vCloud Suite 5.8, Workspace Suite, AirWatch, Horizon DaaS, Hyper Converged Infrastructure Appliance, and Partner mToolbook. It’s important that you stay current. Access the Quarterly Partner Briefing Portal to get your preview now.
- Now Available – Software-Defined Storage Accelerator Service R1.1 (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1267)
Developed with review and guidance from the field, technical marketing, and our GCoE, this release enhances the offering to include technical materials that deliver architecture, design, and deployment guidance for Virtual SAN in a customer environment.
- Now Available – BCDR Design and Deploy Service Kit R1.1 (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1265)This release builds on the BCDR solution through the addition of data protection using VDP Advanced and High Availability of Applications with vSphere App HA, as well as considerations for using Virtual SAN with vCenter Site Recovery Manager.
- Sneak Peek Videos – Partner Day at VMworld 2014, Moscone (http://blogs.vmware.com/tap/?p=884)This year we have a dedicated Partner Day at VMworld US 2014 at Moscone on Sunday August 24. We have great sessions lined up for you. Watch preview videos and register soon to avoid disappointment – seats are filling up quickly! The following Technology Exchange (TEX) Breakout Sessions are on Sunday August 24. Watch preview videos now! […]
- Here’s Want You Don’t Want To Miss at VMworld 2014 Partner Day (http://blogs.vmware.com/partner/?p=2104)We’ve talked a lot about how great VMworld 2014 Partner Day (US) is going to be over these last few months, but don’t just take our word for it – listen as Dave O’Callaghan, VMware’s SVP of the Global Partner Organization, shares his excitement for Partner Day 2014 (US). We’ve got a few surprises up […]
- Virtualization 2.0: The rise of performance-enhancing IT (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=2959)In its early form, virtualization represented a great leap forward for IT managers—accommodating more workloads on each machine and, consequently, a welcome means for reining in data center costs. More than 15 years later, the evolution of virtualization marches on. Coaxing all you can from your hardware resources is hardly out of fashion, but it’s […]
- Hands-on Labs – What To Expect at VMworld 2014 US (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=2953)
This post originally appeared on the VMworld Blog. Friends, We are very excited about another great Hands-on Labs at VMworld and happy to give you an inside peek at what is coming. Why attend Hands-on Labs during VMworld? #1. Be the first to take the latest Hands-on Labs. Our labs are released every year at […]
vCloud Hybrid Service (vCHS) has twice the compute power of … Read More
- Startup Into: Platform9 (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15220)Yesterday a startup came out of stealth which was founded by a couple of former VMware veterans. I happen to know the majority of them, and have had the pleasure to have worked with them on various things in the past. For instance Platform9‘s three of the four co-founders were all heavily involved in vCloud […] " Startup Into: Platform9 " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via Pearson today!
- This. Is. Awesome. (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/08/this-is-awesome.html)I have to say, firstly as a USER – I’m in love. I LOVE the new Syncplicity iPhone client. It’s so elegant, so smooth, and packs so much into the tiny iPhone UI constraints – it’s art. Watch the video...
- A couple neat observations from 8 weeks of road travel (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/08/a-couple-neat-observations-from-8-weeks-of-road-travel.html)I’m wrapping up 8 weeks on the road with customers (more than 10 states, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, France, Germany, Italy, UK) – a ton of amazing conversations, listening and learning. While people/cultures/languages/technology adoption differ – some very clear trends:...
- VMworld 2014 Prayer Time (http://blog.scottlowe.org/?p=3497)If you're attending VMworld 2014 in San Francisco and are a follower of Christ, you're invited to join us in the mornings for a few quick minutes of prayer. This article was originally posted on blog.scottlowe.org . Visit the site for more information on virtualization, servers, storage, and other enterprise technologies. VMworld 2014 Prayer Time
- Deploying CoreOS on OpenStack Using Heat (http://blog.scottlowe.org/?p=3495)Interested in deploying your very own CoreOS cluster on OpenStack? Here's a way to use Heat, the OpenStack orchestration service, to help speed that up. This article was originally posted on blog.scottlowe.org . Visit the site for more information on virtualization, servers, storage, and other enterprise technologies. Deploying CoreOS on OpenStack Using Heat
- Cloud-Hosted Cloud Management via Platform9 (http://blog.scottlowe.org/?p=3493)A new startup has emerged from stealth, offering IaaS capabilities via an SaaS delivery model. This article was originally posted on blog.scottlowe.org . Visit the site for more information on virtualization, servers, storage, and other enterprise technologies. Cloud-Hosted Cloud Management via Platform9
- Running Arista vEOS on KVM (http://blog.scottlowe.org/?p=3491)This blog post shows how to run a virtualized Arista switch (more commonly known as vEOS) on KVM with libvirt and Open vSwitch (OVS). This article was originally posted on blog.scottlowe.org . Visit the site for more information on virtualization, servers, storage, and other enterprise technologies. Running Arista vEOS on KVM
- Get Your Monster VM Fix Before VMworld 2014 – Chance to Win Free Ticket to VMworld Europe (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=4424)Although my Monster VM panel was in the top 10 sessions of VMworld 2013 and we did a Monster VM and Business Critical Apps panel for TAM day this year neither session will be included at VMworld in the USA or Europe. But not to worry. There is plenty of great content at VMworld for […]
- Nutanix One-Click Upgrades and Support Portal Enhancements (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=4385)The great thing about working for a company that is in the business of making software defined datacenter a reality (Nutanix) is that whenever we make a software improvement every existing customer benefits. They get all the software benefits even without changing hardware. This often includes things like performance improvements, but it also includes things such […]
- VMware – VMworld 2014 – Travelling (http://www.penguinpunk.net/blog/?p=2119)
Did I mention I’m going to VMworld this year? If you follow me on twitter you might want to mute me for the next few weeks if you’re not into hearing all about conference things. And travelling long distances. And being cranky. And (hopefully) news from said conference. The point of this post, however, is […]
- EMC – VNX Pool LUN Allocation vs Default Owner (http://www.penguinpunk.net/blog/?p=2115)I had a question about this come up this week and thought I’d already posted something about it. Seems I was lazy and didn’t. If you have access, have a look at Primus article emc311319 on EMC’s support site. If you don’t, here’s the rough guide to what it’s all about. When a Storage Pool is […]
- VMworld 2014 (http://www.vreference.com/?p=2315)
It’s a popular thing to do at this time of year so I thought I’d grab your attention for a few minutes and tell you why I’m super excited for VMworld this year. This year will be my sixth VMworld US conference. Every year I get a different perspective. Obviously the technologies and products change [...]
- Nutanix, Software Defined Storage Players and My VMworld Sessions! (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=6535)I should be on leave this week in preparation for the marathon during next two weeks, but I am not. I am rather working furiously on a number of different Nutanix partnerships and announcements. BTW – Big Nutanix announcement coming sometime next week. Next week is also the Nutanix SKO ‘Sales KickOff’ and this time it’s … Continue reading »
- Nutanix and Veeam Strong Momentum (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=6531)It’s very pleasing when two companies enter in deep collaboration at multiple levels – this is the case of Nutanix and Veeam. In a series of joint technical and market efforts both companies have a strong momentum. Nutanix and Veeam share a similar focus on the virtualizsed data center and on the private cloud which … Continue reading »
- Using Nutanix Java SDK for Automation – Sample Code and Repo (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=6523)DevOps is a response to the growing awareness that there is a disconnect between what is traditionally considered development activity and what is traditionally considered operations activity. For the business, DevOps contributes directly to enabling business agility and IT alignment. Software vendors working with Nutanix to integrate their software stack into the Nutanix PRISM APIs … Continue reading »
- Free Tool Friday – File Menu Tools (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36051)File Menu Tools is free utility (or rather set of utilities) which installs on x86 or x64 systems. The goal of this free application is to ease the pain (as usually) and to make the life of th admin easier. We all seek to make our lives easier, right? Than read on because this utility [...] Read the full post Free Tool Friday – File Menu Tools at ESX Virtualization . Get Veeam v7 R2 Free Version! . VMware vSphere Essentials: Download Here!
- 10 Days Free Trial With PluralSight Training – Try It (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36040)Training is changing. The way we learn is changing. Before, to get the knowledge one had to travel to the nearest training center or a certified trainer had to come on site. Then the possibility to buy training on video support has become available. Companies like TrainSignal were the choice for getting latest and hottest trainings. [...] Read the full post 10 Days Free Trial With PluralSight Training – Try It at ESX Virtualization . Get Veeam v7 R2 Free Version! . VMware vSphere Essentials: Download…
- DNS name does not display as FQDN on the Summary tab of a virtual machine (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=33761)This usually happens when your VM is not part of the Microsoft domain. The summary TAB do not show the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) but only the hostname. DNS name does not display as FQDN on the Summary tab of a virtual machine and you might be thinking how to fix this.It’s just a quick [...] Read the full post DNS name does not display as FQDN on the Summary tab of a virtual machine at ESX Virtualization . Get Veeam v7 R2 Free Version! . VMware vSphere Essentials: Download Here!
- VMware Horizon View Firewall Ports Requirements (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36011)
There are ports which needs to be open on a firewall when installing VMware Horizon View. The best way to get started with Horizon View is to follow an excellent VMware PDF called – VMware Horizon View 6 Evaluator’s guide. However keep in mind that good knowledge of required firewall ports for VMware Horizon View deployments [...] Read the full post VMware Horizon View Firewall Ports Requirements at ESX Virtualization . Get Veeam v7 R2 Free Version! . VMware vSphere Essentials: Download Here!
The cloud is a mystery to you? We will solve that, just tune in on VMGuru during VMworld 2014 and we will bring you the latest news. VMGuru will attend VMworld US from August 24-28 and VMworld Europe from October 13-16. If there is news from the Moscone Center in San Francisco or the Fira in Barcelona you will find it here on VMGuru. VMworld 2014 his years theme is “No Limits”. The Mobile-Cloud era has arrived and it’s all about software. Software that empowers you to break down walls, demolish…