Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=84638d120599c4461b514e1a0&id=3a514c417a&e=[UNIQID]
From the editors virtual desk
Hi Everyone, I have had a great and very productive week with many discussions with customers on their plans for managing the costs of their virtual environment. This is a hot topic and one that I believe VMware is well positioned to address. As we have spent the past 10+ years working with our customers in their datacenters and helping them virtualise, save money and become more agile we have also been hard at work on the financial side of things. This has become even more important of late with many customers under pressure to provide not only operational requirements for their cloud deployments but also financial cost and justification. The Hybrid Cloud and VMware's VCHS solution provides even more tangible reasons to extend the datacenter to the cloud but again costing is imperative.
I have written a number of blog posts on this subject and it is one that I am very interested in pursuing further. Feel free to take a read of the latest blog posting I have done at: https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140727100816-4007630-revisiting-the-costs-for-a-virtual-environment?trk=mp-edit-rr-posts
With VMworld US fast approaching I am dedicating a new section to this amazing event. I hope you enjoy it and if you havent already done so join the @VMWARETAM Twitter and VMWARETAM on Facebook for more updates.
Have a fantastic and productive week.
Senior Technical Account Manager
Local Events (BRISBANE)
VMware vCAC 6.0
Local Training Classes
VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.5] 18-22 Aug
VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V5.5] 01-05 Sept
Here are your chances for networking at VMworld 2014 US: http://bit.ly/1nZbzps #Learn #Meet #Party
Save 25% on 3 hot topic training courses at #VMworld. Join us early or attend online remotely! http://bit.ly/1pK3AIe
- Top 20 Articles for July 2014 (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6241)Here is our Top 20 KB list for July 2014. This list is ranked by the number of times a VMware Support Request was resolved by following the steps in a published Knowledge Base article. 1. VMware ESXi 5.x host experiences a purple diagnostic screen mentioning E1000PollRxRing and E1000DevRx (2059053) 2. Installing async drivers on […]
- The Forecast Is Sunny for Cloud Careers (http://blogs.vmware.com/cloudops/?p=1064)This infographic distills data behind what’s driving the demand for IT professionals with cloud-related skills and why the hunt is on for top talent. Scroll through the entire image for a final section of lucrative careers and top companies hiring.
- VMware Virtual SAN and Block Alignment (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13256)Recently a question came up around Virtual SAN and block alignment that I want to address. Traditionally, there have been two potential block alignment issues in vSphere environments: 1) VMFS block alignment with respect to underlying array chunks. Alignment at the VMFS layer has been addressed since VMFS-3 (used in vSphere 3 and 4) being […]
- Dell, VMware Virtual SAN, and Horizon Whitepaper (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13324)The Dell Wyse Solutions Engineering group has partnered with VMware’s Software-Defined Storage team to produce an extensive whitepaper detailing the performance of Virtual SAN running Horizon with View on specific Dell platforms. Virutal SAN configurations using two different hardware platforms are documented, with performance results from multiple differing configurations based on SSD and disk group displayed. […]
- SSH keys when using Lockdown Mode – A 5.x Hardening Guide update (https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13345)Hi, I was informed today that there is a behavior in the 5.1 through 5.5 Update 1 Hardening Guides that is incorrectly documented. The two affected guidelines are: ESXi.enable-lockdown-mode ESXi.remove-authorized-keys The guidance in both is as follows: Note: Lockdown mode does not apply to root users who log in using authorized keys. When you use […]
- vSphere Data Protection (VDP) – SSO server could not be found (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13329)I ran into the following error today while working with VDP: The SSO server could not be found. Please make sure the SSO configuration on the VDP appliance is correct. There is a KB article on this: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2072033. After reading through the article and checking those items, the issue was still not resolved. Some background info: […]
- Getting the Most Out of Education & Certification at VMworld US – A Handy Checklist! (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4492)We’re counting down to VMworld US happening on August 24 – 28, 2014 in San Francisco! Are you? To help you make the most out of your time, not to mention the education and training opportunities available at VMworld, we’ve prepared a quick checklist of Things to Know Before You Go. 1) The Early Bird […]
- New FREE eLearning: VMware Mirage Fundamentals [V5.X] (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4479)We’re now adding VMware Mirage Fundamentals [V5.X] to our FREE eLearning library. This self-paced eLearning course provides an overview of the key concepts of VMware Mirage, its components and architecture, the installation and configuration process, the key business challenges that VMware Mirage will solve, and the administrator and end-user tasks that can be performed in Mirage. […]
- New FREE eLearning: Horizon (With View) Fundamentals [V6.0] (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4473)Now added to our FREE eLearning library is a new course which provides you with a fundamental understanding of Horizon View functionality including the business challenges it intends to solve. The Horizon (With View) Fundamentals [V6.0] eLearning course contains nearly 4 hours of FREE course material distributed across 5 modules for a self-paced learning experience […]
- A Customer Perspective: VMware NSX, Micro-Segmentation & Next-Generation Security (http://blogs.vmware.com/networkvirtualization/?p=1479)VMware NSX and Palo Alto Networks are transforming the data center by combining the fast provisioning of network and security services with next-generation security protection for East-West traffic. At VMworld, John Spiegel, Global IS Communications Manager for Columbia Sportswear will take the stage to discuss their architecture, their micro-segmentation use case and their experience. This is session SEC1977 taking place on […]
- Webcast – IP Address Management Automation for Cloud (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4196)See how VMware vCloud Automation Center and InfoBlox IPAM accelerate the delivery of IT infrastructure and applications By Rich Bourdeau Many companies use InfoBlox IP address Management (IPAM) to manage their IP addresses and DNS host records. A year ago InfoBlox released a VCenter Orchestrator plug-in to allow IP Addresses to be automatically assigned from […]
- Log Insight Customer Satisfaction: “Trust, but Verify” (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4054)There is a famous Russian saying, “trust, but verify”. Here at VMware, we trust that we have a great product in vCenter Log Insight, but we want to verify that our customers agree. In order to do so, we commissioned tech research firm TechValidate to survey Log Insight customers in June. As a result of […]
- Cloud Automation – Get Your Hands on Our Solutions (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4185)by Rich Bourdeau You are coming to VMworld so that you can learn about new software defined services, end user computing and management solutions from VMware. There are over 500 sessions you can attend, but don’t miss the opportunity to get your hands on our products. Remember the old Chinese proverb: “Tell me, I’ll forget. […]
- Gear Up for VMworld 2014! We Want to Hear What You’re Excited About in our 8/12 #cloudtalk (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=3792)We know you must be getting excited about VMworld 2014, because we are too! Leading up to VMworld 2014, we want to encourage all VMworld attendees and enthusiasts, both past and present, to join us for our next #cloudtalk and share your must-see sessions and events that you’re looking forward to at VMworld this year. For […]
- Meet Your VMworld Speaker Jay Marshall (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=3768)I’m doing something new this year before VMworld 2014. I decided that there is so much good content coming from my co-workers, that it might be helpful to get introduced to them as speakers before the event. My goal is that people who enjoy my presentations will start following and listening to the presentations by […]
- New and Improved vCloud Hybrid Service vSphere Client plug-in (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=3771)The VMware vCloud Hybrid Service team is continuously expanding on our vision of hybrid management. Last week, we announced general availability of vCenter Operations Management pack for vCloud Hybrid Service. Today, we are happy to announce general availability of vCloud Hybrid Service vSphere Client plug-in 1.5. The plug-in extends familiar vSphere Web Client UI to […]
- Ten Can’t Miss EUC Sessions at VMworld (with bonus, extra special don’t miss session) (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6184)By Ben Goodman, Lead Evangelist, End-User Computing In my previous blog I discussed why an End-User Computing (EUC) specialist should attend VMworld. We discussed the announcements, the opportunity to hobnob with your peers, and of course all the EUC-focused sessions. Today I’m highlighting the top 10 can’t miss sessions for you to check out while […]
- 3D-Graphics Acceleration in View Virtual Desktops (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6176)By Alexander West, Technical Writer for End-User Computing Technical Marketing, VMware With significant contributions from Stephane Asselin, EUC Architect, VMware VMware Horizon with View offers excellent 3D-graphics capabilities to View users everywhere. To ensure top-flight performance for 3D graphics in View, administrators have three different graphics-acceleration options to choose from: Soft 3D, vSGA, and vDGA. […]
- Migrating to Windows 8.x Using VMware Mirage 5.0 (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6160)By John Domenichini, Technical Writer, VMware With significant contributions from Stephane Asselin, EUC Architect, Technical Enablement, End-User Computing, VMware VMware Mirage supports Windows 7 migration and, with release 5.0, Mirage adds Windows 8.1 and 8.1 Update 1 migration support. Okay, but what does that mean to you? It might mean a lot. While Windows 8 […]
- Enterprise mobility news recap: July 28 – August 1 (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=30758)Mobile technology is changing by the minute; sometimes you just can’t catch it all. Here’s what you might have missed this week: Google Hangouts is getting down to business. In a post on the company’s enterprise blog, Google announced Hangouts for work, which has the same Terms of Service as other Google Apps for Business, […]
- AirWatch earns patents for watermarking technology (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=30725)Today, AirWatch announced that the U.S. Patent and Trademark office has awarded AirWatch two patents for functionality watermarking and management and enterprise-specific watermarking and management. Watermarking documents enables users to verify the authenticity of documents and their origins. From the AirWatch console, administrators can overlay and apply customized watermarks based on employee identification numbers to […]
- The mobile maturity stages of state and local government: Where does your organization fall? (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=30674)For years, state and local government agencies have trailed behind commercial industries in terms of mobile innovation. Stringent regulations, evolving threats and fiscal limitations have slowed technological advancement for many government organizations, leaving them behind the curve. According to a 2013 NASCIO survey of state CIOs, just 37 percent say their government-wide mobility management projects […]
- The evolving landscape of mobility in education (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=30638)The way we teach, the way we learn and the way we access information continues to transform with the advent of mobile technology. For many organizations, it is no longer enough to simply introduce mobility into the classroom – schools and teachers must take full advantage of the devices. Among the goals of top education […]
- EUC Integration Points (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=30614)
Back in April, I blogged about how we’re thinking of bringing VMware and AirWatch together, outlining our broad vision and high-level architecture for how to conceptualize the integration. The original blog was well-received by customers and partners alike, who were happy to see that VMware is committed to moving quickly on integrating the great new technologies […]
- What we found: Insights from our BYOD poll (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=30559)
Last month, we asked our readers to answer a few questions about BYOD at their organization. We received a total of 164 votes, below are our findings: BYOD Program Prevalence 50% of our respondents said their organization offers a BYOD program. Of BYOD organizations, 70% require employees to sign a BYOD policy before using personal […]
- Hot Out of Production are New, vCloud Automation Center Videos (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1247)
These new videos will help you easily show your customers the value of vCloud Automation Center. For example, video #1 has a general sales focus that covers what’s new in Version 6.0, video #2 has a technical presales focus that covers resource automation and reclamation, managing infrastructure fabric, etc., and video #3 has a post […]
- Get Trained to Sell AirWatch On-Premise (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1252)AirWatch On Premise SKUs will be on the VMware price list in September, however you need to have completed AirWatch technical training to sell. The training required can only be taken at an AirWatch Connect event through the Certification track, which includes an ‘all access’ badge to the event. Use Discount code: VMWp20 to save […]
- Americas Q3 Partner Town Hall is Tomorrow, July 31st (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1245)Register now to join vice presidents Frank Rauch and Brandon Sweeney for the Americas Partner Organization Q3 virtual Town Hall on July 31st at 9:30 AM PT. During this event, they will review the state of the partner business, new segmentation strategy, product focus areas, updated Partner Incentive Program, and Q3 priorities. Don’t miss it.
- VMworld 2014: No Limits—New Possibilities (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1249)VMworld will be in San Francisco, Aug. 24-28th. If you haven’t already, register now and be sure to select [and join us] at Partner Day, taking place on Sunday, August 24th during your registration process. With Schedule Builder now live, it’s time to maximize your partner experience and build your conference agenda as you navigate through […]
- Virtualized Servers and Desktops – a Game Changer for a Thai Automaker’s Bottom Line (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1243)The joint Dell | VMware vSphere virtualization platform, together with its virtualized desktop service, has increased Isuzu Ung Nguan’s sales and productivity by giving its sales teams and others easy access to critical information off-site. Learn more.
- The VMworld 2014 Partner Lounge Insider (http://blogs.vmware.com/partner/?p=2088)VMworld 2014 is around the corner and you better get ready, because this year it’s going to bigger and better than ever. We are pulling out all the stops for our annual Partner Lounge opening on Sunday, August 24 at 10am PT, and running through Thursday. Come unwind, connect with VMware subject matter experts and […]
Business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR) solutions represent a form of business insurance of your IT. Important? By all means. But traditional BCDR solutions are costly and complicated–frankly, a gold-plated policy for the privileged few. And even for those who can afford to pony up for the premiums, there is the added challenge of integrating […]
- Q&A with Gavin Jackson on the future of vCHS in Europe – Part Two (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1004)Last week we shared with you the thoughts of Gavin … Read More
- What are the consequences of not being in the IT fast lane? (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=993)We recently announced the results of a European-wide research project … Read More
- IndyVMUG: Come watch my sessions on Docker & Cloud Foundry (http://kendrickcoleman.com/index.php/Tech-Blog/indyvmug-come-watch-my-sessions-on-docker-cloud-foundry.html)Indianapolis VMUG ( @IndyVMUG ) is back in season again and it will be bigger than ever this year. If you've never been, it's one of the largest VMUG gatherings in the nation with a few thousand attendees. ( register and see the schedule ) This year, there will be a dedicated User Content Track with a lightening talk format where all presentations are limited to 15 minutes. This is NOT in the Official VMUG Schedule so you will have to find it once you get there. If you have never been to a…
- How to setup your Mac with VMware Fusion, Vagrant, and boot2docker (http://kendrickcoleman.com/index.php/Tech-Blog/how-to-setup-your-mac-with-vmware-fusion-vagrant-and-boot2docker.html)
Yesterday I had some fun getting Vagrant + boot2docker working on my mac with VMware Fusion. It really wasn't all that hard but some people have had some issues so I'll document my steps. I chose to use VMware Fusion instead of VirtualBox for Vagrant because I don't need 2 products that essentially do the same thing. At the same time, Fusion has reported better consistency with experience and performance time and time again. 1. Install Vagrant Go to the Vagrant Website downloads and…
- VMCI – revisited (a.k.a. Project Marvin) (tag:blogger.com,1999:blog-5819640694385843490.post-7246194692369534073)
You all know what VMCI stands for – don’t you? Well if you ever looked at VMware solutions – then you would recognize it - VMCI Overview. The Virtual Machine Communication Interface (VMCI) is an infrastructure that provides fast and efficient... This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more!..
- TechTalks with VMTurbo boost (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4674)VMTurbo is a long time sponsor of this site, it’s great to have them also sponsoring the TechTalks at VMworld USA. VMTurbo were also a presenter at Tech Field Day, we learnt about the free market commodity trading algorithms that are used to manage resource delivery. Imagine VMs have a budget to buy things like […]
- TechTalks at OpenStack Summit Paris (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4670)We had an awesome time at the Atlanta summit, met a heap of new people and made a pile of great video. If you haven’t already checked it out this page has session titles with links to the video or the whole YouTube playlist is here. Since Atlanta was so great we are going to […]
- TechTalk sponsor number four, Cisco (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4664)I really like when sponsors want to work with vBrownBag for multiple events and over multiple years. It says that they see the value of getting close to the community of people who use their products to solve business problems. Cisco has sponsored every TechTalk event that vBrownBag has ever done, and we’re delighted to […]
- Staying through Thursday at VMworld? Come to PureStorage Evolve (http://www.2vcps.com/?p=1805)When: Thursday August 28th 1:00pm – 5:45pm (conference) and 5:45pm – 10:00pm (networking pavilion) Where: Yerba Buena Center It will be awesome. Register today! Why should you come? Flash is changing virtualization more than any other technology. With storage no longer in the way the journey to 100% virtualization can be a reality and you […]
- VMware Mirage 5.0 Free training 2H Online (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=35633)There is another free learning course provided for free by VMware education. This time there is new VMware Mirage 5.0 Free training 2H Online. Students will be able to learn Mirage product during 2 hours in an online course. The registration is required to get access to the training. VMware Mirage is a product which allows […] Read the full post VMware Mirage 5.0 Free training 2H Online at ESX Virtualization . Get Veeam v7 R2 Free Version! . VMware vSphere Essentials: Download Here!
- 4 H Free Training Horizon View 6.0 Fundamentals (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=35623)There is a new 4 H Free Training Horizon View 6.0 and gives very good insight of what you can expect from this product. VMware Horizon 6 has been released few months ago by VMware. This major update to VMware Horizon brings some major enhancements in the architecture with Cloud Pod Architecture, which now supports global entitlements across […] Read the full post 4 H Free Training Horizon View 6.0 Fundamentals at ESX Virtualization . Get Veeam v7 R2 Free Version! . VMware vSphere Essentials: Download…
- VMware vCenter Server 5.5 U1c Released Resolving issues related to vCenter Single Sign-On and VCAC (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=35616)VMware has quietly released new version of VMware vCenter Server 5.5 U1c, which brings interoperability with vCloud Automation Center (VCAC) and fixes some issues related to Single Sign-On (SSO). The build passes to version 1945271. Before upgrading you should check VMware Product Interoperability Matrix to see if all the vSphere products you using are compatible. […] Read the full post VMware vCenter Server 5.5 U1c Released Resolving issues related to vCenter Single Sign-On and VCAC at ESX…
- Win a free ebook copy of Essential Virtual SAN? (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15194)A couple of weeks ago the electronic version of Essential Virtual SAN was published and this week the first paper copies are shipping! Because of that Cormac and I decided we will give away 4 ebooks each. If you want to win one then please let us know why you feel you deserve to win a copy […] " Win a free ebook copy of Essential Virtual SAN? " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via Pearson today!
- Paper copy of Essential Virtual SAN available as of today! (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15199)3 weeks ago I announced the availability of the ebook of “Essential Virtual SAN”. Today I have the pleasure to inform you that the paper copy has also hit the streets and is being shipped by Amazon as of today. So for those who were waiting with ordering until the paper version was available… Go […] " Paper copy of Essential Virtual SAN available as of today! " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via…
- VMware vSphere 5.5 Virtual Network Adapter Performance (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=4256)As part of the development of Virtualizing SQL Server with VMware: Doing IT Right (VMware Press), which I co-authored with Michael Corey and Jeff Szastak, I needed to provide guidance around virtual networking. To do this I figured it would be a good idea to do some performance testing of various different virtual network adapters in VMware […]
- Evaluating A HyperConverged Virtualization Platform – Questions To Ask (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=4250)As more and more companies start to look at hyperconverged, web scale (such as Nutanix - where I work) or just converged solutions for your vitualization platform there is a need to make sure you know what your looking at and go in eyes wide open. There are a number of different aspects to evaluate, none of the […]
- Brisbane VMUG – August 2014 (http://www.penguinpunk.net/blog/?p=2108)The Brisbane VMUG meeting on August 14 looks the goods. Highlights include: vCloud Automation Center Overview vCAC Architecture and Roadmap Integration and Automation with vSphere and vCO Live Demonstration with a Public Cloud Refreshments and Pizza! It will be held at the EMC office in Brisbane on Thursday, August 14 from 4pm – 6pm. You can get more details […]
- VMware – VMworld 2014 – The Rookie’s Excited (http://www.penguinpunk.net/blog/?p=2101)I mentioned a little while ago that VMware had kindly provided me with a blogger’s pass to VMworld in San Francisco this year (the registration page is here). This will be my first VMworld, and while I’ve been to smaller events in Australia, I’m led to believe it’s a pretty big deal, with lots of […]
- EMC – HeatMap Analyzer – Basics – Part 3 – Charts (http://www.penguinpunk.net/blog/?p=2076)
This is part 3 of a series where I will go into a little more detail on how you use HeatMap Analyzer. In this article I will look at the different sort of charts that can be drawn using the Analyzer component. Line Chart This is a standard Line chart. Line style charts (Line, Stacked […]