From the editors virtual desk
Hi everyone, I am just back from a trip to Sydney which was very enjoyable but because of this I have fallen behind on some of my additional learning which I hope to catch up on next week.
My customers are almost all finished with their vSphere 5.5 upgrades and many are now turning their attention to other more advanced and potentially valuable projects now that this is complete. One of these that is gaining momentum amongst my customers is preparing for a Hybrid Cloud by ensuring that their internal private cloud which is almost 100% virtualised is being operated in a similar way. What I am seeing now is many customers really asking the important questions not around moving to the public cloud but rather how do they operate their own internal environment more like a private cloud but with the benefits they have enjoyed in their own environment.
I think this is a very exciting time as many of our customers start to shift their highly virtualised environments to a more cloud like structure and I would say that many will then start to investigate the Hybrid Cloud offering from VMware as the next step to extend their current environment for suitable workloads.
This brings me on to my final topic of VMworld which starts this week in San Francisco. Its going to be awesome with literally tens of thousands of VMware faithful descending on the beautiful city of San Francisco for the premier event of the year. There have been so many pre-announcements and one of them which I beieve is gaining much traction is vCloud Air. VMware is committed to the cloud more than anyone else with our rich history in helping organisations with their internal private cloud and now extending that to the Hybrid Cloud to bring even more solution capacity. Get familiar with this and the additional benefits at http://vcloud.vmware.com/.
If you are in San Francisco for VMworld have an amazing time and have a vBeer on me
Senior Technical Account Manager
nisserow @ vmware . com
VMworld Blog (http://www.vmworld.com/blogs/vmworld/)
There are two parts to the Solutions Exchange: the countless number of solutions (try to count – we dare you!) and the exchange of ideas, information, and some great swag. The expo hall truly illustrates VMware’s story. We are excited to highlight about 250 companies who are part of our very important Partner ecosystem. Malery Lassen, Sponsorship Manager, says “we’re an industry event and we’re happy to let our customers interface with companies who hold different philosophies… seems fitting that 2 out of the 3 major networking events at VMworld happen inside the Solutions Exchange!”
The VMworld Hang Space is a huge open-space room next to the General Session auditorium in lower Moscone North (just below the escalators). Whether new to VMworld, or experienced alumni, plan to spend time here networking with bloggers, subject experts, co-workers and VMworld attendees. It's the perfect place to meet-up, get organized, catch up on news & email, write blogs, browse social media streams, charge devices, or just relax.
Why attend Hands-on Labs during VMworld ?
#1. Be the first to take the latest Hands-on Labs. Our labs are released every year at VMworld US. The labs feature the latest products, features and solutions from VMware and partners.
#2. Interact with over 225 VMware product experts under one roof. Our experts are ready to provide guidance, share best practices when using our products. This is probably the only place in the universe where you can get access to this many product experts under one roof.
#3. Interact with your peers, and colleagues. This year we are featuring “Focus Areas” where like-minded individuals can take the same lab and share their experiences in a very casual and interactive manner.
Local Training Classes (Brisbane)
VMware vCloud Automation Center: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.0] 15-19 Sept
VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V5.5] 29 - 03 Oct
- Come see us at VMworld! (https://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6249)
Once again this year, the folks behind Knowledge Experience are coming to VMworld to showcase all the new things we’ve been up to since last year. I am sure you are asking why it is called Knowledge Experience – we have a new mission and vision and that is to provide contextual content to the […]
- Installing async drivers on VMware vSphere ESXi 5.0, 5.1, and 5.5 (http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/?p=6247)Today we have a new video series consisting of four individual videos which discuss and demonstrate how to install async drivers on VMware ESXi 5.0, 5.1, and 5.5. This video series is based on VMware Knowledge Base article Installing async drivers on VMware ESXi 5.0, 5.1, and 5.5 (2005205) and that article provides the different methods […]
- How to Create a More Accurate, Useful, and Equitable Service Costing Process (http://blogs.vmware.com/cloudops/?p=1112)By Khalid Hakim In my last post, I described the pressing need for a more effective IT service costing process (as a solution to the pressing need for tighter business/IT alignment!). The question now… is how. How can companies create a service costing process that is fast, accurate, transparent, granular, fair, and consistent—without introducing yet […]
- The VMware Foundation and “Destination Give Back” at VMworld 2014 – #vGiveBack (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=2800)The VMware Foundation is an important part of the culture at VMware. This culture of service connects VMware employees with each other, as well as with our broader community. At VMware, our giving is rooted in a philosophy that we call Citizen Philanthropy, which speaks to the power of choice in where and how we […]
- Mobile-Cloud Adventures at VMworld: Customer Breakout Sessions Span Industries, Illustrate Boundless Mobile Options (http://blogs.vmware.com/tribalknowledge/?p=2742)A tsunami of technological change continues to reshape markets based on the desires of users rather than the wants of IT. In the education, financial services, healthcare and government markets alike, IT’s need to react decisively while taking into account compliance and regulations mandates, heighten security controls and mobile-cloud demands creates new complexity as well […]
- Question of the Week (vCloud Director) (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4597)A) A vSphere cluster combined with a vShield Manager B) A vSphere resource pool tied to a cloud organization C) A combination of vCloud Director, vShield Manager and vCenter D) A single instance of vCloud Director To learn more, visit our VMware vCloud Director video series. Click through to the comments for the answer. Follow @VMwareEducation on Instagram to […]
- Free eLearning: VMware vCenter Configuration Manager Fundamentals [V5.7] (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4589)The enterprise IT environment is dynamic and is always subject to planned and unplanned changes. IT needs a solution that can maintain configuration compliance against internal standards, security best practices, vendor hardening guidelines, and regulatory mandates. VMware vCenter Configuration Manager delivers capabilities fundamental to ensuring that virtualized and cloud computing environments are properly configured to […]
- What’s in your bag of tricks? Upgrade, Uplevel, Uptime in the vSphere: Optimize and Scale [5.5] course from VMware (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4570) One thing you won’t find in this class is a rookie. The VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [5.5] course is “perfect for a core technical person,” says Umasankar Pattnaik of WIPRO Limited – India. Michael Susylinski agrees, “I found the class on the VMware website…and felt with my level of knowledge of VMware, this course […]
- Congratulations to the newest VCDXs and double VCDXs in Network Virtualization (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4566)Please join us in congratulating the newest VCDXs and double VCDXs who have successfully defended their vSphere and NSX designs and are the first group to attain the new VMware Certified Design Expert – Network Virtualization (VCDX-NV) certification! VCDX–NV Dustin Spinhirne, VCDX144 Joe Keegan, VCDX145 Ray Budavari, VCDX146 Max Ardica, VCDX147 Sai Chaitanya, VCDX148 Eric […]
- Infrastructure Architect and VCDX Candidate Enablement (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4558)VMware efforts to enable you by John Arrasjid Over the years many have experienced and benefited from the VMware Certified Design Expert (VCDX) Boot Camp and VCAP Boot Camps. We are now entering the 8th year of the program and I’d like to share what VMware is doing to help you as an existing or […]
- SDS Challenge: Ready to play? (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13641)In a previous blog, Rawlinson Rivera highlighted the key events, sessions, group discussions and HOLs from the Software-Defined Storage and Business Continuity teams. On top of all that, there is one more thing you can do to get the most out of VMworld 2014: You can play CloudCred! Take your VMworld experience to the next […]
- VMware Virtual SAN Sizing Tool (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13628)Oh yeah!!!!!! It’s official, the Virtual SAN Sizing Tool is now live and available to the general public. All Virtual SAN customers and enthusiasts can easy get sizing ideas and estimations on the amount hardware resources necessary to support a particular Virtual SAN design. All you will need to do is provide a few virtual […]
- Software-Defined Storage and Business Continuity Guide for VMworld 2014 (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13612)With VMworld being a few days way, the amount of excitement is palpable. The number of amazing announcements, news, and events that will take place during the week of August 24th is going to be awesome. The Software-Defined Storage and Business Continuity teams want to make sure everyone attending the conference is precisely aware of […]
- Monitoring VMware Virtual SAN with Virtual SAN Observer White Paper (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13606)As customers continue to implement VMware Virtual SAN in their environments, it is critical for them to have the ability to properly monitor and troubleshoot the performance of the system. Having access to the adequate tools and knowing how to use them and knowing how to interpret the data being presented is crucial for all […]
- Get the Latest Session and HOL Schedules for Virtual SAN, Virtual Volumes and More at VMworld 2014! (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13600)As many of you know, VMworld is just around the river bend! That means there’s a lot of planning left to do between now and when you get to San Francisco. Luckily, we’re here to help. As always, there’s a lot to see and do at this year’s VMworld, including learning VMware’s latest and greatest […]
- VMware Virtual SAN Experts Discuss the Importance and Future of Software Defined Storage (http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/?p=13590)By Alberto Farranato VMware Virtual SAN is VMware’s simple, cost-effective answer to the historically complex and expensive storage infrastructure enterprise IT teams have faced. As the data created and stored continues to grow at exponential speed, the demand for enterprise storage rises in tandem. The impact on IT is considerable – complexity, costs, and static […]
- VMworld 2014 & TAM Services – Your Customized Experience (http://blogs.vmware.com/tam/?p=1832)VMworld 2014 is just a couple days away and it’s going to be epic. Get ready for the next step in the VMworld journey: cutting-edge hands-on labs, high-impact breakout sessions, opportunities to network with the people shaping the future of IT and, of course, exclusive events for our TAM Services customers. As we approach this […]
- Welcoming A New Member To The VMware Family – CloudVolumes (http://cto.vmware.com/?p=2830)This past year has been very exciting for the End-User Computing group at VMware. Almost one year ago, Sanjay Poonen joined us as General Manager of EUC. In October 2013, we acquired Desktone , allowing us to provide customers with a mature Desktop-as-a-Service solution. In January 2014, we announced partnerships with Google and F5 Networks . Then in February, we acquired AirWatch , the leader in enterprise mobility management – VMware’s biggest acquisition ever. We launched the industry’s…
- End User Computing 101: Tying It Together with Mobility, BYOD, and Proper Methodology (http://blogs.vmware.com/consulting/?p=1568)By TJ Vatsa, Principal Architect, VMware Professional Services In the first two posts in this End User Computing (EUC) series (End User Computing 101 and Tips for Successful Deployments and End User Computing 101: Network and Security) I delved into EUC infrastructure, server power, network and security, devices, and appliances. Today, I’ll wrap up this […]
- Part 2 of HP and VMware: Operational Insight with vCenter Ops and Log Insight for HP Converged Systems (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4159)Last month HP and VMware announced exciting news about the integration of HP’s Converged Systems management plane OneView and vCenter Operations. Oneview provides streamlined management with unified processes, UI, and APIs across server, storage and networking. This unification of server, storage and network form a management plane point of view is what makes this vCenter […]
- Your vCenter Console Just Got More Powerful (Part 1 of HP and VMware – OneView) (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4367)For more than 14 years, VMware and HP have been working together to help customers realize the benefits of virtualization. Our two respective companies have recently reached another milestone in our efforts to simplify infrastructure management and move customers toward a software-defined data center. Last September, HP launched HP OneView, the first infrastructure management software […]
- Manage Your Templates! (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4335)Hey, have you seen my Windows 2012 template? Which one, you ask? Simple, I just mean the one with SP1. No, not .NET SP1… I mean the one with WINDOWS SP1, and just plain ol’ .NET 4.5. What? NO, not the one with IE 11! Seriously, you know none of our apps work past IE 8. […]
- What Not to Miss at VMworld US: The Cloud Operations Management Edition (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4354)Alright folks, VMworld US is almost upon us, and if you are going to be there, you might have already planned out what sessions you are going to attend. Or you might be thinking, “Oh, I’ll make my list in the flight over to San Francisco. There’s plenty of time!” Well, no matter which category you fall […]
- DevOps and Continuous Delivery at VMworld (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=4341)If you are involved in helping IT move faster by streamlining the software delivery process, there are some great breakout sessions at VMworld this year. VMware has some exciting new things to consider on your journey toward DevOps. It is not just about “infrastructure as code” and automated delivery of application and infrastructure blueprints. It […]
- Consolidated list of VMware Security Advisories (http://blogs.vmware.com/security/?p=1165)Today (8/21/2014) VMware Security Response Center is releasing a consolidated list, in the form of an Excel file (see below) of VMware Security Advisories. The list provides a single source of Security Advisories since 2012. The list contains all affected products, versions, fix details, known workarounds, VMware Knowledge Base articles, and release notes or KBs for […]
- VMworld 2014 Predictions, Advice and Must-See Events — a Recap of Our August #cloudtalk (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4197)We wanted to know what you were craving to see at VMworld 2014. So, on August 12th, we hosted our pre-VMworld #cloudtalk to discuss what sessions you’re planning on attending and what you think will happen at this year’s conference. With vExperts Dave Hill (@davehill99) and Barry Coombs (@VirtualisedReal) hosting, we knew it was going […]
- Come See Project NEE, VMware’s Virtual Lab Platform, at VMworld 2014! (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=4195)Few things can beat hands-on experience when it comes to training personnel on the latest software environments, but provisioning resources for classes can be difficult. Labs have to be recreated after each lesson and students need to download and install numerous clients and software. Say goodbye to all that and hello to VMware’s Next-generation Education […]
- Calling All Customers: vCloud Air Network Has Arrived! (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=3851)By: Geoffrey Waters Today we are thrilled to share two new updates on the hybrid cloud business here at VMware - First, we’ve launched the new VMware vCloud Air Network, an evolution and expansion of our existing VMware Service Provider Program (VSPP) loaded with more cloud service options than ever. We are delivering something truly unique […]
- Get Started with the Hybrid Cloud at VMworld With These 5 Starting Points Sessions (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=3847)
When it comes to getting the best of both worlds, hybrid cloud does just that – it allows for scalable access to much-needed IT resources, while also allowing the flexibility to move workloads onsite or offsite to meet specific needs. So how do you get started with hybrid cloud? Register for any or all of […]
- Mirage Large-Scale Reference Architecture (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6261)By Stephane Asselin, EUC Architect, Technical Enablement, End-User Computing, and Gary Sloane, Consultant, VMware End-User Computing Our biggest customers deploy thousands, sometimes many thousands, of desktops throughout their enterprises. Some of the biggest challenges they face are how to manage backups, how to do proper image management, and how to migrate from one Microsoft operating system to the […]
- Pay-As-You-Grow with Nutanix and VMware Horizon 6 (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6223)Guest blog by Dwayne Lessner, Technical Marketing Engineer, Nutanix @dlink7 As an end user of VMware end-user computing (EUC) products since 2008 when the product was called Virtual Desktop Manager 2.1, it’s been a great journey to see how VMware Horizon 6 (with View) has morphed into a full fledge application delivery platform. The latest […]
- Where To Find VMware Mirage Next Week at VMworld (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6257)By Sachin Sharma, Product Marketing, End-User Computing I can’t believe VMworld 2014 is right around the corner! Next week, over 20,000 VMware enthusiasts will descend upon San Francisco. Many VMworld attendees will line up for the general sessions with amazing keynote speakers we have in place. Some attendees will be part of customer panel discussions. […]
- No Worry, Save Money – VMware Mirage with Hitachi Data Systems (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6252)By Sachin Sharma, Product Marketing, End-User Computing, VMware and Dinesh Singh, Solutions Marketing Manager, Hitachi Data Systems The advent of bring your own device (BYOD) and bring your own PC (BYOPC) has pushed organizations worldwide to seriously consider centralized endpoint management. IT teams have realized that managing end-user devices is quite different from operating enterprise […]
- Spotlight Session @ VMworld: End-User Computing for the Mobile-Cloud Era (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6228)By Ben Goodman, Lead Evangelist, End-User Computing Hopefully you are getting prepared for VMworld and an amazing week in San Francisco! Recently I covered not-to-be-missed end-user computing (EUC) sessions at VMworld and I’m sure you have registered for all of them by now. Last week I talked about sessions ideal for organizations looking to move […]
- VMware Acquires CloudVolumes (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=6219)by Harry Labana, SVP and Chief Product Officer, CloudVolumes The industry’s virtualization infrastructure leader acquired us today. At just over three years old, VMware realized the potential of CloudVolumes’ technology to disrupt status quo application delivery. It’s a proud day at CloudVolumes today as we celebrate our acquisition by VMware and look forward to […]
- Enterprise mobility news recap: August 18 – 22 (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31283)
Mobile technology is changing by the minute; sometimes you just can’t catch it all. Here’s what you might have missed this week: AirWatch has updated Secure Content Locker webpages for IT admins, end users and industry solutions and added a resources section. In other AirWatch news, John Marshall was named one of Atlanta’s most admired […]
- AirWatch Connect Industry Day: Retail (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31268)AirWatch Connect Atlanta is rapidly approaching, and this year’s event is going to be bigger than ever. It’s also going to be more customized. As part of our commitment to provide an interactive and industry-driven experience, we’re launching Industry Tracks on Monday, September 8. Industry Tracks will help attendees connect with their peers and participate […]
- AirWatch Connect Industry Day: Healthcare (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31178)AirWatch Connect Atlanta is rapidly approaching, and this year’s event is going to be bigger than ever. It’s also going to be more customized. As part of our commitment to provide an interactive and industry-driven experience, we’re launching Industry Tracks on Monday, September 8. Industry Tracks will help attendees connect with their peers and participate […]
- Who’s sponsoring AirWatch Connect Atlanta? (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31193)AirWatch Connect Atlanta is 18 days away. Today, AirWatch released the latest partner sponsor list for the event. AirWatch Connect sponsors include partners that provide complementary technologies that integrate with AirWatch, as well as AirWatch resellers and carrier partners. Partner sponsors will display their solutions in the Mobility Expo at AirWatch Connect Atlanta, where attendees […]
- AirWatch Connect Industry Day: Government (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31127)AirWatch Connect Atlanta is rapidly approaching, and this year’s event is going to be bigger than ever. It’s also going to be more customized. As part of our commitment to provide an interactive and industry-driven experience, we’re launching Industry Tracks on Monday, September 8. Industry Tracks will help attendees connect with their peers and participate in […]
- AirWatch Connect Industry Day: Finance and Insurance (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31112)AirWatch Connect Atlanta is rapidly approaching, and this year’s event is going to be bigger than ever. It’s also going to be more customized. As part of our commitment to provide an interactive and industry-driven experience, we’re launching Industry Tracks on Monday, September 8. Industry Tracks will help attendees connect with their peers and participate in […]
- Four ways financial organizations can help ensure a successful mobility program (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31091)When it comes to mobility in finance, security trumps all. For years, BlackBerry reigned supreme in the space, but it’s no longer solely BlackBerry devices that are in bankers’ hands. Many financial institutions have gone multi-OS, and many employees expect to access their corporate email and content on their own devices. Supporting Multiple Operating Systems […]
- AirWatch Connect Industry Day: Education (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31073)AirWatch Connect Atlanta is rapidly approaching, and this year’s event is going to be bigger than ever. It’s also going to be more customized. As part of our commitment to provide an interactive and industry-driven experience, we’re launching Industry Tracks on Monday, September 8. Industry Tracks will help attendees connect with their peers and participate in […]
- AirWatch Partner Profile: PrinterOn enables painless mobile printing (http://blogs.air-watch.com/?p=31049)In the enterprise, printing is a critical component in successful business operations. When enterprise workers can’t print from their mobile device, mission-critical tasks can come to a halt, employees grow frustrated, productivity declines, and customers ultimately get disappointed. PrinterOn, the world’s leader in securing mobile printing solutions, is making mobile printing pains obsolete. The company […]
- Live Stream VMworld 2014 Keynote Sessions (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1292)Share VMware NOW URL with your customers, so they can live stream the VMworld 2014 keynotes on Aug 25th & 26th.
- Hybrid Cloud Rebranding & vCloud Air Network Announcement (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1289)VMware vCloud Hybrid Service has been rebranded as VMware vCloud Air. vCloud Air is the platform for cloud services, and will bring the capabilities of our entire portfolio to market. Update your assets and learn more today. Additionally, VMware has announced the VMware vCloud Air Network which consists of vCloud Air and our global ecosystem of over 3,800 Service Providers in more than […]
- Last Chance to Sign Up for Your Partner Day Sessions at VMworld 2014 (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1285)
There are just a few days left to register online for VMworld 2014 in San Francisco, Aug. 24-28th. If you haven’t already, register now and be sure to select Partner Day taking place on Sunday, August 24th during your registration process. View/download the Partner Day agenda here. You’ll see that you will have the opportunity to […]
- New vSphere with Operations Management Customer Promos (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1282)
New customers can take advantage of the free, self-paced training with vSphere with Operations Management Enterprise or Enterprise Plus Acceleration Kits until September 15, 2014. Existing customers can reap the benefits of more management functionality by taking advantage of the promotional per-CPU pricing (valid until December 15, 2014) and move up to the vCenter Operations […]
- Now Available – Cloud Automation Accelerator Service R1.1.1 (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1280)This release includes guidance on the deployment and configuration of Orchestrator with a vCloud Automation Center environment. This service is also now available as a SKU (CON-VCL-AUTACL) in the price book, which includes the full scope of the offering.
- Now Available – Cloud Automation Design and Deploy Service R1.2.1 (http://blogs.vmware.com/partnernews/?p=1277)This release includes updates to support PSO planning to deploy Cloud Automation solutions within a virtualized environment. It includes guidance on deployment and configuration – including installation and configuration of the plug-in – of Orchestrator within a vCloud Automation Center environment.
- Delivering Cost Efficient Virtual Desktops solution (http://blogs.vmware.com/tap/?p=904)Delivering Cost Efficient Virtual Desktops solution with VMware Horizon and NetApp All-Flash FAS storage Over the last few years desktop virtualization deployments have been ramping up across various industry verticals from few 100 users to several 1000 users. To help you ensure risk free deployments with best in class user experience & achieve faster ROI, […]
- The Partner Guide to VMworld 2014 & Partner Day US (http://blogs.vmware.com/partner/?p=2110)VMworld 2014 and Partner Day, taking place in San Francisco, start on Sunday, August 24, 2014. In preparation for your arrival to San Francisco, we’ve included some key information to assist you in your planning. We want to ensure you have all of the insider information needed to have a successful week. Listed below are […]
- Top 4 Things for SMBs to Do at VMworld (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=2984)With hundreds of unique sessions at VMworld, plus a wealth of Hands-on Labs, networking groups, and other activities, there’s no limit to what you can learn and share at VMworld. But with so many choices, you might have a hard time choosing the activity that’s right for you and your SMB IT needs. Fortunately, VMworld […]
- Top 5 Sessions for SMBs that You Can’t Miss at VMworld (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=2974)VMworld is only 3 days away, and we’re excited to offer a rich array of sessions designed just for SMBs to help you get the most of virtualization. You’ll find sessions for every skill level, led by VMware technical experts. Our wide variety of VMworld sessions are designed to align with your specific interests and […]
- Get Tips and Tricks for Building a Mobile Secure Workspace (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=2968)Mobility is changing the way we work, making businesses more agile but equally making end-users more demanding. In addition, many businesses are concerned about data security, device management, and application availability. These IT concerns may sound all too familiar, but mobility brings a new twist: user platforms are changing, too. Gartner predicts Android shipments will […]
- VMworld Customer Panel: Going Beyond Server Virtualization (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=2962)As a VMware SMB customer, you know how growing businesses everywhere can benefit from server consolidation. You’re a part of the 70 percent of small and midsized businesses worldwide that are virtualized. And that number is growing every day. But, server virtualization is just the first step. At our VMworld customer panel, “Going Beyond Server […]
- Financial Services Blog & VMworld! (http://blogs.vmware.com/bankinyourcloud/?p=52)Hello & Welcome to the Financial Services blog: Bank in Your Cloud As a quick introduction, my name is Shane C. Hage. I am a VMware Staff Technical Account Manager. In 2007, I joined VMware from Microsoft where I was a Senior Technical Account Manager in their Financial Services Group. Beyond the usual technology certifications […]
- A recipe for success (http://vmwareemeablog.com/uk/?p=1074)Ferran Adria is probably the best-known cook in the world, … Read More
- External Bloggers
- VMware / ecosystem / industry news flash… part 1 (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15257)I did these startup news flash newsletters for a long time and it kind of died down. Reason for it being that it felt like I missed out on updates of companies who were way beyond the stage of being a startup, which is a shame. I do feel there is a need, or there […] " VMware / ecosystem / industry news flash… part 1 " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via Pearson today!
- Vendors to check out at VMworld… (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=15234)While I was making a list of companies to visit on the Solutions Exchange I figured I would share them. Cormac did so a week ago and it is an excellent list, make sure to read that one! My list is also mainly around storage, but includes some different types of solutions. SimpliVity, one of […] " Vendors to check out at VMworld… " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB. Pre-order my upcoming book Essential Virtual SAN via Pearson today!
- VMware Virtual SAN Sizing Tool (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36180)There is new Online utility which assists in design considerations and automates the storage sizing calculations for VSAN clusters. The utility gathers requirements in order to give you as an output a full detailed specifications. The process is done in two steps: Step1: You need to enter your VMs characteristics – size of VMDK, number of [...] Read the full post VMware Virtual SAN Sizing Tool at ESX Virtualization .
- How-to Monitor VMware VSAN with a VMware VSAN Observer – New PDF (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36133)There is a new whitepaper provide by VMware which teaches you how to monitor VMware VSAN with a VMware VSAN Observer. It’s a utility which is baked in with vCenter server (since 5.5 U1) and which allows to dig deep into VSAN’s performance, see the IOPS, latency, Outstanding I/Os and congestions etc… It’s quite complex [...] Read the full post How-to Monitor VMware VSAN with a VMware VSAN Observer – New PDF at ESX Virtualization .
- Atlantis USX 2.0 – The New Hyper-Converged Leader? (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36115)Atlantis computing just announced Atlantis USX 2.0 which brings some quite unique capabilities. If you don’t know Atlantis computing than you should read my article about diskless VDI architecture from Atlantis computing, which is another product they do – Fastest Virtual Desktop Experience – Atlantis ILIO Persistent VDI 4.0 – desktops running in RAM. (BTW, [...] Read the full post Atlantis USX 2.0 – The New Hyper-Converged Leader? at ESX Virtualization .
- Configuring IP Pools – What are vSphere IP pools for? (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=30151)Configuring IP pools is easy. IP pools were first introduced with vSphere 4, but they’re not necessarily used by everyone. IP pools are necessary if you want create or deploy a vApp. They provide a network identity to vApps. IP pool gives a network config to VMs that run in the vApp. So you’ll also [...] Read the full post Configuring IP Pools – What are vSphere IP pools for? at ESX Virtualization .
- 3 Free Videos To Get Started With PowerShell (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=36065)Veeam has created Free Videos to get started with Powershell. Those videos which are 4 h in total helps to get started with PowerShell. Each video provides not only the video, but also link to presentation (PDF), the PowerShell code used in those videos and cheat sheet. It’s an excellent way to get started. There is also [...] Read the full post 3 Free Videos To Get Started With PowerShell at ESX Virtualization .
- vBeers Tweetup – VMworld San Francisco 2014 (Saturday, 23th August 2014) (http://www.simonlong.co.uk/blog/?p=5073)VMworld San Francisco is almost here again folks and it’s time for another vBeers Tweetup! The last vBeers Tweetup from VMworld SF 2013 was a great time with a great turnout so I couldn’t let this opportunity go by without arranging another one. The official vBeers tweetup goes from strength to strength and increases in […] " vBeers Tweetup – VMworld San Francisco 2014 (Saturday, 23th August 2014) " originally appeared on The SLOG . - Follow Simon Long on Twitter: @SimonLong_ …
- Graphics Acceleration In Horizon View Virtual Desktops (http://www.simonlong.co.uk/blog/?p=5068)A quick heads-up about an update to a my My First Published Technical White Paper. The paper talks about the following topics: Why 3D Matters for VMware Horizon View Understanding the Differences Between Soft 3D/SVGA, vDGA and vSGA Prerequisites Application Requirements and Use Cases vSGA Installation vDGA Installation (Tech Preview) VMware Horizon View Pool Configuration […] " Graphics Acceleration In Horizon View Virtual Desktops " originally appeared on The SLOG . - Follow Simon Long on…
- VMware acquires CloudVolumes (http://www.vmguru.nl/?p=13166)Yesterday VMware announced the acquisition of CloudVolumes, a product which enable real-time desktop application delivery. Delivering desktop applications to users, especially in Windows environments, can be very challenging. Adding or removing applications based on the user context, incompatibilities or conflicts with existing apps, all problems that interfere with successful application delivery. Preventing these problems often results in complex workarounds, either through scripting or manual…
- VMworld 2014 Europe Schedule Builder Live! (http://www.vmguru.nl/?p=13106)The VMworld 2014 Europe Schedule builder is Live! It offers access to over 115 technical and content-rich sessions and labs. Covering the latest in virtualization innovations in the data center for storage, networking, security, management, workforce mobility and hybrid cloud services. You’ll also have the opportunity to connect and network with other IT professionals and experts. I currently see over 384 sessions to choose from! There are four tracks around: End-User Computing, Hybrid Cloud, Software…
- Untangle the mess! Network issues with VMware VMs (http://www.vmguru.nl/?p=13088)In the last couple of weeks my colleagues and I encountered several issues with virtual machines in relation to network configurations. These issues where relatively easy to fix but I wanted to write them down for myself and share them with you all. Problems first arose when we started vMotioning and/or rebooting newly deployed Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machines on ESXi 5.1 The network configuration of Windows would just reset to DHCP instead of the static address we assigned to it. The second issue…
- Nutanix 4.1 Features Overview (Beyond Marketing) – Part 1 (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=6544)
Today Nutanix announced the first part of a multi-month announcement for NOS 4.1. This release is mostly focused on enhancements for the areas of resiliency, security, disaster recovery, analytics, supportability and management. However, even being a ‘dot’ release, NOS 4.1 delivers very important features, and in my option this version has enough meat to actually even … Continue reading »
- VMware vCenter Operations Manager and Pure Storage Rest API (http://www.2vcps.com/?p=1835)I was playing with the REST API and Powershell in order to provision vSphere Datastores. I started to think what else could we do with all the cool information we get from the Pure Storage REST API? I remembered some really cool people here and here had used the open HTTP Post adapter. So I […]
- So Long vCloud Hybrid Service, Hello vCloud Air! (http://vmwaretips.com/wp/?p=2496)In a stunning turn of events VMware has ditched the vCloud Hybrid Service name for a shorter, simpler, to the point name of vCloud Air. vCloud Air will be everything that vCloud Hybrid Service was, it’ll just be less words to type. However, the term “Air” will also become a brand suffix for many other [...]
- VMworld 2014 Itinerary (http://vmwaretips.com/wp/?p=2417)“Turn Down for What?!” That’s pretty much how the week goes at VMworld, and here we are, encroaching on what will be my 11th VMworld conference. It’s a week full of education, networking, giveaways, fun and opportunity! VMworld really packs it all in, and I’m proud to be part of it again this year. Below is [...]
- VMware KB Digest – New KB articles published for week ending 8/16/14 (http://vmwaretips.com/wp/?p=2414)In our effort to provide our viewers with up to the minute information on VMware related news and topics, we’re posting the following list of new KB Entries for this week, direct from VMware Support. My VMware How to view your My VMware profile (2086265) Date Published: 8/15/2014 How to update your My VMware profile [...]
- VCENTER SERVER 5.5 REBUILD (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4775)This guest post is by Steven Kang who blogs at ssbkang.com, where you can find his back catalogue of posts. Find out more about the guest blogger program here. INTRODUCTION I’ve worked on rebuilding a vCenter server due to one of the services failing to start and in this blog post, I will try and […]
- #vBrownBag Follow-Up Virtualizing Exchange w Matt Liebowitz (@mattliebowitz) & Joe Hoegler (@joehoegler) (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4771)
Joe Hoegler, Microsoft Exchange 2010 and 2013 Microsoft Certified Master and Matt Liebowitz, author of Virtualizing Microsoft Business Critical Applications on VMware vSphere and Virtualization Discipline Lead with EMC join the #vBrownBag to discuss considerations for virtualizing Microsoft Exchange 2013. They cover real world example as well as Microsoft best practices and supported configurations. Video […]
- #vBrownBag Follow-Up OpenDaylight SDN with Kyle Mestery (@mestery) and Chris Wright (@kernelcdub) (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4754)
OpenDaylight is a open source collaborative project that aims to speed up the development and adoption of Software Defined Networking. In this broadcast, Kyle Mestery and Chris Wright provide a detailed introduction to the project, its goals and the features offered by the current and future releases. OpenDaylight is comprised of a number of components […]
- The great APAC Storage Debate (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4759)
Here in the ANZ region we are known for trying anything new. Starting this week the APAC vBrownBag podcast is going to host the Storage Debate. Each episode I will propose a controversial idea about storage in enterprise IT and two teams of storage experts will tell us why the idea is right or wrong. […]