From the editors virtual desk
Hi everyone and welcome to another edition of the VMware newsletter. It has been another very busy week for me. I am very focused with my customer on upgrades to vSphere 5.5 still which is taking a fair amount of my time. I am also doing some work again on ITBM. I was hoping to go on VCAC (vCloud Automation Center) training however my schedule is just too full to accommodate this which is a pity because I think that with the upcoming projects at my customers this will gain more of a focus this year. I hope to be able to do at least some additional work on my now on this solution and see how far I can get.
I hope that your week has been productive and you are looking forward to an even better week to come.
Please remember to VOTE for your favourite VMworld sessions by going to www.vmworld.com. It only takes a few minutes to sign up and there are many benefits of being on this website. You can of course also vote for my session if you wish, it can be found by filtering on a keyword and entering in my surname.
Have a great week everyone.
Senior Technical Account Manager
Local Events (BRISBANE)
Local Training Classes
VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V5.5] 26-30 May
VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.5] 02-06 Jun
VMware Horizon View: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.2] 10-13 Jun
- VMware Cloud Ops Blog: 5 Ways Cloud Automation Drives Greater Cost and Operational Transparency (http://blogs.vmware.com/cloudops/?p=911)By Kevin Lees There has always been tension between IT teams and their end customers — not the good kind of tension, but rather the contentious kind that rarely ends well. It breaks down like this: IT never believes it has enough time, resources, or money; and the line of business (LOB) really doesn’t understand what they want. On the other side, the LOB is rarely happy with IT because response times aren’t fast enough or IT is missing the mark with its capabilities. This tension leads to…
- VMware for Small-Medium Business Blog: Three Things Your Old Version of vSphere Doesn’t Do (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=2800)If you’re using VMware vSphere for virtualization (which you really should be doing), you know what it’s like to leverage the world’s leading virtualization platform. Consolidation ratios of 15:1 or more. Dramatically lower IT costs. Greater IT agility. The list of vSphere benefits goes on and on. And now I’m going to tell you that vSphere alone isn’t enough. Why? Because there are three essential capabilities that vSphere doesn’t give you: performance monitoring, risk analysis, and capacity…
- VMwareTV: VMware vCloud Hybrid Service Standard Storage Tier (tag:youtube.com,2008:video:AfRNx5U2UBI)VMware vCloud Hybrid Service Standard Storage Tier David Hill, Technical Architect for vCloud Hybrid Service, provides a quick overview on the new storage option, Standard Storage, from vCloud Hybrid Service.The video walks the viewer through... From: VMware Views: 160 1 ratings Time: 06:25 More in Science & Technology
- VMwareTV: VMware vCloud Hybrid Service Strategy: Extend Your Data Center to the Cloud (tag:youtube.com,2008:video:HrnEICbWw38)VMware vCloud Hybrid Service Strategy: Extend Your Data Center to the Cloud With VMware vCloud Hybrid Service you can connect your on-premises applications and private cloud with the public cloud using the tools and processes you already have. Learn how VMware will... From: VMware Views: 13 0 ratings Time: 08:11 More in Science & Technology
- VMwareTV: Leadership Perspectives: Carl Eschenbach, Part 1 (tag:youtube.com,2008:video:mzN10oDWE8o)Leadership Perspectives: Carl Eschenbach, Part 1 In Part One of a two-part series, Carl Eschenbach, President and Chief Operating Officer talks about changes he's seen in the tech industry throughout his career, VMware's opportunity in the... From: VMware Views: 13 0 ratings Time: 02:40 More in Science & Technology
- VMware Company Blog: Leadership Perspectives: Carl Eschenbach, Part One (http://blogs.vmware.com/vmware/?p=2518)In the third of a series of leadership perspectives videos, Carl Eschenbach, president and chief operating officer at VMware, discusses changes he’s seen in the tech industry throughout his career, VMware’s opportunity in the next 12-24 months, and recent acquisitions and how they fit into VMware’s strategy. Check out the video to hear more about Carl’s take on these […]
- VMware Network Virtualization Blog: VMware NSX Runs Great on VCE Vblock Systems (http://blogs.vmware.com/networkvirtualization/?p=1348)Last week at EMC World in Las Vegas, one of the industry’s best offerings in converged infrastructure was on display. The adoption of converged infrastructure is becoming increasingly common in many organizations. In fact, research estimates that the total addressable market for converged infrastructure will reach $402B by 2017. Companies are taking advantage of converged infrastructure to accelerate cloud and software-defined data center deployments. Converged infrastructure is used by IT organizations…
- VMTN Blog: VMware Communities Roundtable Podcast 277 – Live from @EMCworld (http://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/?p=8418)Hosts John Mark Troyer, VMware @jtroyer Guests Matt Cowger, EMC @mcowger News VMware vCloud Hybrid Service – Disaster Recovery, Available Now, Seamlessly Extends Disaster Recovery to the Public Cloud EMC World – May 5 – 8 FREE Book Excerpt: Networking for VMware Administrators Have a question about hybrid cloud? Ask us anything on May 19th! VMware Recognized as a Visionary in Data Center Networking Magic Quadrant NSX Vision: Validated! On Leaving VMware and Creating a New IT Community –…
- VMware Education & Certification Blog: New VCAP5-DCD Exam Available on vSphere 5.5 (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4101)We have released a new exam to qualify candidates for the VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD) Certification. This new exam (exam code VDCD550) is based on vSphere v5.5, where the existing exam (exam code VDCD510) is based on vSphere 5.0/5.1. Passing either of these exams will earn VCAP 5-DCD certification if you have also met the pre-requisites. Learn more about the new exam and download the blueprint.
- VMware vCloud Blog: The Future is Hybrid: theCUBE interview with Mathew Lodge at EMC World (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=3551)The excitement of EMC World 2014 and recent Pivotal CF news has created significant buzz around VMware vCloud Hybrid Service and its potential for accelerating the adoption of public cloud and hybrid cloud in the enterprise. When it comes to virtualization within enterprise data centers, VMware has its game on lock. Now we’re looking to advance IT even more by helping our enterprise customers use the public cloud with an infrastructure that matches their existing architectures and data location. This…
- VMwareTV: vCAC Automated Provisioning with VMware NSX (tag:youtube.com,2008:video:R51eo5OiHCk)vCAC Automated Provisioning with VMware NSX This video explains how VMware vCloud Automation Center discovers, consumes, and provisions VMware security and network services. From: VMware Views: 2 0 ratings Time: 07:13 More in Science & Technology
- VMware End User Computing: ThinApp 5.0.1: Minor release number, but notable features! (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=5779)By Tina de Benedictis, Senior Technical Marketing Manager, End-User Computing, VMware VMware ThinApp 5.0.1 has just been released, and although this is a minor release number, some new features will make a difference in your application-packaging life. Package.ini parameters now case-insensitive Have you ever set a value for a Package.ini parameter, only to find out after much troubleshooting that it did not take effect because you did not copy the exact capitalization for the parameter? Well, no longer…
- VMware vCloud Blog: Failing Over a Public Web Server To vCloud Hybrid Service Disaster Recovery (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=3547)By Chris Colotti As we all know a few weeks ago we released VMware vCloud Hybrid Service Disaster Recovery. Since then a few different questions have come up, including how to run supporting infrastructure. We’ve also posted a number of Tutorial Videos on the service to help get people started. One thing that came up the other day was someone asking about failing over a public website on premises to vCloud Hybrid Service Disaster Recovery. I explained it verbally, but I figured it was easier to…
- VMware Company Blog: EMC World 2014: It’s a Wrap (http://blogs.vmware.com/vmware/?p=2515)Whether or not you were at EMC World this year, one thing is clear – the software-defined datacenter is the “Future of IT.” There were several announcements coming out of the show this year, including news that Pivotal and VMware will now deliver enterprise-class hybrid PaaS and SAP HANA is now supported on VMware vSphere […]
- VMware for Small-Medium Business Blog: Top 4 Reasons Why Visibility and Control Are Key to Virtualization (http://blogs.vmware.com/smb/?p=2794)Organizations invest in virtualization for all the right reasons—things like lowering IT costs, improving utilization rates, and increasing IT agility. But when you invest in virtualization, how can you be sure you are you getting the maximum value from your investments? Answer: Make sure you incorporate operations management capabilities into your VMware vSphere solution. This is what you get when you deploy vSphere with Operations Management. It gives you the performance and reliability of the…
- VMware Virtualization Management Blog: vCAC and NSX – Dynamically Configure Application Specific Network Services (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=3634)by Rich Bourdeau Can you deliver a secure, scalable and high performing application on demand? Applications need much more than the appropriately sized virtual machines. They also need networks configured with appropriate connectivity, security, availability, scale, and performance. In order to deliver these capabilities to your applications you will need to automate more of the network configuration than just assigning IP address, DNS entries and LAN assignments to the virtual machines that host…
- VMwareTV: VMware vCloud Hybrid Service - Overview Animation (tag:youtube.com,2008:video:7pdugFXAQtM)VMware vCloud Hybrid Service - Overview Animation See how vCloud Hybrid Service can help you simplify and transform IT in this short 2-minute animation. You can scale as you grow without constructing IT and you can leverage your existing investmen... From: VMware Views: 20 0 ratings Time: 02:14 More in Science & Technology
- VMware vCloud Blog: Have a question about hybrid cloud? Ask us anything on May 19th! (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=3543)RSVP HERE ! The future of cloud computing — the hybrid cloud — is here. For most organizations, the challenge is preserving and extending their IT investments while taking advantage of the agility and flexibility that public cloud provides. Hybrid cloud promises the best of both worlds, making the delivery of existing and new applications faster and simpler. With new advances in technology come new concepts, features and benefits for users. It also brings new questions, and we’re here to answer…
- VMware Company Blog: SAP HANA on vSphere: More Proof Points on the Path to the Software-Defined Data Center (http://blogs.vmware.com/vmware/?p=2511)By Mark Chuang, Senior Director – vSphere Last week, VMware and SAP jointly announced that SAP HANA is now supported on VMware vSphere 5.5, the foundation of the VMware vCloud® Suite. This means that vSphere is the first and only hypervisor certified to run SAP HANA in production either on-premises or in the cloud. SAP […]
- VMware Hands On Labs Blog: Back up ! Uplanned Maintenance – (Extra large fingers at work) (http://blogs.vmware.com/hol/?p=962)Many thanks to our OneCloud guys – service is back up and humming along – please let us know if you run into any issue… Thanks VMware Hands-on Labs Team Folks, We are experiencing some unplanned downtime this morning – we were migrating our storage over and ran into some issues with the size of our fingers (fat fingers) Will keep you guys posted on updates – the guys are working hard to get the service back up and appreciate your patience.. Please follow us on twitter for short message…
- VMware vCloud Blog: Updates to the VMware Service Provider Program (VSPP) (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=3538)The VMware Service Provider Program (VSPP) was created to help enable our partners to successfully deliver cloud computing solutions based on VMware technology to customers across the world. VMware offers the greatest choice of cloud deployment platforms in the industry today through the combination of our VMware vCloud Service Provider Partners and vCloud Hybrid Service. Because of the rapid growth and success of vCloud Service Providers and consequently the VSPP program in the past year, we’re happy to…
- VMware Virtualization Management Blog: vCenter Operations Management Tech Tips: Tip #36 – vCloud OvDC Admin vCOps Custom Dashboard – Part 4 (http://blogs.vmware.com/management/?p=3641)In the third part of this series we’ve created the vCloud Resource Kind performance Super Metrics needed for the OvDC Admin Custom Dashboard. As a cloud provider you are required to some level of SLA against your customers. It’s not all about resources performance but it is also the fact that you need to give them a way to control resource consuming. vCloud Director offers 3 OvDC resource allocation models: Pay-As-You-Go, Allocation Pool and Reservation Pool. No matter which one you will go with,…
- VMware vCloud Blog: Discover the Power of Hybrid Cloud! vCloud Hybrid Service is coming to the Big Apple on 6/5, Join us! (http://blogs.vmware.com/vcloud/?p=3529)Last year, we expanded our U.S. vCloud Hybrid Service data center footprint to include four datacenter locations. Since then, we’ve continued to grow and advance our hybrid cloud offering, announcing the launch of vCloud Hybrid Service – Disaster Recovery , a solution that makes disaster recovery simple and affordable for businesses, as well as the next version of Data Protection , a new tier of storage and our collaboration with Pivotal CF to deliver the first enterprise-class hybrid PaaS. Today,…
- VMware Education & Certification Blog: Just Like Winning an Oscar: VMware Certified Instructor of Quarter Announced (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4118)And the envelope, please! The Oscar goes to… There may not be any red carpets, limos, or long speeches thanking parents and agents, but the VMware Certified Instructor (VCI) of the quarter award is just as prestigious as an Oscar win in our world. This is a quarterly recognition awarded to VCIs for outstanding and inspiring contributions to VMware Education. The Americas and Europe & Middle East winners identified for the period of January to March 2014 are Miguel Molina from Brazil and Hussam…
- VMware Accelerate: 5 Tactics Leading IT Organizations Use to Realize the Promise of Business Capabilities (http://blogs.vmware.com/accelerate/?p=1992)by Barton Kaplan Almost every IT executive I speak to these days is actively working toward becoming a service provider, and for good reason. VMware survey data  indicate that the benefits can be powerful. IT as a service organizations are 37 percent more responsive to requests, invest 50 percent of their budgets in innovation and realize operational cost savings of 30 percent, among other benefits. But a necessary prerequisite to achieve this status is good IT-business alignment. In order for business…
- VMware End User Computing: An Update on VMware Horizon DaaS (http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/?p=5770)By Josue Fontanez, product line marketing manager for Horizon DaaS, End-User Computing, VMware The buzz around DaaS has been amazing as of late…with good reason. End-users are more mobile than ever before so organizations need to modernize their desktops to meet their demands for access to corporate content using any device, anytime, anywhere. Customers get the benefit of VDI on-premises, without having to manage the back-end VDI infrastructure. They can scale on-demand in a snap and drastically reduce…
- VMware Company Blog: Weekly News Recap, May 9 (http://blogs.vmware.com/vmware/?p=2507)VMware News In VMware news this week, Pat Gelsinger on Tuesday delivered a keynote speech at EMC World along with Pivotal CEO Paul Maritz. Announcements coming out of the show include news that Pivotal and VMware will now deliver enterprise-class hybrid PaaS and SAP HANA is now supported on VMware vSphere 5.5 for production scenarios. […]
- VMware Education & Certification Blog: Question of the Week: (vCenter Server) (http://blogs.vmware.com/education/?p=4110)This week’s question comes from the VCP5- Data Center Virtualization practice exam . a) vSphere Update Manager b) vSphere Client c) vSphere Web Client Click through to the comments for the answer and learn more here . Follow @VMwareEducation on Instagram to see more #TechTrivia every Friday and visual updates from the VMware Education and Certification community.
- VMware Consulting Blog: Using Secondary Management Network for vSphere Replication (http://blogs.vmware.com/consulting/?p=1440)By Sunny Dua, Enterprise Solution Architect, VMware Professional Services I have written a lot about vSphere Replication best practices. This time, I want to share an experience of implementing SRM and vSphere Replication in a brownfield virtual infrastructure. As we all know, vSphere Replication uses the management interface for the ESXi servers to send the replication traffic to the DR site vSphere Replication Appliance. It is important that we understand the network flow clearly before diving deeply…
- HDFS – which particular implementation do I pick? (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/05/hdfs-which-particular-implementation-do-i-pick.html)HDFS is becoming the “underlying strata” in the data fabric for many new applications. We’re all over it here at EMC, but it means we have 3 current answers when a customer says “I want infrastructure to support HDFS” (and...
- Hadoop Starter Kit ViPR Edition (with more goodness!) (http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2014/05/hadoop-starter-kit-vipr-edition-with-more-goodness.html)Folks, if you’re interested in getting started with Hadoop – to not leverage this info is insanity. The EMC Office of the CTO Integration Lab (OIL) team has cranked on great testing, documentation, code samples, and demonstrations of the leading...
- How long will VSAN rebuilding take with large drives? (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=14923)I have seen this question popping up various times now where people want to know how long VSAN rebuilding will take with large drives. And it was something that was asked on twitter as well today, and I think there are some common misconceptions out there when it comes to rebuilding. Maybe this tweet summarizes […] " How long will VSAN rebuilding take with large drives? " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB.
- VPLEX Geosynchrony 5.2 supporting up to 10ms latency with HA/DRS (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=14917)I was just informed that as of last week VPLEX Metro with Geosynchrony 5.2 has been certified for a round trip (RTT) latency up to 10ms while running HA/DRS in a vMSC solution. So far all vMSC solutions had been certified with 5ms RTT and this is a major breakthrough if you ask me. Great to […] " VPLEX Geosynchrony 5.2 supporting up to 10ms latency with HA/DRS " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB.
- Using differently sized disks in a VSAN environment (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=14910)Internally someone asked this question, and at the Italian VMUG I had someone asking me the same question… What if I want to scale out, or scale-up, and need to add differently sized disks to my existing VSAN environment? Will that be an as expensive exercise as with (some) traditional RAID systems? Some of you […] " Using differently sized disks in a VSAN environment " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB.
- Virtual Volumes vendor demos (http://www.yellow-bricks.com/?p=14903)I was at the Italian VMUG last week and one of the users asked me what Virtual Volumes would look like. He wanted to know if the experience would be similar to the “VM Storage Policy” experiences he has been having with Virtual SAN. I didn’t have an environment running capable of demonstrating Virtual SAN […] " Virtual Volumes vendor demos " originally appeared on Yellow-Bricks.com . Follow me on twitter - @DuncanYB.
- Gaining confidence to be an effective public speaker (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=4739)Mike Laverick sent me an email the other day to try and help him promote the VMUG Feed Forward program which is designed to help encourage new members in the community to step up and participate in VMUG events. I was a VMUG leader for several years and one of the challenges is to find [...]
- New webinar: Top 10 Tips for Surviving in a Virtualized World (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=4734)I’m doing a webinar for SolarWinds this week, the info on it is below and I hope to see you there… The role of the virtualization admin is changing. While their responsibilities to operate and manage the virtual environment continue to grow, they are also becoming the convergence point for other IT teams in the virtualized [...]
- Time to vote again… (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=4730)Not for top blog though, the VMworld 2014 session public voting has opened and I’d appreciate your consideration for my sessions. Last year I presented my “Top 10 Thing you MUST know about Storage for vSphere” session which was well attended. I’d thought I’d up the ante this year and submitted one called “50 Things [...]
- My VSAN links page has grown so big GoDaddy had to move me to a bigger server (http://vsphere-land.com/?p=4727)Well not entirely true, apparently there were so many links in one post that every time I edited it and added more it triggered GoDaddy’s security mechanism’s that lookout for spam and malicious behavior. I use their Linux hosted plan for this site and they use ModSecurity, an open source firewall as their security platform. [...]
- VMworld 2014 Justification Email (http://www.boche.net/blog/?p=4932)I couldn’t find a 2014 version on the vmworld.com website so I resurrected a 2010 copy I had saved on my network (I’m not claiming to be the original author – I think this came from Troyer or someone in VMware or maybe the vCommunity) and I made a few updates. I’m sharing the .PDF [...] Post from: boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist Copyright (c) 2010 Jason Boche. The contents of this post may not be reproduced or republished on another web page or web site without prior written…
- Technology Short Take #41 (http://blog.scottlowe.org/?p=3452)This is Technology Short Take #41, another in my irregularly-published series of links and articles from around the web. This article was originally posted on blog.scottlowe.org . Visit the site for more information on virtualization, servers, storage, and other enterprise technologies. Technology Short Take #41
- Configuring Database Servers for Optimal Performance (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=3581) Your database is just an extension of your storage. Many of you may have heard me say this before in presentations, such as at VMworld or a VMUG. Understanding this concept is the first step on the way to configuring your database servers for optimal performance. This is true regardless if the databases are […]
- SAP HANA on VMware vSphere Now with Full Production Support (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=3542)A few days ago VMware and SAP jointly announced full production support for SAP HANA on VMware vSphere. This is a major milestone and I know both VMware and SAP have put in a lot of effort to get to this point. This is the culmination of three years of testing and benchmarking by VMware […]
- Oracle Licensing and Support on Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=3545)I’ve written quite a bit about Oracle virtualization in the past, as you can find on my Oracle Page. Now that I’m working with Nutanix I thought it was time to write about the topic of Oracle Licensing and Support on the Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform. This article will take you through the highlights that […]
- The Gotcha with vFRC and vCenter 5.5 (http://longwhiteclouds.com/?p=3537)vFlash Read Cache (vFRC)is a feature of vSphere 5.5 that can accelerate the read IO of VM’s by leveraging server side flash resources form an SSD or PCIe Flash card. This can help offload reads so your (legacy) storage can be used more efficiently and also so you can consolidate more VM’s per host without […]
- Web Commander 3.0 for VMware (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=34847)VMware free fling utility called Web Commander 3.0 has been recently updated. The default UI presents objects, which are PowerCLI/PowerShell objects for interacting with AD, Horizon View Broker, Guest VMs and (or) vSphere actions like add/remove/start/stop for VMs. Also you can take snapshots or rename VMs. Web Commander is a web based interface to provide […] Read the full post Web Commander 3.0 for VMware at ESX Virtualization . Featured : Latest VMware vSphere Editions
- Which Tool to use for cloning ESXi on USB stick (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=34811)I was seeking the other day for an utility which would allow me to create an exact copy of an USB key with VMware ESXi installed. To clone ESXi installed on USB stick to another USB. I looked through the internet and tried a freeware utility that did not work (ImageUSB), but then stumbled across Clonezilla which […] Read the full post Which Tool to use for cloning ESXi on USB stick at ESX Virtualization . Featured : Latest VMware vSphere Editions
- StarWind® Virtual SAN™ is available (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=34801)Starwind Software has a new version of their flagship software - StarWind® Virtual SAN™ v8.0. The product is available for both virtualization platforms. VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V. I already blogged about the features that are present in this version, but I quickly recap: Massive Scale-Out storage architecture Creates fault tolerant shared storage with unlimited number of […] Read the full post StarWind® Virtual SAN™ is available at ESX Virtualization . Featured : Latest VMware…
- VMware vSphere Performance – New Book (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=34782)New book has just been published – VMware vSphere Performance. The authors are well known in VMware virtualization communities – Matt Liebowitz, Christopher Kusek, Rynardt Spies. I looked into the content on Amazon. A test lab design is there. How and why to design a test lab and which tools to use for capacity planning, […] Read the full post VMware vSphere Performance – New Book at ESX Virtualization . Featured : Latest VMware vSphere Editions
- My VSAN journey – all done! (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=34758)Another VSAN homelab is born! After waiting some time for more SSDs, Infiniband cables and Perc H310 storage controller cards from eBay, now when all the pieces has arrived I’m able to put everything together and run my VMware VSAN cluster. I expanded my older hosts with internal storage (previously there was a shared storage […] Read the full post My VSAN journey – all done! at ESX Virtualization . Featured : Latest VMware vSphere Editions
- 5 Myths about VDP advanced – see yourself (http://www.vladan.fr/?p=34747)VMware has published an article on vSphere SMB blog concerning VDP advanced (VDPA) – an advanced backup solution from VMware. The product follows per CPU licensing model and offers 8TB of deduplicated backup capacity. There are apparently some myths around which are explained in the article. One of them is agentless vs with-agent approach for […] Read the full post 5 Myths about VDP advanced – see yourself at ESX Virtualization . Featured : Latest VMware vSphere Editions
- Free eBooks from Microsoft Press (http://techhead.co/?p=7865)Microsoft have available a handful of free-to-download ebooks which provide an introduction and information on some of their enterprise and development products, such as Windows Server, Azure, .NET, etc. Some of these ebooks don’t contain the same level of technical detail that you’d usually find in your average IT manual (although some of these ebooks, […] The post Free eBooks from Microsoft Press appeared first on TechHead and was written by Simon Seagrave . Why not take a look at my other…
- Data Locality matters… a LOT! See this video demo. (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=6335)Nutanix utilizes a shared-nothing distributed architecture and it ensures data is always replicated across Flash, HDD, Nodes and Blocks for high availability. A VM may access data from anywhere on a Nutanix cluster, but Nutanix controllers (CVM) will always ensure that overtime active data blocks that belong to a VM are present in the host … Continue reading »
- 1177 Ask the Expert Storage Kingpins – VMWorld Vote (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=6331)Rick Scherer kindly submitted a Ask the Experts session for VMworld 2014. If approved, this will be the 7th time that Ask the Experts is part of the VMworld agenda. This time Ask the Experts is back with an awesome panel of the industry’s top storage vendors. In Rick’s own words, “In this session there are no powerpoints, no sales … Continue reading »
- VDI meets Hyper-Convergence and Web-Scale in APAC Next Week (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=6317) Crazy schedule ahead of me! Next week I will be in APAC presenting the seminars “Simplifying your VDI without compromise” and “VDI meets Hyper-Convergence and WebScale“. Cities include Auckland, Melbourne, Sydney and Tokyo. If you have not yet registered, please do because RSVP is required. See dates below. Links for … Continue reading »
- Is Hyper-Converged faster than SAN? (http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=6315)I am sure this is one of those topics that often create heated debates between defendants from both sides of the industry. I work for Nutanix, a hyper-converged platform; therefore you might say I am biased. That’s fine, but I tell you that I will try to stick to the value of each platform and … Continue reading »
- #vBrownBag Follow-Up Networking for VMware Administrators with Chris Wahl (@chriswahl) (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4499)Chris Wahl joins the #vBrownBag to cover several chapters from his new book including the differences between physical and virtual networking, the differences between VMware vSphere standard and distributed switches and some design considerations around the use of each. Video You can find Chris on Twitter @chriswahl, his blog http://www.wahlnetwork.com and his new book – […]
- #vBrownBag Follow-Up Cisco Learning Network Tour with Matt Saunders (@citylifematt) & Brett Lovins (@brettlovins) (http://professionalvmware.com/?p=4495)Brett Lovins and Matt Saunders kick off the #vBrownBag Cisco Certification series with an overview and tour of the Cisco Learning Network – an online community to connect you with learning resources such blueprints, course details and support from others who are working on their Cisco Certifications. Video You can sign up for the Cisco […]
- Redhat is in the Dog Box - But Should They Be? (tag:blogger.com,1999:blog-5819640694385843490.post-3262381013898622074)One topic of discussion that surfaced during the summit today was an article published on the WSJ yesterday Red Hat Plays Hardball on OpenStack Software – and shortly thereafter Barb Darrow published this one - Is Red Hat the new Oracle? Here... This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more!..
- Icehouse/Juno OpenStack Summit 2014 (tag:blogger.com,1999:blog-5819640694385843490.post-8047961791958715976)I am finally on my way to the OpenStack Summit in Atlanta. (Full schedule online) there might be some confusion about if this is the Icehouse Summit or the Juno summit – well I think it is safe to say that it is a bit of both. Icehouse is the... This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more!..
- Changing the vCenter Graphs to Microsecond (http://www.2vcps.com/?p=1740)So if you are moving your data center to the next generation of Flash Storage you may have noticed your performance charts in VMware vCenter or other tools look something like this. You start to think, what good is the millisecond scale in a microsecond world? (I know that screenshot is from vCOPS.) Luckily VMware […]
- vCAC Error Connecting to vCO API - Fixed (http://kendrickcoleman.com/index.php/Tech-Blog/vcac-error-connecting-to-vco-api-fixed.html)I had a problem where my vCAC environment could no longer talk to my vCO APIs. I constantly have to turn off vCAC and bring it back up because of resource constraints in my home lab. For some reason I just thought the services weren't coming up and I realized no amount of reboots were going to fix it. The error was: You cannot perform that action because the system cannot connect to the provider at https://vcac-appliance.kendrickcoleman.c0m:8281/vco/api/. A quick google search led me to…
- VMware KB Digest – New KB articles published for week ending 5/10/14 (http://vmwaretips.com/wp/?p=2336)In our effort to provide our viewers with up to the minute information on VMware related news and topics, we’re posting the following list of new KB Entries for this week, direct from VMware Support. VMware ESXi Network errors when PXE booting Citrix virtual machines (2074865) Date Published: 5/7/2014 Virtual machine might lose VMXNET 3 [...]
- Threat and risk assessment (http://www.v-wiki.net/?p=585)In today’s modern world, the task of threat and risk assessment is based on prior experience and history. It is human nature to be limited in our imagination by prior experience. When identifying the threats to your business and systems, you need to have an imagination on the possibilities that could happen. Threat and Risk […] The post Threat and risk assessment appeared first on Virtual Wiki .
- My VCAP5-DCD experience (http://www.v-wiki.net/?p=590)Last week I sat the VMware Certified Advanced Professional exam for Datacentre Design, and I wanted to share my VCAP5-DCD experience. Firstly, I need to point out that my final score was 290. The pass mark is 300 out of 500, so I was very close to passing. I plan on re-taking the exam so […] The post My VCAP5-DCD experience appeared first on Virtual Wiki .
- Business Impact Analysis questionnaire template (http://www.v-wiki.net/?p=564)One of the first steps in preparing for a Business Continuity Plan and developing a Disaster Recovery Plan is to first identify the impact that your business would experience as the result of a disaster. Engage with senior management (as this process takes up considerable time and needs focus and attention to be worthwhile), prepare […] The post Business Impact Analysis questionnaire template appeared first on Virtual Wiki .
The VMware Knowledge Base is kept current with frequent edits and additions. Stay up-to-date on the latest by reviewing the weekly KB digest.
Network errors when PXE booting Citrix virtual machines (2074865)
Date Published: 5/7/2014
Virtual machine might lose VMXNET 3 drivers and video drivers after you upgrade VMware Tools (2075755)
Date Published: 5/8/2014
Nimble Storage Connection service CIM Provider for ESXi 5.0 (2077724)
Date Published: 5/8/2014
VMware Horizon Workspace
Recreating the certificate for the Horizon Workspace Gateway Virtual Appliance (2047639)
Date Published: 5/9/2014
VMware IT Business Management Suite
Bullet points do not display when exporting a report from VMware IT Business Management Suite (2077784)
Date Published: 5/9/2014
VMware vCloud Automation Center
VMware vCloud Automation Center Model Manager web repository fails to start with the error: The target principal name is incorrect. Cannot generate SSPI context (2074615)
Date Published: 5/8/2014
VMware vCloud Director
CPU reservation exceeds total available resources in vCloud Director (2075393)
Date Published: 5/6/2014
DHCP and DNS entry is not created in VMware vCloud Director (2076615)
Date Published: 5/9/2014
Uploading media in VMware vCloud Director fails with error: Could not create remote resource in VDC at URL: https://xxx.yyyy.zzz.com/api/vdc/cdcbf875-f316-4e5b-9a65-de34860821d2/media” (2077401)
Date Published: 5/5/2014
VMware vFabric Hyperic Agent
VMware vCenter Hyperic Agent 5.8.1 WebSphere plugin alters the com.ibm.ws.security.crypto.jar file (2077582)
Date Published: 5/7/2014
VMware Virtual SAN
Recovering a VMware Virtual SAN cluster after a vCenter Server rebuild (2074246)
Date Published: 5/7/2014
VMware vSphere Web Services SDK
Origin and State property values of NetIpConfigInfo for Temporary IPv6 addresses in VMware vSphere Web Services SDK (2077089)
Date Published: 5/5/2014