VMware Communities
radriaanse
Contributor
Contributor

failed to lock the file cannot open the disk

Hi,

I have a problem. I just converted my physical machine (lenovo Laptop, windows 8.1), with the vmware vcenter converter standalone. Everything worked fine, no problems, no errors.

But when I want to open the file in vmware on my Ubtunu machine (a.t.m. dual-boot with win8 on the same laptop), after a while it returns the error:

Failed to lock the file

Cannot open the disk '/media/remy/WD My Book/Laptop-Remy/Laptop-Remy.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module DiskEarly power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

I don't know if has to do with Ubutntu (version 13.04), or with vmware workstation (10.0)

I hope some can help.

thanks in advantage,

remy adriaanse

36 Replies
radriaanse
Contributor
Contributor

nobody...??

I tried to virtualise my physical machine again a few times, but this doesn't matter..

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you run Workstation as admin ?

0 Kudos
radriaanse
Contributor
Contributor

yes, i'm running as admin/root. But also the error is gone. When i open the machine now, it just loads for a few secs and then returns to the main screen...

EDIT:

This only happens when running in root mode. When I re-open the program in normal mode it still gives the error

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe the vmdk(s) are still owned by root ?

0 Kudos
automart
Contributor
Contributor

You will need to verify that there are no .lck files or folders in the VM's directory.

lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Take backup of all .lk file and start VM , If not work restore from oldest one.

Take care

0 Kudos
radriaanse
Contributor
Contributor

First of all; my apologies for the late reply, I'm just back from vacation.

In the vm folder there is a folder ***.vmx.lck , I tried to backup & delete that folder, restarted added the machine, but that doesn't matter. I still can't open the machine and It automatically re-makes the vmx.lck folder.

Inside the folder:

M53809.mck

screenshot lck file vmware.png

YadiJafari
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much.

I had the same problem and I deleted those files and directory (2 *.lck) you mentioned and also all log files (4 *.log) and my machine started to work correctlly.

my problem start when I was installing some software and by mistake somebody disconnected the protable harddisk (where my virtual machines are) then problem started from there and the whole day I was trying to find any editor that I could open those files with CID errors to correct and couldn't find any until I saw your comments and did it your way and worked perfectly.

Again thank you very much.

Message was edited by: YadiJafari

brittonclair
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me too. Thank you for posting the info!

0 Kudos
benyin
Contributor
Contributor

thank you very much, you solved my problem too.

0 Kudos
ash2007
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ! This solved my problem.

I deleted( backed up ) the .lck folders after exiting the vmware and then again started it. It worked !

Thanks  automart lakshya32

0 Kudos
zaovic135
Contributor
Contributor

thaks a lot it works fine.

0 Kudos
vincentml
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks worked fine after deleting the 2 *lck directories and files plus the logs.

0 Kudos
mayoufk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

You saved my day YadiJafari....I deleted (and backed up just in case) the folders with the .lck extension. There were 3 folders and no files with this extension in my case.

I restarted my VM and it worked again correctly.

Thanks dude.

Cheers,

Mayouf.k

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

There really is no need to backup lck files or directories

0 Kudos
KAnurag
Contributor
Contributor

Yes..it worked for me as well..Thanks

0 Kudos
FTalhadas
Contributor
Contributor

I solved my problem (the same "failed to lock the file cannot open the disk'') too! Deleting all files *.logs and directories *.icks. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ToreNyberg
Contributor
Contributor

I have had a similar issue.

I could not get a win2008 server VM to start on a Mac Mini running VmWare Fusion pro 8 trial.

The Virtual machine were copied from a PC onto a USB-disk.

I copied the files from the USB-disk to my Mac Mini from where the VM would be running.

The virtual machine did not boot, giving the message:

Cannot open the disk "/path to my machine.vmdk/" or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module "Disk" power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

I deleted all .lck-files and log files from the Virtual machines folder.

Afther deletion the virtual machine booted right away.

0 Kudos
saadgoody
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me when I deleted .lck folders

0 Kudos