VMware Communities
Crasucks
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot open the disk - Failed to lock the file

I am running VMware Workstation Pro 12.5.7.

Our amazing IT department did some work on my PC and performed a Windows Shutdown while my VMware environment was open.

The results were a corrupted? virtual disk. 

I tried running vmware-diskmanager -R howevever nothing seemed to happen in the command prompt window,  A log file was also not created in the same directory.

I also downloaded and ran StarWind V2V Image Converter as mentioned in this thread, it ran successfully, yet VMware still shows an error.  I have attached the screen shot of the error.

I am disappointed VMware is so fragile on an unexpected power down, but certainly there must be a way to recover this.

Thank you very much for your help, it is urgent so let me know if this is a faster way to get help.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As a first step, please attach the VM's configuration (.vmx) file to a reply post, and provide a complete list of files in the VM's folder, i.e. the output of dir *.* /one

If a new vmware.log file was created which contains details about the issue, then attach this file to your next reply too.

André

Moderator Note: I've branched this post from Is there a way to repair VMDK file after vdiskmanager.exe says it can not be repaired?​ to a new discussion.

0 Kudos