VMware Cloud Community
dwmatt1
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Ctrl/Shift Scroll Lock Activity

This may be hidden in one of the manuals, though I couldn't find it searching for it online, but there is some weirdness going on in ESX 3.0 when you press Shift-Scroll Lock and Control-Scroll Lock. It looks like a debugging feature that hasn't been turned off (maybe a kernel magic key combination, which I don't normally configure on my Linux boxen.)

When I press Shift-Scroll Lock, I get a print-out (which I cannot scroll back through to see what is going on,) but the tail-end of the session is:

\[...]

Size-64(DMA) 0 0 128 0 0 1

Size-64 148 180 128 6 6 1

Size-32(DMA) 17 58 64 1 1 1

Size-32 504 580 64 9 10 1

When I press Ctrl-Scroll Lock, I get a print-out (which I cannot scroll back through to see what is going on,) but the tail-end of the session appears to be a process dump. Furthermore, pressing Scroll Lock from that point on, without Ctrl, yields the same result (and doesn't give you control back until you press something other than scroll lock.)

This is weird, through not a major bug. I wonder if I stumbled onto an undocumented feature (or maybe a documented feature I cannot find) or whether something else is going on. Have not checked ESX 2.0 to see if this is also true with the older versions of ESX.

0 Kudos
0 Replies