VMware Communities
nick_533
Contributor
Contributor

File transfer from Guest XP to Host XP

How to transfer ..everytime I try to go File->Map or disconnect virtual disk->Add xp.vmdk

it says error reading volume.

Please tell me how to transfer files from guest OS to host OS.

I can transfer file from host to guest without any issues.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What VMware product are you using?

Is your guest powered on or off when you are trying to do this?

Does your guest have networking enabled?

0 Kudos
nick_533
Contributor
Contributor

VM ware workstation 6.0.0

Guest is powered on with N/W enabled

0 Kudos
nick_533
Contributor
Contributor

I can cut/copy files from host desktop and paste them in guest.

but cant do vice versa

both are XP OS here

Message was edited by:

nick_533

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, you cannot map a drive to your host if the guest is powered on and writing to it... you WILL corrupt data.

If the guest is powered on with networking enabled, just use a network share and copy the files.

0 Kudos
nick_533
Contributor
Contributor

Am not getting how to network share and access that folder

0 Kudos
nick_533
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot map even when it is off

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Is it really off - not just suspended?

As far as network shares... this is an OS question and has nothing at all to do with VMware. Go to any folder, right-click and select Sharing and Security. Enable the share, give it a name, set user rights, etc. Then in your other computer, just browse to the share (either map a drive, or use a UNC path to connect
computernameoripaddress\sharename)

0 Kudos
Michael_Geary
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running into this same problem in 6.0.0 build 45731 on Windows. Every .vmdk that I try to map gives the same "Error reading volume information. Please select another disk file." message. The .vmdks do not belong to any powered-on machine (I don't have any VM powered up when I try it).

I've tried a variety of .vmdk's with FAT and NTFS partitions. They are all valid disks that work in the VMs, they just don't work with the Map Virtual Disk command.

0 Kudos
Michael_Geary
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if this is related, but I noticed that the "VMware Virtual Mount Manager Extended" service is not running, and if I try to start it using the Services panel it fails with an error 1053 ("The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion").

0 Kudos