VMware {code} Community
pdovy
Contributor
Contributor

Vix Perl Installation Issues

I'm using the Vix 1.1 API on Ubuntu 7.04, but without much success.

The following were my installation steps:

\- Downloaded and unpacked the Vix API tar

\- Ran vmware-install.pl

\- Unpacked the vix-perl tar file

\- Ran Makefile.PL

\- Ran Make

\- Ran Make install

\- Created a new directory and made a pl file containing the VixHost_Connect sample code from the reference documentation.

When I attempted to run this, Perl complained it couldn't find libvix.so. I went looking for it and found that it lived in /usr/lib/vmware-vix/lib. I copied libvix.so to /usr/local/lib, and stopped getting that error, but now it complains:

SSLLoadSharedLibrary: Failed to load library /usr/bin/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:/usr/bin/libcrypto.so.0.9.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The only version of libcrypto.so present on my system is 0.9.8, so I'm not sure how to proceed (I'm quite new to both Perl and the intricacies of unix libraries)

I would have expected these things to be in the right places when the installer copied them to begin with - obviously the installer made assumptions about my system that were not true, and I'm not sure how to correct things.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pdovy
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I ended up making symlinks between the real locations of the lib files and the locations that Vix wants. This solves the problem, although it is frustrating that the default Vix build looks for libraries in places other than their default locations.

0 Kudos