VMware Communities
SpamBucket
Contributor
Contributor

Bridged Network Doesn't Work

\[ MacPro, Wired Network, Fusion Beta: 36932, Guest OS: Windows2000Pro ]

Host IP address is not DHCP. It is specifically bound to 192.168.1.15.

When I select NAT, everything works as expected (connectivity with NAT restrictions/behaviors)

When I select Bridged, the network doesn't work:

1) DHCP doesn't work (errs on finding the DHCP server).

2) When I go into network config and assert an IP address (192.168.1.17), it appears to bind (based on results from ipconfig), but packets do not appear to be leaving the box.

I have tried restarting the guest OS and the host several times to no effect.

Host networking is fine at all times (proven by searching online help during these experiments).

I'm sure it's something silly that I'm doing wrong. Please help...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Because your message does not mention it, have you installed the VMware Tools? The tools have important driver updates for your guest operating system. After the guest OS boots, you would choose Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What network is the host on (e.g. what's the IP of the host?) My understanding is that if you select NAT, you should be using an unused subnet; i.e. not one that already exists. Thus you shouldn't be able to use the same IP (or even subnet) with both NAT and bridged, since what's valid for one shouldn't be valid for the other.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Although tools should improve performance, they shouldn't be necessary for basic connectivity.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>Although tools should improve performance, they shouldn't be necessary for basic connectivity.

This is true. A MacPro also has two ethernet connectors, en0, en1, I wonder if he's plugged into en1 which could be a problem if Fusion only bridges to en0. There is currently no way to specify which network adapter bridged-mode uses. This can be worked around by moving the cable to the other connector and configuring en0 with the host's static address (from above: 192.168.1.15).

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Oops, misread the initial post. I blame it on still being sleepy.

Have you checked the gateway/subnet mask?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I don't have a MacPro, but if it's any consolation Windows 2000 Pro (RTM) works in statically addressed bridged mode on my MacBook pro. I dusted off my MSDN disks and did a quick install. On my home network, I statically-assigned an IP address to my host, and gave my Win2000 guest a different static address, originally it did get an DHCP address from my broadband router. I changed Windows 2000 to a static IP and static DNS and it continued to work. It worked with and without Tools; with the Tools the virtual AMD PCnet network adapter operates at gigabit speed. I stand by my message above on testing your guest connection on the first/other ethernet adapter in your MacPro.

0 Kudos
SpamBucket
Contributor
Contributor

We have a winner...

I moved the cable to the other network port and now bridged networking is working exactly like I would expect it to.

Specifically:

Moved the cable to the network port closest to the midline of the case.

Host IP is 192.168.1.15 (statically assigned)

Guest IP is 192.168.1.102 (from DHCP server)

I can browse the 192.168.1.x subnet for my other windows hosts, etc, etc.

ANOTHER gold star for rcardona2k...

THANKS!!!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>ANOTHER gold star for rcardona2k...

Thanks. I'm hoping to save these into a C2D MacBook Pro or a MacPro. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos