Just wondering...

Will VmWare player run under Vista?

Cristian

0 Kudos
16 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

It's not supported, you will just have to give it a try and see.

0 Kudos
HelperMonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Works for me. Just install it as Administrator.

0 Kudos
tstrob
Contributor
Contributor

Does not work.

VMware-player-1.0.3-34682.exe is not a valid win32 application.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Did you verify the MD5 checksums of your download? The "not a valid Win32 application" sounds like a corrupt download.

0 Kudos
ewolff
Contributor
Contributor

It does not work for me: German Vista. VMWare Player basically locks the machine, only way out is a hardware reset.

0 Kudos
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can't you run the player in compatibility mode? From what I've read, Vista has greatly improved compatibility settings. I haven't had a chance to try it, yet.

0 Kudos
jpietrowicz
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded to Vista as the host with my VMPlayer as XP Pro. I can't find my file. Any words of wisdom?

0 Kudos
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What file are you looking for? I'm afraid there are no words of wisdom available without more info.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>I can't find my file. Any words of wisdom?

"A wise man quickly learns the benefits of having current backups."

...those sound like good words of wisdom to me. Smiley Wink

How about Start>Search>stick your lost filename in the box and press Enter?

0 Kudos
ewolff
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I reinstalled Vista and it works. It takes quite a while to start, however, and it looks as if the machine is hanging during that period i.e. no screen refreshes take place. I guess that's what you get for using cutting edge software...

0 Kudos
kelvinchan_core
Contributor
Contributor

VMplayer can work in Vista Home platium.

0 Kudos
wally
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have the player (v1.0.3) running under Vista business.

We only encounters some problems accessing usb devices. In fact no usb devices are detected within the vm player (running Windows XP).

0 Kudos
elisetta
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, forgive my bad english first of all Smiley Happy

I installed the beta version of vmware workstation running on windows vista. The file I downloaded from the site includes the vmware player. I don't know if is better to launch virtual machines from the workstation or from the player. But I always run them from player. Today a log message said "this product will expire in 7 days". I registered the workstation from the site and I get a serial number. My question: is the workstation for free and player just for trial? Or maybe that serial number I put in the workstation must be input also in the player?

Thank you very much!

Elisa

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You'll get better answers in the Workstation 6 beta forum. http://www.vmware.com/community/forum.jspa?forumID=372

1. What build did you install? All beta builds have hard-coded expiration dates in them.

2. The Player 2 now has its own separate beta program - you may be interested in that instead of the full WS6.

0 Kudos
elisetta
Contributor
Contributor

thank you, I will ask again in the Workstation 6 beta forum.

1. I don't know exactly, I first registered from this url http://register.vmware.com/content/beta/ws/registration.html

and then I downloaded the 6 beta version..

2. The player was "together" the workstation. the file was something like a "suite" including workstation and player. I created a linux virtual machine from the workstation in windows vista and then I run it from the player

0 Kudos
christoria
Contributor
Contributor

I have found that if you switch the processsors to "two" it runs fine - assuming you have two processors. With one, it loads, but takes a long time and seems to hang for 4-5 minutes, even though it is running.

0 Kudos