VMware Cloud Community
sswift13
Contributor
Contributor

How to enable a device that is not capable for passthrough

Hi There,

I just got my Asrock FM2A88X Extreme 6+ board, paired with an AMD A8-6500 APU. After installing ESXi 5.X (tested 5.0/5.1/5.5 releases), I cannot get pass-through fully working. Actually, let me explain what I mean by saying "fully working":

•ESXI shows "DirectPath I/O: Suported", as expected.

Asrock FM2A88X - DirectIO supported.jpg

•All PCI/PCIe devices (cards) are available for pass through, as expected

Asrock FM2A88X - Devices for Passthrough.jpg

lspci output lists all devices, as expected

lspci2.jpg

The following devices are missing from the "Mark devices for passthrough"  list: Integrated GPU (Radeon HD 8570D), Integrated USB3 Controller, Integrated SATA3 Controller. In esxlci hardware pci output list, these devices are marked as "Passthru Capable : false"

Is there a way to enable them? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sswift13
Contributor
Contributor

Just made a shot with XENServer 6.2, where I managed to passthru the iGPU, as well as the iUSB3 controller in Win7 (of the A88X - Bolton D4 chipset) - having some difficulties though (each time I had to shutdown the VM, in order for the iGPU to properly load again, I had to reboot XENServer host). I still can't understand why the A88X devices are marked as "Passthru Capable : false" in the esxlci hardware pci output list. The devices are there - there is no way to mark them as passthru capable devices?

0 Kudos