VMware Communities
enx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Network Editor

Hi

I work at further education college and we moving to windows7, and wish to automate as much software as possible for deployment,

I am currently trying to get VMware Workstation 8 to install silently, I have gotten a script off the VMware site to the install which works, however we need to change the virtual network editor settings to set VMnet0 to host only so it wont recive an ip address from dhcp and I cant find away to do this and was wondering if anyone had achieved this or has any ideas? I have had a look to see where the settings are saved and cant find them.

here is a copy of the script from the VMware site

VMware-workstation-full-8.0.1-528992.exe /s /nsr /v ADDLOCAL=ALL DISABLE_AUTORUN=0 QUICKLAUNCH_SHORTCUT=0 SERIALNUMBER="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

I have had a look at

sanbarrow.com ~ Index and sanbarrow.com ~ Index howeverit does not apply to worksation 7 and above.

cheers

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EV_Simon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From what I can see the following file (C:\ProgramData\VMware\netmap.conf) would need to be created on your admin workstation and then copied over as part of the installation process. I would use the Network Editor to create the file and not doing it by hand.

I have to admit that I haven't tested this but this 'should' be relatively easy to do.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EV_Simon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From what I can see the following file (C:\ProgramData\VMware\netmap.conf) would need to be created on your admin workstation and then copied over as part of the installation process. I would use the Network Editor to create the file and not doing it by hand.

I have to admit that I haven't tested this but this 'should' be relatively easy to do.

0 Kudos
enx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Simon that worked a treat. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
EV_Simon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
enx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Simon

thanks for the help.

The solution kept failing because auto bridging kept turning back on, so I did the following.

Modified the settings in the virtual network editor.

Then I used the following in cmd

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation
start /wait vnetlib.exe -- export c:\settings.txt

This exports the settings from the virtual network editor

On the local machine I then run

c:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation
vnetlib -- uninstall bridge ==  vnetlib -- bridge uninstall
start /wait vnetlib.exe -- import c:\settings.txt

The vnetlib -- uninstall bridge ==  vnetlib -- bridge uninstall line is to permanently remove the bridge protocol  to reinstall just replace uninstall with install.

I then just saved it as a cmd.

Thanks for the help

Nic Smiley Happy

0 Kudos