VMware Cloud Community
JodyDFA
Contributor
Contributor

Recover Point SRA issue?

I'm running SRM 5.1 with vCenter 5.1 with EMC Recover Point 3.5 SP1.P2.

When I do a test failover or a planned failover.  It fails because the ESX hosts on the DR side are unable to mount the datastores.  When I log into EMC Unisphere the ESXi hosts on the DR side are not in the storage group.  If I put the hosts into the storage group I can run the failover.

I was under the impression that you wouldn't have to do this and the Recover Point SRA/Recover Point would talk to the VNX SAN and add the hosts to the storage group automatically on failover.

EMC is telling me that the SRA won't do that.  VMware is telling me that it should do it.

Anybody else integrated Recover Point into SRM before?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Sir2001e
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly I have suffered same issue and, after a whole week of researching, we have had to accept that RecoverPoint SRA is unable to automatically add hosts to a storage group.

Reason?? It looks pretty clear once you realize that SanpMirror only manages replica, it doesn't perform any operation at storage mapping level, so in order to be able to perform a failover (real or test) you have to create initiator for ESXi hosts (if you haven't already created) and add replica volumes to a storage view which includes those initiators.

This is what we made in our environment (RP 3.5 + VPLEX) and it worked, but as VMware said, I think EMC's SRA should be able to perform that operation (other storage solutions we have on our production environments, such NetApp or NSeries, include that functionality)

Nevertheless, we are in contact with bot VMware and EMC to try to find a workaround that allow us to automatize mapping process.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Sergio Oliva

0 Kudos