VMware Cloud Community
calcote
Contributor
Contributor

SRM & Managed Object References Between vCenter Server Instances

Does the Managed Object Reference for objects migrated via SRM remain the same from vCenter Server to vCenter Server instance?

If the MOR changes, how is SRM maintaining which object relates to which object between sites?

Does vSphere or SRM have the concept of GUIDs (as opposed to UUIDs)?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
calcote
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know? Has anyone overcome the challenge of uniquely identifying a managed object (e.g. a VM) from vCenter Server instance to instance?

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

SRM has database to store objects and objects relations.

I don't believe MORef is being kept. Don't have live environment at hand to verify.

Why does this matter to you?

Michael.

0 Kudos
calcote
Contributor
Contributor

We're writing management software that, among other things, tracks VMware objects. MORefs are used to uniquely identify VMware objects (like a VM). Given that the Managed Object Reference is a value locally unique to each vCenter Server instance, this causes an issue when a VM migrates via SRM from one vCenter Server to the next. The MORef changes, and therefore, the next time our management software inventories VMware objects, the migrated VM is considered a new object. The migrated VM is introduced into the management software's registry as a duplicate object. It'd be great if the MORef was truly a globally unique reference.    

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Currently the managed object id values in vSphere are not globally unique (perhaps some future release might address this).

For virtual machines you could use the UUID value stored at uuid.bios within the .vmx file and also available through VIM API as VirtualMachine.config.uuid property (VMware KB: Changing or keeping a UUID for a moved virtual machine ). I have verified that this value is preserved when doing failover using vSphere Replication. I haven't explicitly checked the array-based replication case.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos