VMware Cloud Community
zeroNorth
Contributor
Contributor

HP Smart Array P420i warning

Hi,

I got a brand new DL380p gen8 Server with 8 300GB SAS disks in 2 raid 5, and installed esxi from the branded image: VMware-ESXi-5.1.0-799733-HP-5.34.23.iso on the first raid.

Everything seems to be working fine but I get a warning for the Smart Array P420i controller in the Hardware Health Status.

I checked ILO and everything is ok there. I have uploaded the machines Active Health System log to HP and they say everything is working properly.

Has anyone else had a similar Problem?

rgds,

franz

0 Kudos
68 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hey Franz,

What errors are you seeing?

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
zeroNorth
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a,

I’m not very experienced with VMware, I only see the yellow sign with the exclamation mark beside the controller name.

Battery status and disks are reported ok.

Could you please give me a hint where to look further for an actual error message?

Thanks for your reply,

franz

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hey Franz,

Do you have a + sign you can probably expand or something? Not sure what screen you are at. Can you take a screenshot and share that?

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi all,

I think that in new custom image of ESXi version 5.34.23 from HP is bug.

Previous version was OK, but after upgrade I see the same warning without next info and reasons.

I tested this on more HP servers with various model of controllers SmartArray.

0 Kudos
zeroNorth
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a,

here is a screen shot...

everyting else is reported ok.

Regards

franz

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Could be a driver or firmware that is outdated

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=20949&deviceCat...

This link gives you the drivers.

The KB link takes you to a HP page that lists out drivers and firmware for the make and model of your hardware.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2030818

Could you verify and update to the latest firmware and drivers for the system and check? You might wanna involve HP as firmware and driver verification and updates can get intimidating.

Regards

a

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

This might help

http://experts-exchange.com/Software/VMWare/Q_27929135.html

0 Kudos
zeroNorth
Contributor
Contributor

firmware is all up to date, I verified that with HP support today.

The drivers should be ok as well, since they are all included within the customized image which is dated 2013-02-19

I now got a ML150 test machine with a P410i as well showing the same warning.

I’m going to try an older customized image now.

Regards,

Franz

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hey Frenz,

Have you checked the BIOS logs for smart events?

Regards

a

0 Kudos
zeroNorth
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a,

I don't see any errors in the logs and I did send the AHS logs for the last week to HP but they did not find any errors either.

Regards,

Franz

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

same here with a fresh installation of a gen8 Server. Newest driver and firmware is installed.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
dfsakhfsdhgojkl
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem here with a couple of brand new DL380 G7's.

I also reinstalled a DL380 G7 (which was running vSphere 5.0 without warnings) to vSphere 5.1, and now there is the same warning on the SmartArray p410i.

'/opt/hp/hpacucli/bin/hpacucli controller all show config detail' on each host reports no problems.

However running 'esxcfg-scsidevs -l' shows 'Status: degraded' on both vSphere 5.0 and vSphere 5. !!!

Perhaps the warning was always there but is being displayed since the last version of the driver?

0 Kudos
bwitte
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

exactly the same problem here with a DL380G6 (Smart Array P410i) and a DL360G5 (Smart Array P400i).

I have the HP repository (vibsdepot.hp.com) included in the vSphere Update Manager, and I could swear these warnings appeared with the last updates from HP.

HP-ESXi.PNG

Therefore I'd guess HP is responsible for this.

Regards

Bastian

0 Kudos
dfsakhfsdhgojkl
Contributor
Contributor

I just updated the hpsa driver to 5.0.0-40 on one of my vSphere 5.0 hosts, and after the reboot the warning started appearing.

So the problem seems to be in the hpsa driver....

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

You guys might want to open a ticket with HP and share this communites thread in that case

0 Kudos
dfsakhfsdhgojkl
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like HP is already aware because the drivers are no longer available for download on their site:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/vmware-esxi/driver_version.html

I'm sure I downloaded the driver package there last week....

On http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hpq/ the feb2013 directory has been removed....

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hmm.. interesting

0 Kudos
VirT3ck
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this same issue with a customers HP ML350p using ESXi 5.1.0 updated to 914609.

February 22nd the drivers were still available and now indeed as mentioned above the drivers are offline.

So let's hope HP puts new drivers out there Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
zeroNorth
Contributor
Contributor

I do have an open case with HP regarding this problem and added a link to this communites thread into that case now. I'll let you know when I get an answer from HP.

Regards,

franz

0 Kudos