VMware Communities
tlunn
Contributor
Contributor

[patch] Vmware 9 on Linux Kernel 3.8rc4

Here is a small patch that fixes the build issues of the vmci module on linux kernel 3.8rc4.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
bioman
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Please how-to apply this patch ?

Thanks !

Bioman

0 Kudos
tlunn
Contributor
Contributor

You would do more or less the following commands.

cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

tar -xf vmci.tar

cd vmci-only

patch -p1 < 'patchfile'

cd ..

tar -cf vmci.tar vmci-only/

then re-run vmware installer.

0 Kudos
bioman
Contributor
Contributor

I thank you very much ! Smiley Happy

It works with 3.8-rc6 too Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bioman
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it works with 3.8-rc6, but Workstation is sooooo slow Smiley Sad

Any idea to make it give its best ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
knobi
Contributor
Contributor

The same patch is needed for WS8.x and Kernel 3.8.x. It applies with small offsets.

Thanks a lot

Martin

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for helping--I did the manual patches for 3.8.0 and it works great

0 Kudos
cosmo0920
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much !

But, your patch works *only* Kernel 3.8.x.

Here is my patch which is older version Kernel support added.

0 Kudos
lovetide
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, now VMware Player 5.0.1 on Fedora 18 x86_64 compiled with 3.8.1-201.fc18 kernel.

linux newbie, vmware fan, 囧rz..
0 Kudos
tigerpaws
Contributor
Contributor

I also confiirm the patch works  on 3.8.1-201.fc18.x86_64. Thanks.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Does this patch also work for Ubuntu and (much less likley) openSUSE with kernel 3.8.x?  Has anybody t ried it??

Thanks

0 Kudos
tlunn
Contributor
Contributor

It should work on any distro that has a 3.8 kernel. Certainly works on Ubuntu Raring.

0 Kudos
lgraves
Contributor
Contributor

I am not able to understand the commands given to install this new patch. Please post  step by step instructions on how to install patch. I am a novice trying to learn.

Lawrence E Graves
0 Kudos
maf2
Contributor
Contributor

I apply this patch but when I start vmware: Could not open /dev/vmmon.

3.8.0-9-generic #18-Ubuntu SMP Thu Feb 28 17:02:06 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lgraves read third post.

Igraves press ctrl+alt+t write sudo su press enter end write password and press enter. Now you write command with post third.
Sorry for my english.

Ok. I solved my problem:

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all --appname="VMware Player" --icon="vmware-player"

Everything work fine.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Thanks!

Actually I just  installed WS  9.0.2-1031769 on FC 18 (fully distro-synced) using  kernel 3.8.3-203.fc18.x86_64  WITHOUT any patch.

It seems like VMware has at long last  gotten its Linux kernel compatibility right.  The poster that   said the  new release  works with all the new kernels was  correct!Smiley Happy

But theres alway more  work to do - you guys can come out  with a patch for kernel 3.9 (although perhaps that works out of the   box aswell - haven't  tried it).

Good job patchers and VMware!!

PS I'm downoading Linux Mint 14 Debian Edtion right now and will edit this reply again if I have a problem with creaating a VM.

0 Kudos
juvenau
Contributor
Contributor

Worked sucefully on 3.8.1-030801-generic raring ubuntu. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

This did    not work                             on Ubuntu     Raring  kernel  3.8.2-030802-generic.

Two  obervation.

1)  On the instructions all commands except  cd  must  be run as  su (sudo).  This is  merely a quibble - since they won't  execute as an ordinary user  (but youi  may want to  change  it.)

2)  More  importantly   the header (.h) files in /usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.2-030802-generic/include/linux are  greyed   out in Dolphin and VMware (but NOT VirtualBox) can't   ffind them even though the correct path is specified. This  maddening since the same problem occurs in openSUSE 12.3 with  kernel 3.7.9.

3) The command "sudo  patch' never  finishes (at least  it was taking  longer thank  to compile a kernel)  I think patch  required an  argument but I'm  not sure  of this.  I cncelled it - would this make a difffference in the kernel command?)

4)  Running the vmware-installer again  it says nothing has changed so the command does nothing.

5)  Granted I installed 3.8 from the ppa repo rather  than using the latest  Raring nightly  build but I needed kernel   3.6 for the WS to work (and I knew this but tried the patch anyway).  In order to install Raring I had to  first  tall lthe server  version since the desktop version does  not have a an alternate   install anymore and I have software   RAID.

If you can help me (particularly with   item 2) I'd ssure appreciate it.

0 Kudos
nvanwyen
Contributor
Contributor

FYI, for those who are interested. This patch still works on 3.8.1-201.fc18.x86_64 for VMware Workstation 9.0.1 build-894247

0 Kudos
tlunn
Contributor
Contributor

2)  More  importantly   the header (.h) files in  /usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.2-030802-generic/include/linux are  greyed    out in Dolphin and VMware (but NOT VirtualBox) can't   ffind them even  though the correct path is specified. This  maddening since the same  problem occurs in openSUSE 12.3 with  kernel 3.7.9.

You need to create a symlinked version.h in that folder, pointed at '../generated/uapi/linux/version.h'

The command "sudo  patch' never  finishes (at least  it was taking   longer thank  to compile a kernel)  I think patch  required an  argument  but I'm  not sure  of this.  I cncelled it - would this make a  difffference in the kernel command?)

this mean 'patch' is not getting any input, generally commands with redirection (>, <, etc) don't work properly with sudo. extract the tarball somewhere you have write permissions with your normal user. The only thing you should need sudo for is copying the modified tar back into place.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

OK!. Thank you. I will download the 3.8 by days end and let you know. I am still puzzled by the greyed out .h files in Dolphin or Nautilus for all kernel s3.8 on any distribution. Athe files have the usual permissions as far as I can see - it is very puzzling.

0 Kudos