VMware Cloud Community
BL460c
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Customization Wizard - Sysprep Removing NIC

I have a Windows XP Template.

I have a Windows XP Customization which will add the machine to the domain, add the CD Key, and use DHCP

I am using vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 and have placed the Sysprep files in the directory accroding to the documentation from VMware

When I clone the VM and don't choose to customize the machine is fine, I can boot it and the NIC is active and working.

When I choose to Clone a VM and use the Guest Customization specification I made earlier the Sysprep process runs and the NIC is deleted.

I can open device manager and the log at the same time and what the process and this is when the NIC is removed the log prints this.

select * from win32_networkadapter where Manufacturer != 'Microsoft' and ServiceName != 'VMnetAdapter' and  manufacturer is not null and MACAddress is not null
Found 1 objects. Pointer b402e0. return code 0(0x0)
Found 0 objects. Pointer 0. return code 1(0x1)
Returning value 00:50:56:87:9B:50 for system property
Setting dhcp for nic # 0
Returning value \\VDI-XP-G-SOE\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_NetworkAdapter.DeviceID="8" for system property
ASSOCIATORS OF {\\VDI-XP-G-SOE\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_NetworkAdapter.DeviceID="8"} where ResultClass = Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration
Found 1 objects. Pointer b40508. return code 0(0x0)
Found 0 objects. Pointer 0. return code 1(0x1)
Clearing gateway ip addresses.
Enabling DHCP on the computer
Returning value \\VDI-XP-G-SOE\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration.Index=8 for system property
Setting DNS Server to ip <none>
Getting method object for method name SetDNSServerSearchOrder
Set status called with flag 0, result 0
Returning value \\VDI-XP-G-SOE\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration.Index=8 for system property
Executing command deploy\sysprep.exe -quiet -mini -reseal -reboot

Successfully executed command deploy\sysprep.exe -quiet -mini -reseal -reboot

Trying to connect network interfaces, attempt 1

Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 4 103 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@4000'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 4 103 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@4000', reply='queryNicsSupported', len=18, status=1

Got VMX response 'queryNicsSupported'

Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 4 104 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@4000'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 4 104 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@4000', reply='disconnected', len=12, status=1

Got VMX response 'disconnected'

Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 4 104 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@4000'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 4 104 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@4000', reply='connected', len=9, status=1

Got VMX response 'connected'
The network interfaces are connected on 1 second
Once the NIC is removed, Sysprep runs and reboots the VM
The SysprepDecrypter.exe runs at startup and I see the
"VMware customization in progress" and then Mini-Setup runs
When Mini-Setup runs there is no NIC added so the machine cannot join the domain.
The machine than infinitely reboots and continues to run SysprepDecrypter.exe over and over.
any ideas anyone?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BL460c
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like I was looking in the wrong log file.

2 things for me were wrong (both in template)

Telephony service was disabled (set to automatic)

password was set on local administrator account (removed)

solved.

0 Kudos