VMware Cloud Community
ScottXYZ
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading from ESX 3.5 to VSphere 5.1

Hello everyone.

I currently have the following setup.

1 VCenter Server, and 3 ESX 3.5 Servers (Running on HP Proliant DL380 G5's) In total i have roughly 30 Virtual Machines spread throughout the 3 Hosts.

We have purchased new hardware (3 HP Proliant DL380 G7's) and i need to install the following setup.

1 VCenter Server 5.0, and 3 VSphere 5.1 Servers.

My concerns are as follows, Once i setup the new DL 380 G7's how can i migrate the existing Virtual Machines (From the exisitng G 5's)

Also i am fully licensed for the exisitng 3.5's and the existing VCenter.

Can i transfer over the exisitng license files/keys etc?

If anyone has any insights/recommendations it would be greaty appreiciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

are the VM's located on the host's local storage or on shared storage?

In case of local storage, you may consider (if the hosts run on ESX 3.5 Update 5) to temporarily add the old hosts to the new vCenter Server to migrate the VM's over to the new hosts.

Can i transfer over the exisitng license files/keys etc?

vCenter Server 5 as well as ESXi 5 require new license keys. If you have active SnS, you are entitled to upgrade your licenses free of charge in your My VMware portal.

André

ScottXYZ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Thank you for the response.

The VM's are located primarily on each Host's Local Storage...However a few select ones are stored on Shared Storage.

In a case like this...Would i be able to move all the VM's over to the Shared Storage (If capacity allows) and then access them from the newly built VSphere 5.1 Hosts?

Again Thanks for the insight/assistance.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Basically yes, however it also depends on your storage system and whether it is supported by vSphere 5. (see VMware Compatibility Guide: System Search)

André

0 Kudos