VMware Cloud Community
JRex08
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed cloned VM-flat.vmdk will not delete from datastore

I was trying to clone a VM in vSphere 5.0 that failed due to a "timeout error" and now I'm unable to remove the VM-flat.vmdk file from that clone within the target datastore with an error message of "An error occurred while communicating with the remote host".  I need to get this VM-flat.vmdk file removed to free space back up on that datastore.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jeremy Rexroad System Administrator VCP5
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

maybe the file still locked by the cloning process, have you logged in to the ESX console and see if the process still running?

If you can ssh to the server then you can

lsof | grep <*filename>

that should give the PID that locked the file

Kill <PID>

To kill the PID so you can delete the file

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try connecting directly to one of the ESXi hosts with the vSphere Client and deleting the file that way.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
JRex08
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I connect directly to a couple different ESXi hosts via a vSphere Client and attempt to delete the file, I receive a error "Error caused by file /vmfs/volumes/4e60c6cf-2feed90-2404-5ef3fc344abb/VM/VM-flat.vmdk".

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What storage protocol and storage unit is backing the datastore?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

maybe the file still locked by the cloning process, have you logged in to the ESX console and see if the process still running?

If you can ssh to the server then you can

lsof | grep <*filename>

that should give the PID that locked the file

Kill <PID>

To kill the PID so you can delete the file

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
JRex08
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using a Dell AX150 Fibre Channel SANs. 

0 Kudos
JRex08
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@MartinAmaro - That was the issue.  Thanks for the resolution.  I can now call it a day...

0 Kudos
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm glad I was able to point you in the right direction.

0 Kudos