VMware Communities
AFriedel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to compile module vmnet-only for VMware Player 4.0.3 build-703057 on Fedora 16 x86_64

During updating to VMware Player 4.0.3 I get this compile error for vmnet-only. I found a patch for 4.0.2 and a similar compile error for the last update to 4.0.2 but not for the current version 4.0.3. Any hints?

LOG
/usr/bin/make -j -C /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only auto-build  SUPPORT_SMP=1 HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/3.3.2-6.fc16.x86_64/build/include  CC=/usr/lib64/ccache/gcc GREP=/usr/bin/make IS_GCC_3=no VMCCVER=4.6.3
Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only'
make -C /lib/modules/3.3.2-6.fc16.x86_64/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. \
   MODULEBUILDDIR= modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/3.3.2-6.fc16.x86_64'
   CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/userif.o
   CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/netif.o
   CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/filter.o
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/userif.c: In Funktion »VNetCsumCopyDatagram«:
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/userif.c:520:3: Fehler: Inkompatibler Typ für Argument 1 von »kmap«
include/linux/highmem.h:48:61: Anmerkung: »struct page *« erwartet, aber Argument hat Typ »const struct <anonym>«
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/userif.c:523:3: Fehler: Inkompatibler Typ für Argument 1 von »kunmap«
include/linux/highmem.h:54:60: Anmerkung: »struct page *« erwartet, aber Argument hat Typ »const struct <anonym>«
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/userif.o] Fehler 1
make[2]: *** Warte auf noch nicht beendete Prozesse...
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/filter.c:60:16: Fehler: »THIS_MODULE« ist hier nicht deklariert (nicht in einer Funktion)
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/filter.o] Fehler 1
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/netif.c: In Funktion »VNetNetIfSetup«:
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/netif.c:134:7: Fehler: unbekanntes  Feld »ndo_set_multicast_list« in Initialisierung angegeben
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/netif.c:134:7: Warnung:  Initialisierung von inkompatiblem Zeigertyp [standardmäßig aktiviert]
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/netif.c:134:7: Warnung: (nahe der  Initialisierung für »vnetNetifOps.ndo_validate_addr«) [standardmäßig  aktiviert]
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only/netif.o] Fehler 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only] Fehler 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/3.3.2-6.fc16.x86_64'
make: *** [vmnet.ko] Fehler 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only'
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
skym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1. Download this tarball: http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/vmware802fixlinux320.tar.gz
  2. Extract the tarball
  3. Edit the file patch-modules_3.2.0.sh.  Look for the line plreqver=4.0.2 and change it to plreqver=4.0.3
  4. Save the file, then run it.  sudo ./patch-modules_3.2.0.sh

I scraped this from the Internet and it worked for me as I had the same problem after upgraging my Linux Distro.

Caveat Emptor

Thanks,

Sky

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
skym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1. Download this tarball: http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/vmware802fixlinux320.tar.gz
  2. Extract the tarball
  3. Edit the file patch-modules_3.2.0.sh.  Look for the line plreqver=4.0.2 and change it to plreqver=4.0.3
  4. Save the file, then run it.  sudo ./patch-modules_3.2.0.sh

I scraped this from the Internet and it worked for me as I had the same problem after upgraging my Linux Distro.

Caveat Emptor

Thanks,

Sky

0 Kudos
AFriedel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Works like a charm. Thank you!

0 Kudos
skibum58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This patch worked for me as well after this compile failure.  A quick and easy fix, with many thanks.

VMware-Player-4.0.3-703057.x86_64.bundle on Crunchbang 3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

Is it just me, or is anyone else have a deja vu "vmware-any-any" moment here?

#edit

Also working on Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, 3.2.0-23-generic. i7 920 @ 2.67G, 12gb ram, nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+

As Player and Workstation upgrade, just make sure you change the two appropriate lines in the script to match.  I've successfully patched using:

vmreqver=8.0.4

plreqver=4.0.4

0 Kudos
Qbgroup
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here, on Ubuntu 12.04.

I had just to remember to delete the .patched file Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
teq2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here on Mageia 2, Kernel 3.3

Worked great, thank you :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
yoreed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked for me too! Ubuntu 12.04 kernel 3.2.0-25-generic VMware Player 4.0.4

Just changed the plreqver to 4.0.4

Thank you!!!!!  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
janaka17
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it does not work for me on a debian wheezy. i installed the 5.0.0 vmware player. i modified the patch with plreqver=5.0.0. here is what i get when i try to install the patch :

# sudo ./patch-modules_3.2.0.sh
patching file vmnet-only/filter.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 48 (offset 8 lines).
patching file vmnet-only/netif.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 62.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 131.
Hunk #3 succeeded at 522 (offset -89 lines).
2 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmnet-only/netif.c.rej
patching file vmnet-only/userif.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 517.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmnet-only/userif.c.rej

any suggestion? many thanks.

0 Kudos