VMware Communities
allquixotic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host I/O Causes Micro-Freezes In Guest

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues to what me and two other people are seeing with the latest Workstation (8.0.2):

Check out http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?69222-VMware-s-Linux-3D-Guest-Driver-Is-Ready and look for the replies of allquixotic (me), RealNC, and russofris.

Basically I think the consensus right now is this:

1. Doesn't matter if you're using Workstation or Player, as long as it's the latest version

2. Doesn't matter if you're using Linux host or Windows host

3. Doesn't matter if you're using Linux guest or Windows guest

4. Doesn't matter how much RAM or how many CPUs you assign to the guest

5. Doesn't matter if 3d accel is enabled or disabled

6. Doesn't matter if the guest and host are using separate hard disks

7. Isn't specific to any certain hardware (problem reproduced with "Nehalem" Core i7 and "Sandy Bridge" 2500K processors)

The symptom is that the guest experiences "micro-freezes" (on the order of 5 to 50 milliseconds) each time the host does any disk I/O.

This is most noticeable if you are playing sound in the guest, but you can kind of notice it by reduced graphics performance too.

A great torture test that makes the problem obvious (but it occurs noticeably even without doing something this heavy):

1. Start playing music in the guest, using the virtual sound driver

2. Unpack the Linux kernel tarball from a .tar.bz2 on the host

3. Listen as the sound stutters horribly

I don't remember this happening with Workstation 7.

The symptom is noticeable even if you do a simple thing like copy a 4 KB text file from one directory to another on the host. You'll get a little "blip" in your audio stream on the guest.

It's not just the virtual audio, either: I tried attaching my USB headset directly to the guest, so the guest was directly accessing the physical hardware using VMware's USB Arbitration. Even doing this, the audio lag was unbearable with modest disk I/O on the host.

It's not just audio, either: if you move the mouse "smoothly" in the guest while doing heavy I/O on the host, you notice that the mouse cursor will skip.

With this many orthogonal factors, there has to be some root cause, but we're running out of possibilities. What is going on?

Please read the Phoronix thread linked for information about our hardware and configurations. There are three of us (who don't know eachother, aside from talking on the same forum) who have independently reproduced the same problem.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

I have identical symptoms   as you report with WS 8 so and other here have reported the same.   I would go back to WS 7 immediately - but kernel patcges for kernell 2.6.39 at least  kerel  don;'t seem available for the 7 version.  A few other things can only be done with WS 8 - but probably not enough to use 7.1.5 if you can.   I've noticed less of a problem with the Windows version of WS but they are certainly there if the host is dooing any I/O.

angryfifer
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing the same issue: My VMs freeze up whenever there is HDD activity. I am compiling code on my VMs so I am seeing a lot of these freezes.

I need to use WS8 because I require nested 64-bit virtualisation - WS7 doesn't have this functionality...

UPDATE - I found the cause of the issue on my laptop. The laptop's previous owner had enabled disk-compression of the drive I was storing my VMs on. I've removed the compression and the performance issue has gone...

0 Kudos
mcaperson
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly this problem with a Fedora 16 host and guest. I have been playing the settings for months trying to get something that works, but to no avail. It's nice to know that it is not just me.

0 Kudos