VMware Cloud Community
seanx820
Contributor
Contributor

FreeBSD 9.0 VMware-tools problem?

I install vmware-tools but it fails to start...

Starting VMware Tools services in the virtual machine:
   Switching to guest configuration:                                   done
   Guest memory manager:                                              failed
   VMware User Agent:                                                  done
   Guest operating system daemon:                                      done
Unable to start services for VMware Tools
Execution aborted.
freebsd-9-USGv6#

I reboot and the mouse works fine but my keyboard does not work fine.  My log Xorg.0.log and my log for /var/log/messages

Here is my etc/rc.conf

hostname="freebsd-9-USGv6" devfs_system_ruleset="devfsrules_unhide_bpf" sshd_enable="YES" ntpd_enable="YES" # Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable dumpdev="NO" ifconfig_em0="inet 10.1.4.19 netmask 255.255.255.0" defaultrouter="10.1.4.1" gnome_enable="YES" dbus_enable="YES" ipv6_default_interface="em1" ipv6_gateway_enable="YES" ifconfig_em1="up" ifconfig_em2="up" ipv6_network_interface="em1" ipv6_network_interface="em2" ipv6_prefix_em1="3ffe:501:ffff:100" ipv6_prefix_em2="3ffe:501:ffff:101" rtadvd_enable="NO" hald_enable="YES" fusefs_enable="YES" vmware_guest_vmblock_enable="YES" vmware_guest_vmhgfs_enable="YES" vmware_guest_vmmemctl_enable="YES" vmware_guest_vmxnet_enable="YES" vmware_guestd_enable="YES"

the 5 lines that start with vmware are for the open-vm-tools which seems to do nothing either with or without vmware-tools installed...  any help would be appreciated.  I see a thread was started on this before but i couldn't figure out how to reply to that thread (maybe its dead?)  VMware tools is heavily desired for FreeBSD 9.0

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
seanx820
Contributor
Contributor

I figured it out!

it ended up being an xorg.conf problem!  go to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and I looked at the input device and checked this against a FreeBSD 8.0 machine I had that worked fine and I found that I had no options specified on the old machine so I uncommented all the options and it worked
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "VMwareKeyboard[0]"
    Driver      "keyboard"
    #Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    #Option "XkbRules"  "xfree86"
    #Option "XkbModel"  "pc104"
    #Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    #Option "XkbCompat" ""
EndSection
Notice the # before the options.  On a reboot vSphere now allowed keyboard access.  NOTE: x11 forwarding and x11vnc worked fine even without this.
0 Kudos