VMware Communities
schernof
Contributor
Contributor

Crypto exception error when virtualizing a physical Windows 7 64-bit machine

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 quad processor laptop, running Windows 7 with virtualization turned on.

I'm using VMware Workstation 8.01.

I see the following error when attempting to virtualize a physical Winows 64-bit machine.

How anyone seen this before and know how to resolve it?

A system error occurred: Crypto Exception: error:02001005:system library:fopen:Input/output error:unable to load C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\ssl\rui.crt.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
schernof
Contributor
Contributor

User account control was not turned off

0 Kudos
ds236
Contributor
Contributor

This thread was found by me via a Google search. I'm having the same problem. Your terse reply doesn't provide much in the way of help. Are you saying this needs to be adjusted in the physical machine being converted? In the machine on which the converter is running? Please, when answering, think about the fact that the answer may in fact be useful to more than the initiator of the thread, and type an extra sentence or two to help others. thanks.

0 Kudos
ds236
Contributor
Contributor

Right click on the icon for the converter, and select Run as Administrator. That resolves the issue with access to the cert files and such. It'd be nice if VMWare fixed this so that the application could read all of its own files without running as administrator. A bit better packaging would likely do it, and some software QA testing would help ensure the product as released does not run into this kind of error.

0 Kudos
robincm
Contributor
Contributor

If you've installed the 5.0.1 client on a different machine to the server component then you'll need to create the ssl folder and copy the files from the server's ssl folder. Details here: http://rcmtech.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/vmware-converter-crypto-exception-error-02001005/

0 Kudos
XmaSiV
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same error running Windows 8 Pro N. The run as Administrator didn't work for me so i did something else.

I solved it by going to C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone, right click on the "ssl" folder, on security and clicked on "Advanced" button. When it opened new window i went on "Auditing" tab, clicked on button Continue, and there i added user. You do that by clicking "Select a principal", typing in the user name, and then tick on check box sayin "Full control". By doing that, i was able to convert my physical machine. 3.png

0 Kudos
u904
Contributor
Contributor

I got same error

yesterday I did download latest Versions of VMware Workstation and VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client.

Both installed as Administrator on a XEON Workstation OS:W7 Ultimate 64Bit

1.) call VMware Workstation
2.) Virtualize a Physical Machine
3.) Login to the Physical Machine
Although
Hostname,
Username for the Account of the physical machine,
Password for your account on the physical machie,
are correct, and I have administrative privilegs as member of the administrator group
login failed with following error:
http://www.britta-d.de/images/VMware/Crypto_Exception_error.jpg

the Directory C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMwarwe vCenter Converter Standalone\ssl\rui.crt
does not exist

exact the part ssl\ does not exist

http://www.britta-d.de/images/VMware/directory_part_ssl_does_not_exist.jpg

Benuzerkontensteuerung ausschalten wird nicht empfohlen -->

Ein- und Ausschalten der Benutzerkontensteuerung

This is a known issue and I ask when it will be resolved.

0 Kudos