VMware Cloud Community
VMwareReady123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 5.0 installation hanging at 'initializing acpi'

Hi,

I am trying to install ESXi 5.0 on a blade that has Intel core i7 processor. but the installation freezes at "Initializing ACPI".
I've played with the ACPI settings in BIOS but no dice so far and also at the kernel command line like (acpi=off or --noacpi or kernelopt=acpi=off). Have reset BIOS to default several times but no luck.
ESXi 4.1 is getting installed on the same blade with out issues.The problem is with ESXi 5.0 only.
Please help.

regards,

Raghavendrachari

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
abbie11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Please Check your Primary boot drive in the BIOS under "Boot Configuration  Features" then "Hard Disk Drives"  to see how your disk is set.

I got around it by setting my primary boot disk to "SATA" instead of "ACHI".

Winning!
Winning!
0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What type of blade server is it?

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
VMwareReady123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

it is a Compact PCI blade server.

regards,

Raghavendrachari

0 Kudos
VMwareReady123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

We all tried with all the avilable options what you suggested, but we are facing same problem.

regards,

Raghavendrachari

0 Kudos
VMwareReady123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI,

It is CPCI 7203 blade server having single Intel Core i7  Uniprocessor .

regards,

Raghavendrachari

0 Kudos
scottburgan
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem here on a whitebox system on a Huron River Intel platform based on QM67. I think the crux of the problem is that the boot options that worked and disabled ACPI for versions 4.1 and earlier, don't seem to work for ESXi 5.0. Can someone at VMWare provide this information or at least let us know what we need to do to prevent either the Installer or the Boot loader (boot.cfg option?????) from Initializing the ACPI functionality?

0 Kudos
dasmiffs
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this issue on a Shuttle SZ77R5 with 3770 I7 processor,  any word on boot options to get around this?

0 Kudos
AmeenMunaff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

is your hardware listed in HCL? i guess this is because of the unsupported drivers for acpi

Regards

Ameen Munaf

Regards, Ameen Munaf
0 Kudos
VMwareReady123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

we upgrade BIOS with the new avilable version , then ESXi5.0 has installed successfully in our blade server.

regards,

Raghavendrachari

0 Kudos
dasmiffs
Contributor
Contributor

Tried latest BIOS on my shuttle box but still no go. Smiley Sad Might be stuck with HyperV for my test lab for now.

0 Kudos
dasmiffs
Contributor
Contributor

No it isn't listed on hcl, was hoping for some work around options like those that were available in previous esxi versions.

Sent from my mobile

0 Kudos
seetee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

dasmiffs,

The SZ77R5 appears to support UEFI boot drives.  Have a look at the Boot Tab in the BIOS and you'll see an area "UEFI Boot Drives".  Make sure the drive/usb stick you are installing to has UEFI enabled.

Also see http://communities.vmware.com/thread/403231?start=15&tstart=0 for some more background on the issue.

0 Kudos
dasmiffs
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, i will give that a go and update soon.

Sent from my mobile

0 Kudos
VMwareReady123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

For your kind information , please check wheather your hardware has listed on Vmware's HCL before installations , otherwise won't take steps.

regards,

Raghavendrachari

0 Kudos
seetee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Raghavendrachari,

See http://communities.vmware.com/message/1840034#1840034

The above is an example of where a Intel Server board is listed on the HCL, but its second onboard NIC does not work because VMWare haven't yet provided driver support for the NIC (athough the above thread is talking about ESXi 4, the serverboard is listed on the HCL as compliant with v4 and v5).  Most of this thread is about creating development or lab ESXi 5 Servers rather than production environments.

Most of the contributors here have tried things and they have or have not worked and we've provided feedback for the benefit of others.

My experience is that it is too risky to use a non-HCL system for ESXi production environments.

I've been looking at the Shuttle SZ77R5 - and this does look like a great portable lab/dev esxi environment - supports the Ivy Bridge 4 Core Processor; supports up to 32Gb DDR3 1600 Memory with normal DIMMs.  Has one onboard gigabit nic (not sure if supported) - so might need to add an extra in.  Also has a PCIe x16 - which for people who want to RAID1 this - they could use an Intel RS2WC040 PCIe8 RAID controller (circa USD$350).

The Shuttle SZ77R5 would now be my preference if you needed a portable solution (eg, working on customer sites) because of the small footprint - I'd use 4x8Gb DDR3 1600 Memory and raid1 with the above RAID card and use a intel pci-e dual port nic and use an external dvd to keep the power use as low as possible.  I've always been a strong advocate of Intel whitebox architecture for servers and desktops, but after looking at the Shuttle, think this is the perfect lab/dev.

I'd also probably use VMWare Workstation 8 and runup ESXi 5 as a VM with "Virtualise Intel VT-x/EPT" enabled - could allocate 16Gb to ESXi.

I like the idea of the Intel DQ77KB as it could potentially be used as a lab in an itx case, but it is simply impractical because of the incompatible onboard nic; limit of 16Gb Memory, and the lack of expandability - only one PCI-e x4 slot - if u use this for the NIC, what would u use for the RAID?

Message was edited by: seetee

0 Kudos
seetee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, got my threads crossed a bit - most of my comments above were in relation to http://communities.vmware.com/thread/403231?start=30&tstart=0

0 Kudos