VMware Communities
G_Aichholzer
Contributor
Contributor

Unity questions (start menu and guest shut down)

Hi everybody,

I'm using VMware Player (4.0.1 build-528992) with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 as host and Windows 2003 Server as guest. I have two questions using Unity:

1. The Unity start menu doesn't show all entries of the guest's start menu. I haven't been able to find out which items are shown and which not. Do you have any ideas?
  2. Is it possible to shut down the guest without exiting Unity?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Gerald

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

1. Which things do you want in the unity launch menu, but don't see there?

2. No, the guest will always exit unity.  Unity requires Tools to be running, and since Tools are shut down along with the rest of the guest, when that happens, Player will switch back to normal console mode.

0 Kudos
G_Aichholzer
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

1.) The start menu in unity mode is only a subset of the start menu in non-unity mode. In unity mode I see only about 60% of the start menue entries compared to normal mode (see attachments). What happened here?

2.) I think I have to rephrase my question: right now when I want to shut down my guest I exit unity mode and shut down the operating system using the start menu option. Is there an easier way available?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Gerald

0 Kudos
Shootist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as exiting Unity mode you have to do that first before you can shut down the VM Guest PC. But instead of using the start menu to shut down the Guest try, when the focus is in the VM, Alt+F4. This will bring up the shut down dialog box, as long as there aren't any programs running, and usually the default option is Shut Down. Just hit the Enter key.

At least that is how it is in Win 7. Not sure about Server 2008.

If you want to Restart first hit the "R" key then the Enter key and the OS will restart. If the default option is something else then Shut Down that can be changed or just hit the "S" key then Enter.

If there are other program running, and then have focus, Alt+F4 will shut them down. If they don't have focus the you will get a warning that they will be shut down and then the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, whatever dialog window will come up.

0 Kudos
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

It's hard to tell from just a screen shot, but maybe the unity launch menu is only showing you the program groups that are under your user profile? It ought to show those as well as machine-wide groups, but maybe something's going wrong there and we aren't getting the list of machine-wide groups.  If you look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and %userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs (both in the guest) you'll see the places that we pull the launch menu contents from.  If one group of files is showing up, but not the other, then that would be great to know.  Or if you can see any other pattern.

0 Kudos