VMware Cloud Community
Brad_P
Contributor
Contributor

VM Max Disk Latency Alarm - BAD TRIGGERS

vCenter Build: 4.1.0, 345043

ESX Build:  4.1.0, 348481

I am trying to create an alert for VM Max Disk Latency (ms), I went through configuring the alarm and all seemed good, but as soon as I hit "OK" my inbox was flooded with alert emails like the following:

##############################

Target: <computer_name>

Previous Status: Green

New Status: Yellow

Alarm Definition:

([Yellow Metric Is above 30KBps; Red Metric Is above 50KBps])

Current values for metric/state:

Metric Usage = 47KBps

Description:

Alarm Custom Alarm- VM DISK LATENCY' on <computer_name> changed from Green to Yellow

##############################

What is going on here? It's like values for the disk latency thresholds in milliseconds are actually configured as KBps I/O for the VMDK. All I could get with my Goole-Foo was some KB about disk latency alarms not triggering in vCenter/ESX versions prior to 4.1 U1, which does not pertain to this environment.

Has anyone seen this before/know how to get a VM Max Disk Latency (ms) to actually work?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
wleeCRG
Contributor
Contributor

I can't find any useful information online about VM Total Disk Latency myself. I set my trigger to 500 for yellow, 1000 for red, and still got flooded with alerts. If I check performace related to Virtual disks i don't see the spikes reported by the alert.

0 Kudos
Brad_P
Contributor
Contributor

This has been a rather important alarm for me, as I am reaching some performance thresholds on one particular SAN - so I opened a support request with VMware.

They were able to reproduce the issue in their environment, so this is being treated as a bug, and will have to be fixed in a future code release. I am not sure how this has gone unnoticed for so long...considering the importance of this statistic.

0 Kudos
LeeTheMC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Brad, thank you for providing the initial update.  Do you have anything more to report at this time?  Has a fix been created, or is there a plan for one?  We are also hindered by the inconsistent nature of this alarm, and are eagerly awaiting the fix.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Alethay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all,any updates?

What's the right value in ms to insert when creating the allarm?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
computerguy7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same issue. inbox flooded as soon as I enabled the disk latency alarm. I set the limits at 500ms and 1100ms. I am going to update from 5.5 U2 to 5.5 U3b to see if this is a bug.

0 Kudos