VMware Cloud Community
dcolpitts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP's ESXi 5.0 ISO image - "Write failed file:/etc/vmware/vmware.lic" when adding license to host

I've downloaded HP's ESXi 5.0 installer CD (5.0_Aug_2011_ESXi_HD_USB_SDImgeInstlr_Z7550_00204.iso) from the HP software depot and installed it on one of my test Proliant servers here in my lab using the default settings that weasel presents. When the installer is complete and ESXi has rebooted, I connected to the host via the vSphere 5 client. The first thing I wanted to do was apply our Enterprise Plus license key and I noticed that a pre-existing key already exists (H541G-40353-08081-0PAAK-AEQ4Z - I assume this is an HP demo key). When I filled in our Enterprise Plus license key and click apply, I get the following error:

"A general system error occurred: Write failed file:/etc/vmware/vmware.lic"

Call "LicenseManager.UpdateLicense" for object "ha-license-manager" on ESXi "10.10.10.101" failed.

Upon further investigation after SSHing into the host, I discovered that /etc/vmware/vmware.lic appears to be flagged as readonly (-r--r--r--) when viewed with ls -la from the console.

I then wiped my test server, and reinstalled clean using VMware's iso (VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.0.0-469512.x86_64.iso).  I can confirm that in the VMware build, /etc/vmware/vmware.lic is flagged as readwrite (-rw------T) when viewed as ls -la from the console (side note - the VMware ISO uses a license key of 00000-00000-00000-00000-00000).

To fix this, I had to change the permissions on /etc/vmware/vmware.lic in the HP build of ESXi 5.0 using the following two commands:

chmod 600 /etc/vmware/vmware.lic

chmod +t /etc/vmware/vmware.lic

Once I did this, I was able to successfully install my Enterprise Plus License key.

HP - you need to fix your OEM install image that you have posted in the Software Depot.

dcc

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The key is for a Hypervisor (ESXi free) license.  I'm a bit surprised they would include one.

Were you trying to add the key after the initial boot or did you ever try to restart your host and then make the change after the 2nd boot up?  Dell had a problem with one of their releases for 4.1 in which they were running some post-install scripts so you would have to reboot the host again otherwise changes you made initially would be lost.

0 Kudos
dcolpitts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I upgraded one of my production VCs and ESXi hosts this evening to 5, and I used the HP ISO for the ESXi upgrade.  I rebooted twice and /etc/vmware/vmware.lic was still read-only.

I SSH'd in, ran CHMOD and was immediately able to license the host in the client.  So it is definitely an HP image issue.

dcc

0 Kudos
GiuseppeG
Expert
Expert

Same issue here: just downloaded yesterday the iso from HP website and it exactly the same version.

This issue isn't resolved by a reboot: the only way is to change the permissions on /etc/vmware/vmware.lic

A note: this fix survived a reboot, but after a full poweroff, hardware changes and reboot, the fix was gone..

I hope that HP will fix this annoying bug.

Giuseppe

@gguglie
vExpert 2011
Giuseppe | vExpert 2011, 2012 | @gguglie | http://virtualbyte.wordpress.com | | If you find this post useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

HP's SW Depot site specifically says that this is the Hypervisor - i.e. the free version of ESXi.  Nowhere does it seem to say that this download is intended to be full version.

By the looks of the SW depot images, there isn't a full ESXi 5.0 release from HP yet.

The 3 choices at https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=SVIRTUAL are:

VMware ESX 4 and Updates$0.0 USDreceive for free
VMware vSphere Hypervisor 4 (ESXi) and Updates$0.0 USDreceive for free
VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5 (ESXi) and Updates $0.0 USDreceive for free

I believe we're looking for a "VMware ESXi 5 and Updates" or something similar to that...  It's time for somebody to call HP...

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
deceit
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I can confirm that whilst using 5.0_Aug_2011_ESXi_HD_USB_SDImgeInstlr_Z7550_00204.iso I experienced the same issue also.

ESXi 5 hosts were able to join Vcenter temporarily and then timed out with a disconnect. Attemps to rejoin the device resulted in a disconnection with a few seconds and the write failed errors to /etc/vmware/vmware.lic

I have deleted the file and joined 2 hosts successfully.

After a reboot the issue reoccurs:

2011-09-06T05:46:24.178Z [6CEF1B90 info 'Vmomi' opID=HB-host-10735@53-ab352ee3-b3] Throw vmodl.fault.SystemError
2011-09-06T05:46:24.178Z [6CEF1B90 info 'Vmomi' opID=HB-host-10735@53-ab352ee3-b3] Result:
--> (vmodl.fault.SystemError) {
-->    dynamicType = <unset>,
-->    faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,
-->    reason = "Write failed file:/etc/vmware/vmware.lic",
-->    msg = "",
--> }

I've confirmed with Vmware that this issue is occuring for others, the only alternative work around is to use the vmware version and inject your own drivers as required.

Ta

0 Kudos
sc_2111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been given a possible solution from HP competency center

1. Execute on the command line of the particular ESX host: “esxcli software vib remove -n hp-esx-license --no-live-install”
  2. Connect with the VI client directly as root to the host and select by right click to “shutdown” the host.

Power on the host and select let it be licensed

I've not yet tested it but if anyone can and post the results is appreciated

thanks SC

0 Kudos
Paul11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can confirm, that this solution solves the problem:

# esxcli software vib remove -n hp-esx-license --no-live-install

Removal Result

Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.

Reboot Required: true

VIBs Installed:

VIBs Removed: Hewlett-Packard_bootbank_hp-esx-license_1.0-03

VIBs Skipped:

After Power off:

# ls -l /etc/vmware/vmware.lic

-rw------T 1 root root 30 Aug 19 01:41 /etc/vmware/vmware.lic

After Connect to VCenter:

# ls -l /etc/vmware/vmware.lic

-rw------- 1 root root 29 Sep 8 09:34 /etc/vmware/vmware.lic

Thanks for the solution.

Paul

0 Kudos
MallocArray
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys. You saved my bacon.  I downloaded the HP image and ran into the same issue.  I thought I was going to have to revert back to 4.1 for my hosts until I found this post.  Now I think I'll be up and running.

When HP releases the full 5.0 that doesn't include a key, do we need to re-install or will we be ok from here on?

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

HP now has this in their "ReadMe" and a vib to fix it via esxcli. The readme also says they're putting out a new iso in mid September with this issue fixed...

0 Kudos
StephenS
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

HP also has a Customer Advisory posted with a resolution to this issue.  It is located at http://g1w0134.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03005742&lang=en&cc=us&ta...

Regards,

Stephen

0 Kudos
StephenS
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just to clarify, the free version of ESXi can be the full version as long as an appropriate license is applied.  There is no need to uninstall the free version, or reinstall another version, to get to vSphere Enterprise Plus level features.  Simply apply an appropriate license to the host and the features will become available.

Regards,

Stephen

0 Kudos
eegger
Contributor
Contributor

I had this issue happen on 1 of 6 of my Esxi Hosts, it would not take the new licence. The 1 that didnt work I didn't follow these steps as I did on the first one.

it seem to work correctly when I followed these steps.

1. enter maintain mode of host to upgrade.

2. remove the host from the cluster

3. install esxi 5 and add back to cluster

4. apply correct vmware 5 licence

0 Kudos
morrisosu
Contributor
Contributor

This post saved my skin, thanks so much!

Shane

0 Kudos
ZKrieger
Contributor
Contributor

im a complete newbie when it comes to ESXi, does anyone have a link to a step by step on how to apply this fix?  HPs documentation, as usual, assumes you are already completely fluent with the base OS and provides no detail.

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

ZKrieger wrote:

im a complete newbie when it comes to ESXi, does anyone have a link to a step by step on how to apply this fix?  HPs documentation, as usual, assumes you are already completely fluent with the base OS and provides no detail.

1. open ILO connection to the server

2. enable ESXi Shell -from troubleshooting options. Press esc.

3. Press Alft+F1

4. Put root's credentials

5. run the following command esxcli software vib install -d /<path to file>/hp-esx-license-1.0.5.zip"

I assume you know how to copy the file into ESXi, take a hint use datastore view and browse to it and upload.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
VMjkasalVM
Contributor
Contributor

The new ISO is out. The release note mention that this was fixed.

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPVM09

**Edit**

I just heard from a buddy of mine that the link still goes to the Aug version. I click the link now and I too get the Aug version. Their load balancers might not be working correctly or changes are syncing. Try back later maybe.

What I downloaded was the following...

VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5 (ESXi) and Updates - 5.0 Sep2011 ESXi HD-USB-SDImgeInstlr (Z7550-00235.iso)

0 Kudos
Phaedrus1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a summary written on the following post for HP license issues. Pretty simple once unveiled.

See http://communities.vmware.com/message/1866045#1866045

Andy

0 Kudos