VMware Communities
garethy
Contributor
Contributor

Wireless device, USB Issue, FreeBSD.

Hi,

I have come across a problem using the latest (7.1.4) version of VMware workstation for Windows x64.

If I run pfSense 2.0 RC1 i386 as a guest with it set to enable USB 2 then when I plug my Edimax7711Uan wireless USB device in and attach it to the guest OS I get the following error message.

'uhub_reattach_port: port 1 reset failed, error=USB_ERR_TIMEOUT'

If I set the USB for the guest OS to use USB1 then I do not receive the error and the device is detected correctly by pfSense but it does not function correctly. I'm basically trying to use the USB device as a wireless access point but can not connect to it. See here for further information: http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,35718.0.html

If I downgrade VMware to version 6.5.5 and set the guest to use USB 2 I no longer receive the above error message, the device is correctly identified by pfSense and works as an access point as it should. As a sidenote, I also found the device works as it should if I use Virtualbox and USB1, again if I use USB2 in Virtualbox I get the same error as above.

Could someone let me know what option I need to enable, the required log files and where to send them for the USB issue to be resolved? or would it be easier to file a technical support request?

Regards,

Gareth.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
garethy
Contributor
Contributor

For info I've tried the device with the usb.quirks as listed in kb774 and the device still does not work.

I am currently waiting on a vmware customer support request to change my email address and then I'll submit a technical support request.

Regards,

Gareth.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

downgrade to WS 6.5.5 is iseless - go to 6.5.4 - that has a good USB implementation
6.5.5 already uses the new one

0 Kudos
garethy
Contributor
Contributor

Well 6.5.5 is working fine at the moment but if I get more problems I'll give 6.5.4 a try.

Thanks,

Gareth.

0 Kudos