VMware Horizon Community
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View Client and Virtual Desktop time

Hi,

After the time change this weekend I observed that the no matter what the time on the virtual desktop is, the virtual desktop presents the time of the View Client to the user. That means even if the virtual desktop is not updating for DST (which was in our case - we found it while logging in via the console), if the users machine which is running the View Client is updated the user will see the correct time in the virtual desktop.

Does anyone know how this works?

How does the View Client enforce the view client's hosting machine to enforce its time on the virtual desktop?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This feature is called "Time Zone Forwarding", its enabled by default and can be disabled with a GPO if desired.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This feature is called "Time Zone Forwarding", its enabled by default and can be disabled with a GPO if desired.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Linjo.

Just wanted to find out how this really works - is the client enforcing the time zone forwarding?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure if enforcing is the right word, its more the vDesktop that picks up the timezone that the client has.

The vDesktop actually knows a lot about the client, have a look in the registry in the vDesktop under HKCU\Volatile Environment

// Linjo

0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

one thing I have found is that if you change the time of the machine running the client and then connect to the virtual desktop the time does not adjust to the time of the view client host machine. Is this expected behavior?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would expect that type of behavior.  Remember it doesn't take the time of the client it takes the Time Zone. 

0 Kudos