VMware Cloud Community
adamadamadam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P2V HP Proliant DL380 G4 Linux Red Hat 5.1

Hi

I am trying to P2V a HP Proliant DL380 G4 with Linux Red Hat 5.1.

I did a basic cold migration and found I was getting kernel panics. Looking through the errors this is because the cold migration doesn’t supply the right drivers etc for the raid controller etc.

What I would like to know is:

What is the supported/proper way to P2V a Linux OS with RAID configurations etc?

Is there any documentation?

Personally Im lazy and would like to see some point and click software if thats possible.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have P2Ved a bunch of these - but to be honest, we had problems in the start and ended up use Platespin Migrate (PowerConvert)

we spoke to one of our IT resellers and they gave you a free licesnse for a migration or two - so at least we could test the product.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have P2Ved a bunch of these - but to be honest, we had problems in the start and ended up use Platespin Migrate (PowerConvert)

we spoke to one of our IT resellers and they gave you a free licesnse for a migration or two - so at least we could test the product.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The current support method for converting physical Linux machines is documented on page 44 of the Converter 4.3 Users Guide at http://www.vmware.com/pdf/convsa_43_guide.pdf

As I recall though, logical volumes will not be maintained in the new virtual machine.

adamadamadam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi BulletProof

Im looking at this now.

Did it do the job with no fuss? i.e. is it wizard based point and click?

Hopefully going to get an eval copy.

0 Kudos
tkutil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I dont know if this pertains to Linux, but I just found out that VMware doesn't support cold clone migration, which is probably why you have to download an older converter to get the cold clone ISO. 

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are correct. The 4.x versions of Converter Standalone do not come with a Cold Clone CD. Hence why you would need to download the Cold Clone CD from Converter Standalone version 3.x.x.

0 Kudos
tkutil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can still get cold clone with VMware-convertercd-4.1.1-206170, but it is based on 3.x

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Converter 4.1.1 is actually steming from the version of Converter which is shipped with the vCenter Server product, and you can only download/obtain it if you have a valid SnS contract for vCenter Server.

Converter Standalone 4.x.x does not offer a Cold Clone CD.

So, if you have a valid SnS contract for vCenter Server, then you can either download and use the 4.1.1 version that comes with vCenter Server or the Converter Standalone 3.x.x Cold Clone CD.

If you do not have a valid SnS contract for vCenter Server, then the only way you can obtain the Converter Cold Clone CD is download and use the one that was shipped with Converter Standalone 3.x.x.

Hope that clarifies things a bit further.