VMware Communities
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

[solved] VMware Workstation 7.1.3 Linux kernel 2.6.36 patch, anyone?

A new service/bugfix VMWare Workstation was released yesterday, unfortunately even though changelog mentions vmware modules were made compatible with newer Linux kernels, VMWare modules still don't compile under kernel 2.6.36.

Stopping VMware services:
   VMware USB Arbitrator                                   [  OK  ]
   VM communication interface socket family                [  OK  ]
   Virtual machine communication interface                 [  OK  ]
   Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]
   Blocking file system                                    [  OK  ]
Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.36-ic/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. \
  MODULEBUILDDIR= modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.36'
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driverLog.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/iommu.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function ‘init_module’:
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:425:15: error: ‘struct file_operations’ has no member named ‘ioctl’
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.36'
make: *** [http://vmmon.ko|http://vmmon.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only'
Unable to install vmmon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
leigh123linux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Noel
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you tried manually applying my previous patches? I haven't downloaded 7.1.3, yet, but am in the process. Will look at updating patches tonight.

0 Kudos
leigh123linux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try this patch.

0 Kudos
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It worked perfectly, thank you.

If you don't understand and don't want to understand how to apply the patch from the previous message, just download the script below and run it under root user or sudo.

P.S. If this script refuses to run after you removed a previous VMWare WS and installed a new one, remove /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source-backup directory.

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am downloading 7.1.3 from 7.1.2 directly and since I've patched the install using Noels' original patches for 2.6.36 I'll see if it works after WS does its uninstall/reinstall thing. I am running Fedora Rawhide with a 2.6.36.x kernel that , when upldated from 2.6.36.1 to 2.6.36.5 recomplied and worked perfectly

Marty Felker

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

7.1.3 upgrade failaed to compile on my Fedora Rawhide but removing the source-backup directory and applying the newst patch worked perfectly. Later I'll ujpgrade my Windows WS (yes I bought two licenses) and after two reboots that should work as well.

Update via edit.

WS 7.1.3 was installed on Fedora 15 (Rawhide) by removing the source-backup directory and applying the patch from Noel - in this for kernel 2.6.36-5.

Marty Felker

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

A patch supporting 2.6.37 (and also 2.6.36) is available here.

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This patch works perfectly. Thanks again to Noel and Birdie! A few more of these and I'll start to understand how it's done.

0 Kudos
frenchrh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't seem to be able to apply the patch, or run the .sh script to patch VMware 7.1.3 so that it works with the most recent Kernel.

1. I'm running Kubuntu 10.10 and have to say sudo sh patch-modules_v5.sh

I get complaints from trying to run the patch, if I am using sudo, it says "You must be root to run this script"

2. I activated root account so I can log in as root using su -

And I still get the "You must be root to run this script". But I'm logged in as root.

3. And If, while logged in as root, I try ./patch-modules_v5.sh then I get "./patch-modules_v5.sh: line 27: command not found"

So I'm in the category of not being able to successfully apply the patch. Any suggestions on what I'm missing?

thanks

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same problem. I just edit the .sh file and comment out the line that checks for root. It all works great after that.

I still run the "sudo sh ..." command

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1) Have you made the shell script executable sudo chmod +x

patch-modules_v5.sh ?

2) More importantly are you suing the correct shell script?

3) you need not provide root with a password but there hve been a fews times I needed it. be a few times I found the need for it. Any you don't (or at least I didn't) need to expeictably open a sh to run the script =- as directory where the script lives/

patch-modules_v5

4) I myself have not used Kubuntu 101.10 - rather ubuntu 10.10 . Nnow I'm running "Natty" (11.04) and WS using the universal patch provided by Noel.

The original parch for 2.6.36 worked after I played with ahile. Now it works like a charm.

Marty

Marty Felker
0 Kudos