VMware Cloud Community
rfreytag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 4.1 with Whitebox h/w reports"vmkctl.HostCtlException: Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/vmfs3: Failure

I am stuck trying to install ESXi 4.1 on my hardware. The full error I am seeing is...

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "ThinESX.py", line 8, in module Installer.Start

File "/usr/lib/vmware/installer/Core/Log.py", line 46, in wrapper return func(*args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/lib/vmware/installer/ThinESXInstall.py", line 38, in Start Install.Start(self, data)

File "/usr/lib/vmware/installer/Core/Log.py", line 46, in wrapper return func(*args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/lib/vmware/installer/Core/Install.py", line 40, in Start data = self.Steps\[self._Dispacher.CurrentStep\](data)

File "/usr/lib/vmware/installer/ThinESX/ThinESXInstallerSteps.py", line 70, in TargetSelectionStep datastores = DatastoreEnumeration(None)

File "/usr/lib/vmware/installer/Core/DatastoreEnumeration.py", line 15, in __init__ vmfs3Module.Load()

File "/lib/python2.5/vmkctl.py", line 11328, in Load def Load(args): return vmkctl.ModuleImplLoad(args) vmkctl.HostCtlException: Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/vmfs3: Failure

The last line is the error. It mentions the _vmkctl.HostCtlException which seems to be cited in these articles:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1592626#1592626 ...and...

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1617576#1617576 ...and...

http://tinyurl.com/3x2rxps

So I assume the problem is the NIC. I installed the RealTek 8139 NIC (RTL8139) which http://ultimatewhitebox.com/nic/15 says should work with ESXi 3.5 (guessing 4.1 too?). The card would not be recognized so I installed a RTL8169 which worked great under Ubuntu Desktop. However, I still get the same error as above.

My complete hardware description is:

INTEL BX80601920 Core i7-920 2.66GHz Intel QPI 4.80 GT/s Socket 1366 Desktop Processor

ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 Intel X58 Core i7 Socket 1366 PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) ATX Motherboard

CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C9 6GB (3x2GB) PC3-12800+ (DDR3-1600+) CLTriple Channel Memory

PIONEER DVR-116DBK 20X IDE DVD Burner Black Drive Bulk (mentioning it just in case)

RealTek RTL8169 Ethernet 10/100/1000

All the h/w seems to be listed at http://ultimatewhitebox.com/ except the specific model RTL8169 NIC.

I still see the error at top:

File "/lib/python2.5/vmkctl.py", line 11328, in Load def Load(args): return vmkctl.ModuleImplLoad(args) vmkctl.HostCtlException: Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/vmfs3: Failure

Is it still a NIC problem??

If you know this error and how to solve it I sure could use the help.

Thanks,

Richard

'rfreytag'

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rfreytag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Took the plunge, bought and installed an approved ethernet card and I got past that error.

Question: VMware why make something free to entice the newbies and not have broadly informative error messages?

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Took the plunge, bought and installed an approved ethernet card and I got past that error.

Question: VMware why make something free to entice the newbies and not have broadly informative error messages?

I see it as a way to weed out the wannabe's/posers from using it... People with enough gray matter to figure things out, or know how to pull on the correct resources will figure things out (or get the right assistance), will be able to install the products and use them...

Hardware compatibility is CRITICAL with ESX/ESXi... Just because something is listed for a previous release doesn't mean it will work on the newer/current release... That's the reason for having the VMware HCL where you can actually select which version you need to check compatibility with... What you faced is just another reason I won't go the whitebox route, or use realtek controllers in any host... Sticking with either Intel (primary choice) or Broadcom NIC's from the VMware HCL means you will have compatibility... Just as you need to select RAID controllers from the HCL and systems with the correct processor for the release you're looking to run...

Another point where so many seem to fall short, or flat on their faces, is reading at least some of the documentation available... Things like the configuration maximums and install guides should be required reading BEFORE you can download the products. There are far too many threads here created by people whining about not seeing all of their storage, when it's over the 2TB-512B limitation...

BTW, before I even thought about installing ESX/ESXi for the first time, I actually took the VI3 course (the one that was available at the time)... Yes, it's not cheap, but going through training before trying to use something like ESX/ESXi/vSphere can't be recommended highly enough. Even if you go for one fo the quick (online even) courses, it's money well spent...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
rfreytag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem with the "weeding people out" notion is that those people will see an uninformative error, assume it is the software, and blame VMware - trashing their reputation. Better to protect one's reputation from those that need to be "weeded out."

I am a paying customer of VMware Workstation and have found the support people first rate. I have written letters saying so to their management. I have set up and run (and run to the limits of) VMware Server. That said I am very, very green where running hypervisors is concerned. I am budget constrained so I have a certain perspective that is not that far removed from the low-end of VMware's customer base.

0 Kudos
replicnt6
Contributor
Contributor

I see it as a way to weed out the wannabe's/posers from using it... People with enough gray matter to figure things out, or know how to pull on the correct resources will figure things out (or get the right assistance), will be able to install the products and use them...

Sounds like a pretty clever strategy. When you try to entice people into using your software by offering a free version, they are going to want to experiment with it on hardware that they have lying around. Cryptic error messages weed out a lot more than newbies. They weed out experienced people who say "if the installer is this awful, how much quality can expect from the rest of the product? How much time am I going to expend getting this thing to work?"

"Out-of-the-box experience" isn't just for newbies.

Hardware compatibility is CRITICAL with ESX/ESXi... Just because something is listed for a previous release doesn't mean it will work on the newer/current release... That's the reason for having the VMware HCL where you can actually select which version you need to check compatibility with... What you faced is just another reason I won't go the whitebox route, or use realtek controllers in any host... Sticking with either Intel (primary choice) or Broadcom NIC's from the VMware HCL means you will have compatibility... Just as you need to select RAID controllers from the HCL and systems with the correct processor for the release you're looking to run...

Yeah, it's not as if the installer says: "VMWare ESXi 4.1.0 installs on most systems but only systems on VMware's Hardware Compatibility Guide (HCG) are supported. Please consult VMware's HCG on vmware.com". Oh wait, it does. I wonder what they actually mean by "most"?

0 Kudos
emailsbecker
Contributor
Contributor

I registered just so I could +1 what replicnt6 said, for 2 reasons:

1. We were ALL noobs once.
  2. Refusing to help - or making help difficult to obtain - impedes progress.

I have no patience for individuals who choose to impede progress for personal pleasure.  My father was that type of man, and as an adult I can see what effect that had on his life.  He may have enjoyed it from time to time, but overall he suffered for it, as did the people around him - and I don't even mean to say he did anything directly to me... there are choices he made in his career that affected us as a family.  As an adult now I can see the domino effect.  A lot of people either don't see it or choose to discount it, but little things we do can have a much wider range of affect than anticipated.

But back to the topic at hand.  It irritates me that this product completely aborts the install if the NIC isn't supported.  I too went out and paid for a supported NIC card after the onboard card failed.  I've shut down the on-board NIC via the BIOS and installed the supported card, and it still errors out at the same spot, with the same error.  IMO, the product should load with a message that the NIC is not supported.  That way the user can (a) attempt multiple cards without having to install from scratch each time, or (b) test and play with the product as needed in advance.  Instead I have to put this to the side and wait another week while yet another NIC is delivered.  That's time I could be spending getting to know the product. Instead, it will be time I spend getting to know another product.  If I find one that does what I need it to before the other NIC arrives I just might return it and proceed without ESXi.  As rfreytag noted, in the long run this is unwise procedure for VMware.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Communities.

It is unfortunate that you have had problems. Building a whitebox server or trying to install on a desktop motherboard it tough at best. ESX(i) is intended to be a stable reliable platform for business class software. To be stable and reliable it has some very strict hardware requirements. The Hardware Compatibility List http://vmware.com/go/hcl represents hardware that has been tested, approved and supported both by VMware and the hardware manufacturers, to operate in a virtual environment. A purpose built server from a major manufacturer (HP, Dell, IBM, Fujitsu etc) are tested and configured as a complete entity. Firmware updates are applied to the the server as a whole from the BIOS, NIC cards etc right down to the individual hard drives. Picking the right pieces and keeping them working together is usually beyond the resources or capabilities of anyone person.

Sorry to go so long into why. You can have a look at the http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php whitebox HCL and forums for assistance with unsupported hardware. There are components and complete setups that have been shown to work together outside those on the official VMware HCL..

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Normix
Contributor
Contributor

+1 to rfreytag, replicnt6, and emailsbecker

I think we get that it will definitely work if we go buy and assemble systems on the HCG.

The  purpose of free ESXi is to learn and test on hardware lying around so you can show stuff to management before you request budget.

It's not a feature to give an error that seems like it's about vmfs3 when it's really about the NIC.

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wanted to throw in my 2¢

I built my first whitebox last fall. I was just starting to use the vSphere client at work and was a complete noob to the virtual environment. Through trial and error (equal portions of each) I got it going and have been constantly learning since. I think it's awesome that VMware offers a fully functional virtual server environment completely FREE! I went out and picked up 'Mastering VMware vSphere 4' and am now starting to work more with HA and FT nodes.

I had the same issue installing ESXi4.1 on my box - had to pick up an Intel NIC. It literally took me about 30mins to figure out that my onboard NIC was the culprit. The vSphere support forums here are awesome.

Thank you so much VMware for offering such a great product absolutely free!

Edit - rfreytag, I put 'vmkctl.HostCtlException' in a Google search and the very first link points to this thread - http://communities.vmware.com/thread/277183?start=0&tstart=0, which talks about the NIC being the culprit because it's not supported...

0 Kudos