VMware Horizon Community
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No available servers for this transfer

Hello everyone.

I'm testing VMware View 4.5 with Local Mode.

Environment:

VCenter 2.5 and View Composer 2.5 are installed on a same server.

Connection Server 4.5 is installed on a Windows 2008 R2 (x64) server. Transfer repository sharing is opened on this server.

Transfer Server 4.5 is installed on another Windows 2008 R2 (x64) server.

Guest: XP SP3

VMView with agent: XP XP3

All servers are in the same domain. Network is good.

Any client in this network can access VMware View desktop as remote session without any problem.

When I try to check-out. I get this error at 88%:

Local Mode Operation StartTransfer failed for Desktop xxx, ID: xxx. Error message: failed to start the disk transfer: com.vmware.vdi.desktoptracker.MVDIOperationControl$MVDIOperationException: No available servers for this transfer. Please try again later, or contact your system administrator.

What's the problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well.. somewhere near the 88% the transfer server VM needs to mount the user disk so datastore access is required from the host running the Transfer Server VM; when I look at the log files you've posted I see "No ready transfer servers have access to the storage for VM" and this really makes me thing that the user disk datastore is not seen by the host running the Transfer Server.

Can you try to logon into vCenter with the user defined on the Connection Server and try to manually hot add a user disk to the Transfer Server ?

-

If you find this post helpful please don't forget to award points to it.

----- If you find this post helpful please don't forget to award points to it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've tried to reinstall transfer server system to Windows Server 2003 x86 R2 (SP2) and moved the transfer repository from connection server to transfer server. The error is still the same.

Do I need more than 1 transfer server? I have only one desktop to be checked out.

0 Kudos
Lazlo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just to verify a couple things:

• The transfer fails at 88% or 8%? at 88% the transfer should be almost complete, at 8%, the transfer should be about to start.

• What kind of pool are you trying to check out? Manual? Linked clone? Full clone?

• What's the status of the transfer server? Is it in the 'Ready' state?

Can the client ping the transfer server? The client being able to connect to the desktop remotely isn't an indication that it will be able to check out the desktop based on the network configuration (the transfer server has nothing to do with remote connections).

-Lazlo...

Lazlo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

One other note: I wouldn't recommend having the Transfer Server Repository on the same system as the Connection Broker. The purpose of the Transfer Server was to offload the burden of Local Mode Desktop transfers from the connection broker (like it was when Offline Desktop was just experimental from 4.0 and earlier).

Also, unless you're dealing with linked clone desktops, you technically don't need the transfer server repository setup. It's still recommended that you set one up in case you'll create a linked clone pool down the road.

-Lazlo...

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for you reply.

1 The transfer fails at 88% often, at 10% sometime.

2 Pool: Automatic Pool - Linked Clone.

3 Transfer server is ready and image is published.

4 From the client, I can ping to all servers: vcenter, connection server, transfer server and domain controller. And, I tested to visit the network sharing directly from client with no error. Also, I use my browser from client to visit the transfer server, "It works!" returned.

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found that the status when error message box raised:

Checking out: Releasing disk

0 Kudos
Lazlo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

ok, does it sit there a long time before it finally times out? There could be an issue on the transfer server side. It sounds like it's at the state where the TS is unmounting the disk. There should be something more specific in one of the log files.

Check the client's log files for any additional information at the time of the disconnection.

If there's nothing there. Note the time it happened and check the transfer server's log.

This isn't something I've run across, I'm not sure what could keep the TS from releasing the disk. If it has enough permission to mount it, it should have enough permission to unmount it (one would think).

-Lazlo...

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess it's not about timed out. The error occurred no more than 1 sec after the percentage number changed.

The server log i've posted in this thread.

Client Logs:

09:32:41,900 ERROR <1940> VMHSLaunchVM failed: There is no VMware process running for config file D:\VM\Dev\Visual Studio 2008 With Oracle Client\CN=VS2008Oracle,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int.vmx

Either run "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Client\Local Mode\x64\vmware-vmx.exe D:\VM\Dev\Visual Studio 2008 With Oracle Client\CN=VS2008Oracle,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int.vmx" manually on the server,

or register the config file.

09:37:21,914 ERROR start-disk-transfer (start-disk-transfer) response xml ERROR = failed to start the disk transfer: com.vmware.vdi.desktoptracker.MVDIOperationControl$MVDIOperationException: No available servers for this transfer. Please try again later, or contact your system administrator.

09:37:21,919 ERROR OnOVDICompletion: operation failed: No available servers for this transfer. Please try again later, or contact your system administrator.

I guess the "Releasing" is the last text for the job its finished. May be the problem is it cannot start the next job.

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found that all files in Published folder of Repository has been downloaded to local except a file with ".transfer" before the error occurred.

I think there may be some error while client gets the different data between this vm and the published image.

From this local computer, I can ping to all esx servers and vcenter.

0 Kudos
Lazlo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Since it says there are no available transfer servers, I'd say the the next step is to look at the transfer server log files and the Broker log files. I'm interested to see what the transfer server thinks is going on at this point. I have a feeling the answer lies there.

-Laz...

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I read though the logs from transfer server and not found any problem.

Lots of publishing, removing and http get. No error.

I guess there may be no error on transfer server. coz it supplied all files it contains.

It may be something wrong on connection server that the client cannot get the increasing data based on the snapshot published.

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found something interesting in connection server log:

15:44:12,758 INFO <Thread-33> (Request31) User Allen connected to the Secure Gateway Server - session ID: 73FA6A03B1DF600FDFB04060E71943BE

15:44:25,660 ERROR <TP-Processor8> (SESSION:E73D23D677398BB018AF01FB65448177;73FA6A03B1DF600FDFB04060E71943BE) No transfer server available for transferring VM: /NTI56/vm/Personal/VMwareView/Deployment/VS2008Oracle/VS2008Ora-3

15:44:25,660 ERROR <TP-Processor8> (SESSION:E73D23D677398BB018AF01FB65448177;73FA6A03B1DF600FDFB04060E71943BE) Reason: No ready transfer servers have access to the storage for VM moid: vm-2691 , disk key:3000

15:44:25,662 ERROR <TP-Processor8> (SESSION:E73D23D677398BB018AF01FB65448177;73FA6A03B1DF600FDFB04060E71943BE) Hot add disk failure for user: Allen desktopDn:CN=VS2008Oracle,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int com.vmware.vdi.broker.DesktopsHandler.a(SourceFile:3120)

com.vmware.vdi.desktoptracker.MVDIOperationControl$MVDIOperationException: No available servers for this transfer. Please try again later, or contact your system administrator.

at com.vmware.vdi.desktopcontroller.VirtualCenterDriver.a(SourceFile:5726)

at com.vmware.vdi.desktopcontroller.PoolManager.mapVmDiskForTransfer(SourceFile:603)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.DesktopsHandler.a(SourceFile:3071)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.xml.ProcessorStartDiskTransfer.a(SourceFile:162)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.xml.AbstractProcessor.b(SourceFile:82)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.servlets.XmlServlet.doPost(SourceFile:71)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:647)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)

at net.propero.modules.properOps.ManagementFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:608)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)

at net.propero.portal.filters.AuthorizationFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:331)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)

at net.propero.portal.filters.ProperoAuthFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:426)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.filters.ClientAuthFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:103)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.filters.XmlAuthFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:73)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.filters.EncodingFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:28)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.filters.ServerConfigurationFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:144)

at com.vmware.vdi.broker.filters.LoggingFilter.doFilter(SourceFile:107)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:172)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)

at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:200)

at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:283)

at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:773)

at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:703)

at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:895)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

15:44:25,662 INFO <TP-Processor8> (SESSION:E73D23D677398BB018AF01FB65448177;73FA6A03B1DF600FDFB04060E71943BE) HOT_ADD_DISK_REQUEST_FAILURE:Desktop:CN=VS2008Oracle,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int;USER:NTI56\Allen;USERSID:S-1-5-21-568170557-2811786938-277114995-1218;USERDN:CN=S-1-5-21-568170557-2811786938-277114995-1218,CN=ForeignSecurityPrincipals,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int;Server:cn=37faa2ca-ea92-4482-8150-ba3fd1dbd798,ou=servers,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int;

0 Kudos
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The host running the Transfer Server VM has access to the the VDI system/user disk datastores ? Are you using roles ? Then check if you've got the following permissions: http://bit.ly/aEOLEM

-

Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello jbrazio,

I don't know how to answer your question.

My transfer server VM is running in the same cluster as others. All esx servers in that cluster have a same FC SAN, which contains all data of all VMs.

I don't know anything about roles. Are you talking about vcenter permission? The account running VMware View Connection server and Transfer Server is in the admin group of vcenter and domain admin group of the domain, so it can deploy or delete VMs. And, this account is in the Administrators group of Transfer Server too.

0 Kudos
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well.. somewhere near the 88% the transfer server VM needs to mount the user disk so datastore access is required from the host running the Transfer Server VM; when I look at the log files you've posted I see "No ready transfer servers have access to the storage for VM" and this really makes me thing that the user disk datastore is not seen by the host running the Transfer Server.

Can you try to logon into vCenter with the user defined on the Connection Server and try to manually hot add a user disk to the Transfer Server ?

-

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The user i specified in view connection server and transfer server (if did), is in a security group which is set as Administrator role in the top level of vcenter.

I can use this account to logon vSphere Client to do anything I want. This security group is the only group which is set as Administrator role and contains all service accounts for esx, vcenter and all other vm service accounts. If it's some problem in permission inheritance of vSphere, I should have no account usable at all.

The problem still exists.

Edit: I found some LUN is not in the right status, I'll try to fix it then test again. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, it's the problem of LUN. No more error now. Thanks all.

0 Kudos
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Glad I could help.

-

0 Kudos
dewan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I had similar issue where i was getting exactly the same error msg.

I was able to fix this issue by moving the transfer server to the same datastore where the desktop vm reside.

hopefully that should resolve your issue as well.

Regards,

Abi

0 Kudos