VMware Communities
EinHexenMeister
Contributor
Contributor

select shared folder drive letter

hi 2 all of U !!!

is there a way to select which drive letter a newly shared folder, or any shared folder will get, or change it in config file or windows later, etc .... other than later on using the "subst" command, which makes some of my borland sw tools upset

i run ws 7.1 on win7 x64 host

guest xp32

1st of all the win7 networking is sooooo complex that i'm not able to create a host shared folder which i can access later on from any xp based net'ed machine ... i thought to connect it through the bridged interface ... so i had to "subst" a host folder to a drive letter ... vmware was not able to access a win7 shared folder directly ... it's an issue between me and win7 ... too complex

anyway the subst of a win7 host folder to a win7 host drive letter worked

the vmware shared folder now worked and became Y: ... it does not seem to allow for a choice of drive letter Smiley Sad

now i had to subst a folder on the Y: drive to make it drive E:

reason for all this is the compatibility of a to me larger borland C++ project development which has to run on several older non vmware machines unchanged and all is based upon a certain folder struct on drive e:

now one of the subst (either host subst or guest subst) seems to upset the borland linker and generates a error which seems not fixable ... it claims that a borland ide config file on the e: drive is already open in the ide and so on

fix for now was to create a virtual disk and make it E: ... but now i have to copy any results with a tool "beyond compare 2" back and forth.

also i'm not so sure how this addidional e: drive ... in persistent mode will handle snapshots and cloning ... i want to share this data drive in a seperate folder placed on E: between several vm machines ... one at a time

hope the explanation was not to complicated

is there a way to give a shared drive it's own individual drive letter ???

thanks in advance ... vielen dank im voraus

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

hope the explanation was not to complicated

It is Smiley Wink

To assign a drive letter to a shared folder you:

either you can use:

net use y: "
vmware-host\Shared Folders"

this will map a network drive which contains the shared folders in it...

... or you use the deep link:

net use y: "
vmware-host\Shared Folders\<your-shared-folder>"

to directly map a shared folder as a network drive.

BTW: The easiest way to find out what you need on the command line, is to map the "Shared Folders" by right clicking it in the Windows Explorer and then run "net use" to see how it was mapped.

André

0 Kudos
joehecht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been meaning to post a new feature request for VMWorkstation's "Map as network drive in Windows Hosts" shared folders option.

In a nutshell, a user should be able to specify the drive letter to be used, and this setting should be supported in the .vmx file.

I love VMWorkstation, but IMHO, this is yet another (rare) example where a great feature was either slightly shortsighted, sunk by the guy in UI that dis not want to add a listbox with the drive letters, or was platypused by a pointer hair boss.

Best of luck with the compilation... Gotta love those old Borland compilers. I still use them (a lot)!

J

0 Kudos
EinHexenMeister
Contributor
Contributor

thanks 2 all of U !!!

well ... the "net use" command seems interesting and might fix it

i never had to much of a chance to use it so far ... my solution with the additional persistent virtual drive works so far and i don't want to rock my vm-boat too much right now ... first i need to get a complete workable configuration of all my tools and then i will optimize

as far as the thought of implementing a dropbox with available drive letters in the UI ... would have been a really good idea ... what i don't know is ... are all the drive letters in use known at the time of selection in the ui before running the machine ??? ... if not it would have been nice to after the machine is running change it Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

thanks 2 all of U again ... vielen dank

0 Kudos