VMware Communities
Zick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

missing dndlog.conf

I created a full clone of of one of my XP sessions and copied it to a brand new Windows 7 installation. It loaded and started up just fine but now when I shut it down I receive this message;

Cannot open file "C:\ProgramData\VMware\dndlogs\dndlog.conf": The system cannot find the path specified. You have just powered off the virtual machine. What would you like to do? (Just power off or Take a Snapshot)

How can I resolve this?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
slogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The log file you are seeing complaints about is an optional DnD feature that we introduced recently to allow for configuration/control of drag and drop. The feature is experimental/prototypical in nature, and is not documented anywhere as of yet.

The error message about the missing log file is not related to any of the other error messages you see in that dialg. WS/Fusion does not require the log file to operate, and if missing, the feature that it supports is disabled. The dialog that you are seeing is an aggregation of independent issues.

You can work around the message for now by creating an empty version of the file:

<span class="mw-headline">Linux WS and Fusion

Using the touch command, create the file ~/.vmware/dndlogs/dndlog.conf (if necessary, create the directory dndlogs as well.

<span class="mw-headline"> Windows

Create the file c:\Users\All Users\Application Data\VMware\dndlogs\dndlog.conf

or

c:\ProgramData\VMware\dndlogs\dndlog.conf

I'm going to work on getting the error message to not display, so it doesn't cause further confusion in a future update. But the key takeaway is you can ignore the message about this missing conf file, or, if you choose, eliminate it by simply creating an empty version of the file.

Syd Logan

VMware

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
47 Replies
paulnorrisii
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have this same issue. I don't know if it has any significance, but it is disconcerting.

0 Kudos
nobby77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue on linux. The full path of the missing file is /home/user/.vmware/dndlogs/dndlog.conf.

0 Kudos
EdP2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same issue, but it has only taken place since updating to 7.1.2. (Due to always having problems with vmware's updater, I carried out a fresh install but let the system 'remove' the previous install).

Should have said that the error message dndlogs search path was in c:\program files etc - which has not been used at all for VMWare!

0 Kudos
Zick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also installed the latest version on my new machine. I can't remember what exact version I was using when I created the clone but I do know that it was a 7.x version.

Wonder if it's just a bug in the latest version?

0 Kudos
sfarmer1970
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also have the same problem.

0 Kudos
gigot07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With version 7.1.2 using win7, I get the missing "dndlog.conf " message when i created a virtual disk set up to access

direct to a partition on the second drive. When I delete the virtual disk, the virtual machine works ok.

0 Kudos
dap33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem, but in Linux and after upgrading my VMware Player to the 3.1.2 version.

After the VM crash I get this message: Cannot open file "/home/user/.vmware/dndlogs/dndlog.conf", and then (sometimes) also my host hangs.

0 Kudos
nobby77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sehr geehrter Geschäftspartner

Ich bin vom 6.10.2010 bis am 11.10.2010 nicht erreichbar.

Bei dringenden Anliegen melden Sie sich doch bitte via Hauptnummer (043 388 72 00) an unsere Administration.

Ihre Mail wird nicht weitergeleitet.

Freundliche Grüsse

Norbert Hamm

Bechtle Regensdorf AG

Bahnstrasse 58/60

CH-8105 Regensdorf

Telefon +41 43 388 72 88

Mobile +41 79 791 63 95

norbert.hamm@bechtle.ch

<mailto:norbert.hamm@bechtle.ch>www.bechtle.ch<http://www.bechtle.ch

0 Kudos
AndrewJ01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I get the same message but it relates to networking and not to virtual disks.

vcpu-0| http://msg.dictionary.load.openFailed Cannot open file "C:\ProgramData\VMware\dndlogs\dndlog.conf": The system cannot find the path specified.

vcpu-0| http://msg.vnet.connectvnet Could not connect Ethernet0 to virtual network "VMnet8". More information can be found in the vmware.log file.

vcpu-0| http://msg.device.startdisconnected Virtual device Ethernet0 will start disconnected.

The same vmx file works fine when I move it from my desktop (Windows 7) to my (very slow) laptop running Windows XP Professional SP2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

AndrewJ01

0 Kudos
EdP2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is starting to get irritating. I minimised the guest and left the computer alone for a while, on return the screen had an error message stating the following:

"Cannot open file "C:\ProgramData\VMware\dndlogs\dndlog.conf": The system cannot find the path specified.

Operation on file "C:\Users\User$\VMs\Vista64\Windows Vistax64-000005.vmdk" failed."

I have become so irritated with this 'bug' that I've made a zero length dndlog.conf file at that location to see what happens.

I just completed the step noted above when I noticed that the Vista Guest crashed about the same time as the error message (cause/effect?), but it puts it in the even more irritating category!

Make that very irritating as it would not allow me to resume the Guest - I could not afford to mess around so I went to an earlier snapshot and backups and just lost 4 hours work. Having done that I noticed that the Vista guest had 'logging' turned on - I'm fairly certain I have never allowed this, so it is now OFF - maybe that will eliminate the problem.

0 Kudos
PnwGuy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How did this get flagged as "possibly answered"? Does anyone see anything resembling a resolution posted above?

I too am having this problem, starting with 7.1.2. It seems the VMware workstation team is still taking one step forward and two steps back with each new release.

If they didn't make it so difficult to go backwards, I'm ready to go all the way back to 7.0 as each new release since then has just brought more irritation instead of less. I realize VMW is a complex product, and likely difficult to test, but the lack of official response to some of these problems is hard to excuse.

7.1.2 seriously broke networking for many users including me. And, after finding work arounds for that mess, now I'm having this dndlog.conf problem (obviously along with many others).

Can anyone from VMware help out here? I've purchased several VMware licenses, but the free VirtualBox is looking better and better.

0 Kudos
jvossler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem running VMplayer 3.1.2 on Ubuntu 8.04. I just down graded from VMware Server 2.x due to issues with running a console with firefox.

Each time I start the guest (windoze xp) I get the error.

Looks like VMware is not interested in supporting free products.

If I have to go to virtualbox I will make the same recommendation at work.

0 Kudos
Zick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have no idea how this thread got marked "Possibly answered" because I sure as hell didn't do it. I can't even find anywhere to undo it.

I'd just also like to report that for whatever reason I am not getting this error message about the missing dndlog.conf anymore. I haven't done anything except create a snapshot so I don't know if that fixed it or what.

0 Kudos
Zick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem running VMplayer 3.1.2 on Ubuntu 8.04. I just down graded from VMware Server 2.x due to issues with running a console with firefox.

Each time I start the guest (windoze xp) I get the error.

Looks like VMware is not interested in supporting free products.

If I have to go to virtualbox I will make the same recommendation at work.

Hell, it doesn't even look like VMWare is interested in support their payed for products either (We payed for VMWare Workstation). This is kind of sad that with all these people having the same issue that we having gotten a single response from VMWare about it yet...

0 Kudos
EdP2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try checking your vm guest settings. I found that somehow 'logging' had been turned on. When I turned off 'logging' the irritant disappeared.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

EdP - can you please tell me where you enable/disabled logging ?

I am trying to reproduce this problem since a while now ...

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
EdP2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found that the Visual Studio debugger was enabled in 'Replay' (Workstation-&gt;Options-&gt;Replay and unchecked the debugger/assert options).This was even set this way in linux guests!

I also changed replay.supported="FALSE" in the vmx file.

Unfortunately this message was annoying me so much I also turned off debugging in the vmx file

debugStub.allow = "FALSE"

I don't think the latter was at fault, but it was better set to false anyway.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Interesting - I tried to set those two parameters to "true" but I still do not get the dndlog.conf missing error.

Do you get that message if you set those two lines to "true" ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
Zick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My visual studio debugger was also enabled but for some reason I stopped getting the error message even with it enabled. I turned off the debugger anyways since I don't use it.

0 Kudos