VMware Cloud Community
IltonJunior
Contributor
Contributor

ERROR: Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0

Hi all!

I've just move (copy) VM folder from VMware Server to my ESXi 4.1 by scp command (Linux). After that I've add the VM to inventory. When I've played the Virtual Machine I got this error:

Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, '/vmfs/volumes/4c89ed89-aee32072-1cb3-842b2b49b612/Debian 503 Lenny/Debian 503 Lenny.vmdk'

Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7. Make sure that the disk has been imported.

This problem occurs even importing all VM folder by vSphere Client.

Anyone know why this error occurs and how fix it? Is it possible to do this (just copy and play VM) or I have to import VM by VMware Converter or VMware Go?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

The disk format used by VMware Server might be incompatible with the ESX one. You need to convert the virtual machine and its disks.

Use the free VMware Converter Standalone as your target is an ESXi server.

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/4_0

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
IltonJunior
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply AWo!!

I already have tried vCenter Converter, but I had other problem. When vCenter Converter did convertion and send the VM to ESXi, the size of disk (.vmdk) went grown up with total size. My vmdk file can grown up to 200GB but is being used just 95GB. I also tried change the disk type to thin on convertion configuration, but unsucessfull.

That's why I tried just copy the VM folder directly.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have more than one shared datastore and sVMotion?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos
IltonJunior
Contributor
Contributor

No, just one!

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm, then you could have used Storage vMotion and thereby convert the disk from thick to thin.

Then check this document and look for the clone option for virtual disks: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_vcli.pdf

It lets you clone a virtual disk and specify its type.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

IltonJunior
Contributor
Contributor

AWo thanks again for attention!

The Storage vMotion is paid right? I'm using ESXi, can I use it?

I've tried convert the disk I moved (by scp) using the vmkfstools to clone the disk with command:

vmfstools -i src_disk -d thin dst_disk

The results was the same before, a disk with full size, not just the used size.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, sVMmotion also works with ESXi. Which license do you own?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos
IltonJunior
Contributor
Contributor

Hi AWo!

My ESXi licence: vSphere 4 Hypervisor Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (1-6 cores per CPU)

As I said I'm trying to migrate from VMware Server to ESXi. On documents that I read sVMotion only works between vSphere Hypervisors. There's any way to work with VMware Server.

Still lost!

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

No, sVMotion works between datastores (FC SAN LUN's, iSCSI). By asking which license you use I asked for if you have a Standard or Enterprise license or whatever. Depending on that you own a sVMotion license. Then you only need a second datastore Smiley Wink

If the virtual disk blow up, then you can try to create a clone of that guest (once it is on the ESX host) and choose thin as the disk type of the clone. In case of a Windows guest you better run "sdelete" before cloning it, so the process which converts it to thin really finds free space.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Edited by AWo

0 Kudos
IltonJunior
Contributor
Contributor

AWo thanks for all support!!

Reading about ESX and ESXi I founded issue answer. On Ulli Hankeln document about VMDK (VMDK Handbook-basics - http://sanbarrow.com/vmdk-basics.html#top) I founded that ESX only work with pre-allocated disk (monolithicFlat) and my disk it was monolithicSparse. On document I also founded how to modify vmdk description file and how work vmdk geometry. So I figure out that I could convert my disk to monolithicFlat change the geometry parameters on description file then convert again. That way I've reduce the disk to size I wanted.

All is working fine now!!

0 Kudos