VMware Communities
steve02usa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to install VM Workstation v7.1.1 as pure 64 bit HOST not 32 bit HOST

Hello Everyone -

Thank you for taking time to read my post. I have been using VM Workstation since v3 and still use it today. My host machine is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, with 4GB memory and 2TB storage. I also have dual video cards. I have been running VM Workstation 7.1.1 with no problems but have noticed it continues to install into the Program Files (x86) directory on my HOST whenever I have applied updates, etc. I have always been under the impression that this folder, Program Files (x86) in Windows 7 64 bit is used for installing 32 bit applications. VM Workstation v7.1.1 is supposed to be good for both 32 bit and 64 bit HOSTS. My Question: How do I install VM Workstation v7.1.1 as a 64 bit HOST application on my machine? I think it is currently running as a 32 bit application, and I would like to have it running as a 64 bit application. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. The user documentation does not give any resolution to this question. It does not address the installation on the HOST and how to specify a pure 64 bit installation. One additional side note - My GUEST machines all run as 64 Bit with no problems of any kind. I'm running Windows 7, Linux RH Enterprise, Centos 5.3 and Fedora 13. All are in 64 bit mode and run perfect. VM Workstation is a great product !!!!!!

Again, thank you for taking time to read and answer my question.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Workstation for Windows 64 is a hybrid or however you would call it.

The GUI is a 32 bit application while the engine that actually runs the VMs is 64bit.

Thats why you find it in the default 32bit application path.

Check with taskmanager when a VM runs - you will see 32bit vmware.exe or vmplayer.exe. Those two give you the GUI.

And you will see a 64bit vmware-vmx.exe which is the applicatiojn that actually runs the VMs.

This means that you do not need to change anything. Mission is already accomplished.

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Workstation for Windows 64 is a hybrid or however you would call it.

The GUI is a 32 bit application while the engine that actually runs the VMs is 64bit.

Thats why you find it in the default 32bit application path.

Check with taskmanager when a VM runs - you will see 32bit vmware.exe or vmplayer.exe. Those two give you the GUI.

And you will see a 64bit vmware-vmx.exe which is the applicatiojn that actually runs the VMs.

This means that you do not need to change anything. Mission is already accomplished.

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
steve02usa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Continuum -

Thank you for the clear explanation. This answers it all. I really appreciate the assistance.

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

if your question was answered please mark it as correct or helpful.

This is the way to award users that help others Smiley Wink

Regards/Saludos,
Pablo

Please consider awarding

any helpful or corrrect answer. Thanks!! -

Por favor considera premiar

cualquier respuesta útil o correcta. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob