VMware Cloud Community
ericcwilliams
Contributor
Contributor

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation ...

I recently started getting this error after upgrading my ESXi 4 to ESX 4.1 which included a new VSpere client. Now when I use my VI client to attach to my ESX 3I server and try to start a console session i receive the following error:

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

I also receive the following error when trying to start a VM:

Unable to get the window handle for the 'AxQuickMksAxCtl' control.

Windowless ActiveX controls are not supported.

I receive the above until I close and reopn VI, the VM still starts and works.

I read some articles on here and microsofts site, all pointing to an issue with .NET 1.0 apps. Since I am running Windows 7 32bit .NET 1.0 is not installed and is not supported. However i still installed it in compatibility mode and is currently at .NET 1.0 SP3.

Can some one please give me an Idea where to go from here as i am at a complete loss, and do not want to run multiple PC's to manage multiple VM servers.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ericcwilliams
Contributor
Contributor

I have found a workaround for this issue, I also had an AxtiveX windowless control error also. Again this all happened after i installed the latest 4.1 VSphere client.

I did the following:

Uninstalled Both VI 2.5 and VSC 4.1

Deleted all Folders referencing these 2 programs.

editied BCDEDIT /set nx AlwaysOff

reinstalled VIC 2.5 (no issues)

Reinstalled VSC 4.1 (no issues)

Both clients are working properly with no errors at this time. if some one could actually validate that the changes i made will not harm the VSC or VI clients i would appreciate it. Also does this open me to any security issues.

0 Kudos
EnriquePHX
Contributor
Contributor

Eric,

I have the same problem on my Win7 box. Was wondering is this still working for you?

0 Kudos
ericcwilliams
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is still working, i just applied the same fix to my freshly installed windows7 install.

0 Kudos
EnriquePHX
Contributor
Contributor

I tried it on a couple of my machines, everything seems fine now. Thx

0 Kudos
ericcwilliams
Contributor
Contributor

I am glad i could be of help.

0 Kudos
ericcwilliams