VMware Cloud Community
buritto
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Web Server 2008 R2 black screen for 30 min after reboot.

Hi

I have a Windows Web Server 2008 R2 with VMware Tools build 256968 ( is up to date..)

64-bit 4GB Ram on a ESXi 4 Server-build 256968

After the last Windows Updates i try to reboot the Server... The Server is starting normaly.. but then i see a black screen for approximate 30 min.

I see nothing in de windows Log files... If i start the server in debug modus, the last entry for 30 min is classpnp.sys

I found this in the knowledge base

But it's not working...

You have an solution for this ? Smiley Happy

Thank you ...

Message was edited by: buritto

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rogard
Expert
Expert

Boot the VM in safe mode then change the Display driver to "Standard VGA"..see if that helps.

Check the HW version of the vm too

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

also, while your at it, I would disable hibernation. At the command prompt

This command also deletes the hiberfile.sys from C:\

0 Kudos
buritto
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for reply !

But both solutions don't working... Smiley Sad

After 30min the Server is working normaly... i see nothing in the logfile... and in the device manager looks all fine...

I try to boot in the diagnostic mode... it's the same...

0 Kudos
rogard
Expert
Expert

Was this a p2v? if so have a look for devices/drivers that are still hanging around

0 Kudos
buritto
Contributor
Contributor

no.. Is installed on VM ...

I see nothing.. what's happen with the drivers... is only black =;_(

0 Kudos
m341645
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue, fresh install of Windows 2008 R2. I had just applied a bunch of hotfixes and rebooted and I got a black screen. I was able to fumble around enough on what I assumed was the login screen to login and I tried to reinstall the VMware Tools but it didn't do anything. Neither did rebooting a number of times.

I found this article with no resolution and was about to rebuild the systembut figured it was likely to happen again since it was a fresh install to begin withso I tried one last thing and it worked. I went into the settings for the VM and changed the Hardware/Display settings from "Use host setting for monitors" to "2560 x1600" which is my primary display's native resolution. I also checked the box for "Accelerate 3D graphics." After powering on the box I got working video from the VM.

I'm not going to go back and test all possible iterations of what I changed to see what the cause was but I wanted to put this out there to see if it helps anyone else.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
DCjay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had samilar issue a while ago. I upgraded VMware tools and virtual machine hardware. After several reboot, the VM was black screeing.

I did alot troubleshooting, the only simple solution I had was to increase the size of video Ram from deafult of 4MB to 16MB. .

Regards

Onyema (Jay)

0 Kudos
satishchirala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

goto edit setting and change the video ram to 4mb which is default in vm ware,  or else if there is already 4 mb selected start the vm goto press f8 while staring the vm and goto safe mode and delte the display adapter  and restart the machine and install vmware tools..

0 Kudos