kicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No bridge with wifi

Workstation 7.0.1

Host Windows XP SP3

Guest Windows 7

With wifi on the host, bridged network allows network connections only, but no internet access.

NAT network allows both, however, but I’d prefer bridged. What can be done?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>>What can be done?

You should be able to use bridged with wireless.

Run the Virtual Network Editor and make sure the bridged adapter (VMNet0) is set for automatic and has your wireless and wired adapters checked in automatic settings.

If so, uncheck one and apply and then check it and apply again to "goose" the settings. This works for me on the rare occasion that the automatic setup fails to pull a IP from my router (wired and wireless). I do turn off the Bluetooth and VirtualBox adapters in the automatic settings.

I run both wireless and wired in a laptop with XP and Server guests.

Lou

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

in your scenario to get access to internet the only way is with a nat interface.

The host pysical wireless nic establish a connection with the AP and then the vm can navigate using the nat vnic.

In bridge mode doesn't work because el vm "sees" the bridge vnic as a ethernet and not as a wireless. Then only bridging works.

I'm sorry Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
kicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So the problem is not in the physical wifi adapter, like e.g. a lack of compatmode, but in the vnic?

Could things work differently, if I used a USB wifi stick instead?

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

yes, we can say the "problem" is in the vnic, not in the physical wireless nic.

Always the vnic (in bridge, nat and host-only) works as ethernet vnic. It doesn't matter the underlaying physical nic.

But, the USB wireless will be managed directly by the vm, then the vm sees the wireless as USB. It should work Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>>What can be done?

You should be able to use bridged with wireless.

Run the Virtual Network Editor and make sure the bridged adapter (VMNet0) is set for automatic and has your wireless and wired adapters checked in automatic settings.

If so, uncheck one and apply and then check it and apply again to "goose" the settings. This works for me on the rare occasion that the automatic setup fails to pull a IP from my router (wired and wireless). I do turn off the Bluetooth and VirtualBox adapters in the automatic settings.

I run both wireless and wired in a laptop with XP and Server guests.

Lou

0 Kudos
kicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

louyo, I got it working with your settings:

vm equipped with vmnet0.

on host: ethernet and wifi adapters with "IP automatic".

in guest: LAN adapter with "IP automatic".

For routers with MAC filtering:

In vmx file, enter a fixed MAC, following the rules of kb 507

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/507

ethernet0.address = "00:50:56:10:11:12"

ethernet0.addressType = "static"

In router: The vm's MAC address 00:50:56:10:11:12 into list of "allowed",

MACs of any nic on host and guest without pairing to static IPs.

Many thanks.

Tom

0 Kudos
lzaharia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, but my network requires fixed IP, I can't set it to automatic. And it work when set it up for the first time (even for automatic), but if the computer goes to sleep or turned off, when restarted my adapter is no longer in the list on the Virtual Network Editor. I have VMWare server 2 and the adapter works great on the host only. Any help please??!!

0 Kudos