VMware Cloud Community
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Network uplink redundancy lost

I have 2 vmnics connected for my service console. they are split in between 2 cisco 3560g -24 switches. vSphere

if I disconnect one nic (shut command in the switch or physically disconnect the cable) I lose only one ping which is OK. Bur when I connect the cable back to the same port i am losing 7 pings. Same with both vmnics.

I have tried the same think in different environment vi3. Cisco 6500 switches. getting the same results.

Please help me to understand this

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Spanning Tree? Did you set the port to "portfast"? If not, read up on it and try it.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

portfast it is only good for end node and should not be set on trunk ports which my esx hosts connected to. Setting my trunk ports with spantree could cause more problems....

Resolved the problem by switching to Beacon Probing policy. I am losing only 3 pings now but I do not get disconnected from the service console

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos
RBurns-WIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Portfast simply disables spanning tree.  It's recommended to all ESX host facing interfaces.  ESX vSwitch, DVS and the 1000v do NOT run spanning tree so there's no risk disable STP (enabling portfast).  Yes - Even on trunk links this is fine.

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos