VMware Communities
ProJectTechAnsw
Contributor
Contributor

Using VMWare Fusion with external Drives

I have been a user of VMWare Workstation for some time. In a windows environment, I was able to save primary drive space by moving my virtual machines to an external drive. I am looking to do something similar with VMWare Fusion. I am looking for some guidance since I have not yet purchased the product and I don't want to crater my MacBook. Does anyone have any insight into my concern?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Frankly you have nothing to be concerned about. You can download Fusion and try it free for 30 days just like you can with Workstation.

Also I move Virtual Machines between Workstation and Fusion and visa verse on external drives and the network and run then from both as well.

rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I do this all the time but my external drive is a Mac-formatted HFS+ volume. I create, copy ane archive test VMs (Win7 flavors, Ubuntu, and Fedora). In my archive I have Win2000, 98, FreeBSD and many flavors of Linux. If I intended to share these machines with Workstation I would format my drive as FAT32 and make sure my virtual disks are in split 2 GB format. My OS X uid is the same on all my Macs but if it wasn't I could change owernship (chown) the files as root and fix that.

For VMs brought over from Workstation, make sure you don't have any host-dependent device paths and convert them to Fusion VM bundles by appending .vmwarevm to the enclosing directory (folder name).

rnoddy
Contributor
Contributor

Not only can you but the VM on an external drive, this is a better configuration. Switching between the macOS and Fusion will be much fast as the disk thrashes a lot less.

0 Kudos